Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Gordon?

Flash Gordon?

Flash Gordon might be the best bet for the Reds to improve there bullpen. He has been very effective as the Phillies' closer and is third in the NL with 21 saves and a 2.12 ERA. The Phillies are out of it so maybe they'd be interested in moving him and his three year $18 million dollar contract.

How about Chris Denorfia, Ryan Wagner, and Travis Chick for Gordon and Rheal Cormier.

The trade adds depth to the pen as Cormier has been pretty effective this season but is about a hundred years old and can't be in the Phillies future plans.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Flash Gordon?

gordon as closer would be a great idea. it would allow us to move coffey to the setup role which i believe he would be better at. i just wonder how much it would cost the reds to pull it off. the reds and phills have pulled off alot of trades together over the last few seasons.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Flash Gordon might be the best bet for the Reds to improve there bullpen. He has been very effective as the Phillies' closer and is third in the NL with 21 saves and a 2.12 ERA. The Phillies are out of it so maybe they'd be interested in moving him and his three year $18 million dollar contract.

How about Chris Denorfia, Ryan Wagner, and Travis Chick for Gordon and Rheal Cormier.

The trade adds depth to the pen as Cormier has been pretty effective this season but is about a hundred years old and can't be in the Phillies future plans.
    Gordon will be more expensive than that IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    It will take, at least, Austin Kearns to get Gordon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

That would be chancey. Gordon is a heck of a pitcher, but he's 38 and the Reds could really end up hating life for the next two years by taking that on. Since Philly was confident enough to lock him up that long, I would guess that they are prepared to ride out that contract. They have a very good nucleus of young players in Howard, Rowan, Rollins, Utley and Burrell. It's not like they have to rebuild from the ground up, so they probably feel like they can reload in the offseason and make another run next year with Gordon anchoring their pen. Now, if they took some of the risk factor away by paying some of that contract, it may be worth looking at. But, they are more likely to look for a better option than Denorfia with Abreu's future with that team up in the air.

Substitute Kearns for Denorfia and ask Philly to foot the bill for about half of what Gordon is owed and we may be in the ballpark. Would hate to give up on Chick, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Maybe, but the guy is almost 39 years old and making lots of money. Also, Denorfia gives them the option of moving Abreu or Burrell. Wagner and Chick have enough potential to nudge the trade.

What do you think it would take to land Flash and Rheal?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

we dont have enough to get gordon! there are cheaper alternatives. I like borowski(fla) wickman(cle) and hawkins(bal) these guys can be had for a lot less than Gordon.

Maybe, but the guy is almost 39 years old and making lots of money. Also, Denorfia gives them the option of moving Abreu or Burrell. Wagner and Chick have enough potential to nudge the trade.

What do you think it would take to land Flash and Rheal?
    Hard to say at this point. Really depends on the market.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The Phillies have some desperate pitching needs. They might hop all over guys like Dumatrait and Shafer.

Though I'd like the Reds to find a way to lose Milton in a deal like this.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

$6 million bucks a year for bullpen help ain't cheap, especially to be giving up talent of actual value.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Didn't the Phillies give him a three-year deal? If so the price will be high in both prospects and money considering he is 38 years old.

Here is another name to consider...RHP Joe Borowski of the Florida Marlins.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASAp...layerID=111244
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Here is another name to consider...RHP Joe Borowski of the Florida Marlins.
    The PTBNL for Cody Ross is still unnamed, maybe a low-cal sweetener can be added to get Borowski.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Sadly, I doubt the Phillies truly believe they are out of it. Knowing the Phillies, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went out and acquired some veteran pitching help. Based on all the past mid-season moves during the Ed Wade regime, and the recent "addition" (if you want to call it that) of Rick White makes me think that they won't perceive themselves as sellers at the deadline. Personally, I would love to see them become sellers and move guys like Gordon, Cormier, Rhodes, Dellucci, either Abreu or Burrell (if the deal is right, obviously), etc. It'll be a shame, too, since they could most likely get a good return for at least Gordon and Cormier if they play things right (which they more then likely wouldn't do, anyways). The Reds do seem like a good fit for at least one of them, as they have some attractive pieces that could be worked into a deal. Not so sure about Denorfia, though. Based on his numbers and what I have read about him, I don't know what he does that the Phillies can't already get in-house from Shane Victorino.

Worth The Wait

Not to derail the thread, but I'm still not sure why we aren't targeting Jamie Moyer..........assuming of course we're taking a "go for it" philosophy.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The Phillies have some desperate pitching needs. They might hop all over guys like Dumatrait and Shafer.

Though I'd like the Reds to find a way to lose Milton in a deal like this.

Milton's going nowhere.

But I absolutely believe that your first point is correct. And yes, Gordon would be an outstanding target.

So would Paul Byrd (provided the Indians kicked in a little payroll).

Both pitchers, I guarantee, could be had for nothing but minor league "talent" from the Reds' system. That's like buying two X-Boxes at thrift store prices.

Turn Off Ads?