Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weathers not the same guy

Weathers not the same guy

Watching Weathers today, he just doesn't look like himself out there. I'm wondering after that scare he had when he said his arm went numb, that now he is afraid to throw without holding anything back. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't lights out before the arm thing, but he did seem to have a lot more movement on his pitches. If I'm right he may never be the same, and it might be best to go our seperate ways by trading or DFA. Who knows anything about a pitcher on the Lookouts squad, his name is Carlos Alvarado, he's got an era of 1.42 pitched 31 innings with 41 strikeouts. Seems very impressive to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers not the same guy

Quote Originally Posted by nc redsfan
    Watching Weathers today, he just doesn't look like himself out there. I'm wondering after that scare he had when he said his arm went numb, that now he is afraid to throw without holding anything back. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't lights out before the arm thing, but he did seem to have a lot more movement on his pitches. If I'm right he may never be the same, and it might be best to go our seperate ways by trading or DFA. Who knows anything about a pitcher on the Lookouts squad, his name is Carlos Alvarado, he's got an era of 1.42 pitched 31 innings with 41 strikeouts. Seems very impressive to me.
    I haven't gotten a very good look at his face lately, but from a distance he does look like Phil Mickelson. It is kind of odd that Weathers has started going down hill near the same time that Mickelson threw up on himself at the US Open. I think you see where I'm going, they've switched places and Mickelson can't pitch right handed.

When a person is Weathers' age, I don't think they recover 100% from "severe tendonitis" in 4 or 5 days or how ever long it was he took off after the shoulder incident. Perhaps he is as recovered as he is going to be anytime soon or even ever; but, I think he is out there on a wing and a prayer because at this point the team doesn't have any other options THEY (Krivsky et. al. as opposed to the posters on this board or talk show callers) feel are any better.

I am sure the team is looking on the outside for options and also hoping that on the inside someone at AA or AAA might see the oppurtunity looming and get their butt in gear and reach out for it.

With the AS break coming up, I think we might see Stormy go on the DL this week if there is anybody at all they can bring up. Besides the 3 days of the break, the Reds have off days on the 17 and 24. Theoretically, they could wait and disable him on the last day before the break and have him back on the 25th with only 10 games missed. This assumes that 2 weeks rest might actually help him regain some form; and that they have somebody they feel wouldn't do any worse.

Otherwise, as agressive as Krivsky has been at addressing other situations, I have trouble believing he won't try a major remake of the pen over the break.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    I haven't gotten a very good look at his face lately, but from a distance he does look like Phil Mickelson. It is kind of odd that Weathers has started going down hill near the same time that Mickelson threw up on himself at the US Open. I think you see where I'm going, they've switched places and Mickelson can't pitch right handed.
    I agree, Weathers does look alot like Mickelbreasts, I mean Mickelt*ts, Hefty, Lefty, whatever you want to call him. Unfortunately for Weathers, he's puking all over himself like Phil the Thrill did on the 18th at the Open and I see no end in sight.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Weathers has been stolen from the Reds and repalced by this:
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

85 mph on a fastball isn't going to get it done. It's time for the Reds to get rid of him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Weathers has been stolen from the Reds and repalced by this:
    They brought Jimmy Anderson back?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    85 mph on a fastball isn't going to get it done. It's time for the Reds to get rid of him.
    I don't think I would cut him without a DL stint. The guy was decent earlier in the season before the numbness incident. I tend to agree that Weathers isn't healthy. Krivsky just needs to put the guy on the DL if there is any plausible way to get him there. Give him a couple of weeks of rest and then some rehab time. If he can't come back from that, then I would cut him. It seems like the timing of the last injury and Weathers' recent downfall seem to coincide. As for finding other talent in the system or elsewhere, I can't imagine the cupboard is THAT bare.

In a related thought, I would like to give credit to all of the posters who saw the problems with the graybeard bullpen that was being put together this offseason. Those posters were correct that injuries and age would catch up with the aging core of the bullpen. Weathers is just the most recent example.

I love Weather's grit and determination out there, but the results from his efforts just aren't materializing. Maybe he's in a slump. Maybe he's done. That's for the caoches to figure out.

He seems done to me. Maybe a trip to the DL could help, but it's not like he would come back with much more stuff.

Here's a question...why in the hell has he not been put on the DL to rest his arm? He went from severe tendonities and a numb arm to back out there and losing games for the Reds in a span of about four days. Why did they not shut him down for a few weeks and give him a chance to rest?

Oh, wait, because he is a "veteran" and "veterans" don't seem to have to do that on this team. A DL stint and some rehab time in Louisville would have been a nice thought for him, but guess not. Irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Here's a question...why in the hell has he not been put on the DL to rest his arm? He went from severe tendonities and a numb arm to back out there and losing games for the Reds in a span of about four days. Why did they not shut him down for a few weeks and give him a chance to rest?

Oh, wait, because he is a "veteran" and "veterans" don't seem to have to do that on this team. A DL stint and some rehab time in Louisville would have been a nice thought for him, but guess not. Irritating.
    I'd imagine he feels like he can work through any pain he might have. The thought of going on the DL with rehab and a possible stint in Louisville can cause any player to say...."it's not too bad" when in reality his arm is falling off. Only he knows the pain of his arm, although all fans now know the pain of his pitcing results. The idea of management overlooking any injury because he is a veteran is a stretch.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

This is a no-brainer. Weathers either is pitching injured or he's toast. The downturn in his performance has been immediate and severe since he complained of tendonitis. In May, he posted a 2.70 ERA. In June, the wheels fell off as his ERA plummeted to 10.80.

I'd put him on the DL, give him some rest and relaxation, and see if he can recapture his command. We owe him that much after all he did for us in '05, not to mention the first two months of this season. We stand to gain as much as he does from a rebound.

Meanwhile, Encarnacion is hitting .381 in six games at Louisville. Now there's someone who doesn't belong on the DL! Saddle him up --- and now! We need all the offense we've got to offset our stinko bullpen.

I've posted before about this, but I really don't understand why guys would continue to try to "work through it" when they are hurt (assuming Weathers is, in fact, hurt). I can understand going out once or twice in an attempt to get through it but to then keep going out to get bommed isn't macho, or scrappy, or fighting. It's plain stupid. It hurts the team, may further hurt your injury and could jeprodize your employment.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I've posted before about this, but I really don't understand why guys would continue to try to "work through it" when they are hurt (assuming Weathers is, in fact, hurt). I can understand going out once or twice in an attempt to get through it but to then keep going out to get bommed isn't macho, or scrappy, or fighting. It's plain stupid. It hurts the team, may further hurt your injury and could jeprodize your employment.
    or you become Paul Wilson.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?