Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Flash Gordon?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Flash Gordon?

    Flash Gordon might be the best bet for the Reds to improve there bullpen. He has been very effective as the Phillies' closer and is third in the NL with 21 saves and a 2.12 ERA. The Phillies are out of it so maybe they'd be interested in moving him and his three year $18 million dollar contract.

    How about Chris Denorfia, Ryan Wagner, and Travis Chick for Gordon and Rheal Cormier.

    The trade adds depth to the pen as Cormier has been pretty effective this season but is about a hundred years old and can't be in the Phillies future plans.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  2. #2
    GO XAVIER! toledodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    overland park, kansas
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    gordon as closer would be a great idea. it would allow us to move coffey to the setup role which i believe he would be better at. i just wonder how much it would cost the reds to pull it off. the reds and phills have pulled off alot of trades together over the last few seasons.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.


    Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

  3. #3
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Flash Gordon might be the best bet for the Reds to improve there bullpen. He has been very effective as the Phillies' closer and is third in the NL with 21 saves and a 2.12 ERA. The Phillies are out of it so maybe they'd be interested in moving him and his three year $18 million dollar contract.

    How about Chris Denorfia, Ryan Wagner, and Travis Chick for Gordon and Rheal Cormier.

    The trade adds depth to the pen as Cormier has been pretty effective this season but is about a hundred years old and can't be in the Phillies future plans.
    Gordon will be more expensive than that IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  4. #4
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Gordon will be more expensive than that IMO.
    It will take, at least, Austin Kearns to get Gordon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  5. #5
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    958

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    we dont have enough to get gordon! there are cheaper alternatives. I like borowski(fla) wickman(cle) and hawkins(bal) these guys can be had for a lot less than Gordon.

  6. #6
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Gordon will be more expensive than that IMO.
    Maybe, but the guy is almost 39 years old and making lots of money. Also, Denorfia gives them the option of moving Abreu or Burrell. Wagner and Chick have enough potential to nudge the trade.

    What do you think it would take to land Flash and Rheal?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  7. #7
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,747

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Maybe, but the guy is almost 39 years old and making lots of money. Also, Denorfia gives them the option of moving Abreu or Burrell. Wagner and Chick have enough potential to nudge the trade.

    What do you think it would take to land Flash and Rheal?
    Hard to say at this point. Really depends on the market.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  8. #8
    Member Phhhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    That would be chancey. Gordon is a heck of a pitcher, but he's 38 and the Reds could really end up hating life for the next two years by taking that on. Since Philly was confident enough to lock him up that long, I would guess that they are prepared to ride out that contract. They have a very good nucleus of young players in Howard, Rowan, Rollins, Utley and Burrell. It's not like they have to rebuild from the ground up, so they probably feel like they can reload in the offseason and make another run next year with Gordon anchoring their pen. Now, if they took some of the risk factor away by paying some of that contract, it may be worth looking at. But, they are more likely to look for a better option than Denorfia with Abreu's future with that team up in the air.

    Substitute Kearns for Denorfia and ask Philly to foot the bill for about half of what Gordon is owed and we may be in the ballpark. Would hate to give up on Chick, though.

  9. #9
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,275

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    The Phillies have some desperate pitching needs. They might hop all over guys like Dumatrait and Shafer.

    Though I'd like the Reds to find a way to lose Milton in a deal like this.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #10
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The Phillies have some desperate pitching needs. They might hop all over guys like Dumatrait and Shafer.

    Though I'd like the Reds to find a way to lose Milton in a deal like this.

    Milton's going nowhere.

    But I absolutely believe that your first point is correct. And yes, Gordon would be an outstanding target.

    So would Paul Byrd (provided the Indians kicked in a little payroll).

    Both pitchers, I guarantee, could be had for nothing but minor league "talent" from the Reds' system. That's like buying two X-Boxes at thrift store prices.

  11. #11
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,275

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Milton's going nowhere.

    But I absolutely believe that your first point is correct. And yes, Gordon would be an outstanding target.

    So would Paul Byrd (provided the Indians kicked in a little payroll).

    Both pitchers, I guarantee, could be had for nothing but minor league "talent" from the Reds' system. That's like buying two X-Boxes at thrift store prices.
    I'm no fan of Byrd's (IMO he'd be assaulted by LHBs in the GAB), though his season has been on the upswing of late. I really wouldn't want his 2007 contract.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #12
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm no fan of Byrd's (IMO he'd be assaulted by LHBs in the GAB), though his season has been on the upswing of late. I really wouldn't want his 2007 contract.
    I'm no huge fan of Byrd's by any means, but when people carp on the fact of losing the major league talent in order find other major league talent, I look to a guy like Byrd, who, because of his salary, would really only cost the Reds minor league sculch in return. So the risk lies in the money it takes to acquire him, not in the talent. And the guy is pretty horse-ish--a steady 6 2/3-7 inning guy on a regular basis.

  13. #13
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,682

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Milton's going nowhere.

    But I absolutely believe that your first point is correct. And yes, Gordon would be an outstanding target.

    So would Paul Byrd (provided the Indians kicked in a little payroll).

    Both pitchers, I guarantee, could be had for nothing but minor league "talent" from the Reds' system. That's like buying two X-Boxes at thrift store prices.
    I really can't see a deal involving Paul Byrd, who is owed $7.5M next year, being anything we want to touch. The only way I'd do that is if the Indians paid his salary for the rest of this year, and that's going to be too much money changing hands for that to make any sense. I thought about him until I was reminded that the Indians badly overpaid for him. Of course, if he somehow was Milton's replacement, as in we were able to dump Milton and take on Byrd with the same $, I'm not sure I wouldn't think long and hard about that scenario. I probably wouldn't do it, but it would be tempting.

    Honestly, I was shocked to see how consistent Byrd's numbers are over the years in various venues. But he would scare the bejeebies out of me start after start with his flyball tendencies in GAB and his salary is a little high for what I think he brings to the table.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #14
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I really can't see a deal involving Paul Byrd, who is owed $7.5M next year, being anything we want to touch. The only way I'd do that is if the Indians paid his salary for the rest of this year, and that's going to be too much money changing hands for that to make any sense. I thought about him until I was reminded that the Indians badly overpaid for him. Of course, if he somehow was Milton's replacement, as in we were able to dump Milton and take on Byrd with the same $, I'm not sure I wouldn't think long and hard about that scenario. I probably wouldn't do it, but it would be tempting.

    Honestly, I was shocked to see how consistent Byrd's numbers are over the years in various venues. But he would scare the bejeebies out of me start after start with his flyball tendencies in GAB and his salary is a little high for what I think he brings to the table.
    I'm hoping the days of pissing and moaning about salary for a playoff push are over.

  15. #15
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,682

    Re: Flash Gordon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm hoping the days of pissing and moaning about salary for a playoff push are over.
    $7.5 due Byrd in 2007 is my concern. That was why I originally looked him up, thinking he was on a one year deal. But he got two years at $14.5 M out of the Tribe, and that is not going to be easy to deal in the offseason. Byrd is obviously an upgrade over Milton and Mays, but I'm not sure at that price he is worth it. This is still a business, after all.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25