Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Hall of Fame Hosts Vintage-Baseball Weekend July 1-2

Reds Hall of Fame Hosts Vintage-Baseball Weekend July 1-2

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index....=show&id=31401

CINCINNATI—The Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum celebrates America with a vintage-baseball extravaganza this upcoming weekend. The original Reds, the 1869 Red Stockings, are the stars during this fun and family-friendly weekend at the Reds Hall of Fame.

Kids will love meeting Red Stockings players and learning how to pitch and field the old-fashioned way. They'll check out children's toys from the 19th century and even try to make a 19th-century baseball. They can even pose for their own 1869 Red Stockings-style baseball card, in a Red Stockings uniform, personalized with their names, positions and other vital statistics. The photos are free with admission (limit one per family). These family-friendly activities will be available Saturday from from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m..

Sunday will also give Reds fans a chance to see vintage baseball in action. Stick around after the 1:15 p.m. Reds-Indians game for a three-inning showdown between the Red Stockings and the Cincinnati Buckeyes on the field at Great American Ball Park. Watch as these two teams play authentic, 1869-style baseball, just as it was played with America’s first professional baseball team. This exhibition will begin approximately 30 minutes after the final out of the Reds-Indians game.

Regular admission prices to the Reds Hall of Fame will apply all weekend.

Prices are $8 per adult, $7 per active military, $6 per senior (55 and older), $5 per child (3-12; younger than 3 is free) and $5 with same-day game ticket. Game tickets are required for entry once the ballpark gates open (two hours prior to the start of the game). Group discounted prices are also available. For more information, please call (513) 765-7576. Advance tickets may be purchased by calling (513) 381-REDS or at www.reds.com.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Hall of Fame Hosts Vintage-Baseball Weekend July 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Sunday will also give Reds fans a chance to see vintage baseball in action. Stick around after the 1:15 p.m. Reds-Indians game for a three-inning showdown between the Red Stockings and the Cincinnati Buckeyes on the field at Great American Ball Park. Watch as these two teams play authentic, 1869-style baseball, just as it was played with America’s first professional baseball team. This exhibition will begin approximately 30 minutes after the final out of the Reds-Indians game.
    Who are these people? Are they actual baseball players or Exhibition Joe Schmoes?

This whole thing sounds awesome by the way. Is anybody going?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

WAGS

they're probably these guys

Some of them might post here.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Who are these people? Are they actual baseball players or Exhibition Joe Schmoes?

This whole thing sounds awesome by the way. Is anybody going?
    Glad you asked. I am actually one of "those people". We play 1860s rules base ball - that's 2 words, not one - throughout the area and the Midwest - we'll be coming to Downer's Grove on August 12. We have 2 teams in the area, the Cincinnati Red Stockings and my team the Cincinnati Buckeyes. The big difference is that we play with a bigger ball which is smaller than a regular softball and larger than a modern baseball and we do not use gloves. There are some other differences but I'll leave that to our web site http://www.cincyvbb.com/

I will be at the HOF in my Buckeyes' uniform on Saturday afternoon and will be playing in the game on Sunday after the Reds game. We did this last year and it was a great time. One of our guys even made a DVD for everyone on our teams. So we got to watch that and basically make fun of each other. If you or anyone else has any questions, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I was there last year (can't make it this time)... it's fun. And Chip is the best player on the team!!!!

These teams (and others of the same vintage from all over the place) play a lot at Sharon Woods too. If you get a chance, go out and see them.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I was there last year (can't make it this time)... it's fun. And Chip is the best player on the team!!!!

These teams (and others of the same vintage from all over the place) play a lot at Sharon Woods too. If you get a chance, go out and see them.
    I was there too last year! Very interesting and fun... there is pbp and explains during the game.

Chip... will you be at all the Indians games or just Saturday and Sunday?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    I was there too last year! Very interesting and fun... there is pbp and explains during the game.

Chip... will you be at all the Indians games or just Saturday and Sunday?
    I will probably be there Saturday too. I do not think it is sold out yet.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Glad you asked. I am actually one of "those people". We play 1860s rules base ball - that's 2 words, not one - throughout the area and the Midwest - we'll be coming to Downer's Grove on August 12. We have 2 teams in the area, the Cincinnati Red Stockings and my team the Cincinnati Buckeyes. The big difference is that we play with a bigger ball which is smaller than a regular softball and larger than a modern baseball and we do not use gloves. There are some other differences but I'll leave that to our web site http://www.cincyvbb.com/

I will be at the HOF in my Buckeyes' uniform on Saturday afternoon and will be playing in the game on Sunday after the Reds game. We did this last year and it was a great time. One of our guys even made a DVD for everyone on our teams. So we got to watch that and basically make fun of each other. If you or anyone else has any questions, let me know.
    Oh that's sweet! I would love to see this, too bad I can't be there. I'll root for you, only time I can in good conscience root against the Red Stockings.

Chip...anybody ever go deep in game. With the way the ball is flying out of there now, my bet someone jacks one Sunday. Or do the Reds, to not get shown up by you guys.... bring in a humidor and bring those ball out for this game

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    Chip...anybody ever go deep in game. With the way the ball is flying out of there now, my bet someone jacks one Sunday. Or do the Reds, to not get shown up by you guys.... bring in a humidor and bring those ball out for this game
    Last year, during the game at GAB, we had one of our guys - not me - hit it to the LF wall on 1 bounce.

VP, you ought to check out some vintage teams in the area. As I said before, Downers Grove has a team and there is a team called the Chicago Salmon but their web site and schedule doesn't make any mention of a home field. It's really a laid back atmosphere and people just love it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Last year, during the game at GAB, we had one of our guys - not me - hit it to the LF wall on 1 bounce.

VP, you ought to check out some vintage teams in the area. As I said before, Downers Grove has a team and there is a team called the Chicago Salmon but their web site and schedule doesn't make any mention of a home field. It's really a laid back atmosphere and people just love it.
    They have a game coming up at the Historical Society! Awesome! Thanks Chip.

The pictures are terrific, and so are the NICKNAMES. Do you have a nickname? I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Is someone taking pictures this weekend and can post them?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    They have a game coming up at the Historical Society! Awesome! Thanks Chip.

The pictures are terrific, and so are the NICKNAMES. Do you have a nickname? I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Is someone taking pictures this weekend and can post them?
    I am called "Leadfoot" because I am not a very fast runner. Come over to DG and say hello when they have that festival in August.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I am called "Leadfoot" because I am not a very fast runner. Come over to DG and say hello when they have that festival in August.
    I will definitely try...especially since I just realized I'm going to be out of town for that Historical Society game

Hey...any reports or pictures from this?

Turn Off Ads?