Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey

Casey

I made the 6 hour trip to Pittsburgh this Sunday and saw an exciting 1 run game vs Detroit. I was sitting all around Pirate fans (while scoreboard watching the Reds) and the topic of Casey came up. They love him in Pittsburgh but it sounds like they have a young hr hitter to replace him with next year. Most seem to think he is a 1 year stopgap till this guy is ready. Not sure what his name is. They seem to think he would like to come back to the Reds. Also, when I was at the Reds game on B Larkin bobble head night, I was trying to get the first program of the year and it seems they are all out of them. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?
    Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Casey

Brad Eldred is the prospect 1B for Pittsburgh. He should be pretty good. Not Ryan Howard good, but good enough to replace Casey. As much as I like Sean Casey, the person, I don't want him coming back to Cincinnati next year to play. We have our own prospect in Joey Votto who should be getting close to making a splash in the big leagues. I'd rather they spent some of that money they'd possibly give to Casey to upgrade the bullpen or a free agent starter. As Scott Hatteberg proved, you can find a league average 1B pretty close to Spring Training if need be without having to spend millions of dollars on one.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I love Casey the person, but we got a guy at 1B in Hatteberg who's doing everything Sean could do with the bat at a fraction of the salary. And as a bonus, Hatteberg can make it around the bases in under 2 minutes.

Not that I'm suggesting we do it, but what if Casey says he'll come back for 500k [or roughly the same range as Hatte]?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Not that I'm suggesting we do it, but what if Casey says he'll come back for 500k [or roughly the same range as Hatte]?
    If he's interested in coming back for a 1 year, $500K salary and possibly platooning at 1B (doubtful), I'd consider it. Otherwise, no thanks.

And that's not to screw Casey, that's just to keep us from screwing ourselves.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Only take Casey if he is willing to sign on the cheap. Casey and Hatteberg might work well as a platoon, they are basically the same player, and Hatteberg could use the extra days off since he is getting up there in age. I know Casey is no spring chicken, either, but the two of them splitting time will keep both well rested and ready to contribute when they do play.

If Casey wants a multi year, multi million dollar contract, then I say forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    Casey and Hatteberg might work well as a platoon
    ... they both bat LH

Just say NO.

Hatte actual has much better numbers than Casey did. Probably a better fielder, and faster, but fewer hugs. If you bring Casey in, Narron will be even less likely to try Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ... they both bat LH
    And Casey is much better for his career against LH pitching than Hatteberg. Casey/Aurillia would also work. Hatteberg will be 37 next year, so it might be best to replace him with Casey, since Casey is about 5 years younger.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Hatte actual has much better numbers than Casey did. Probably a better fielder, and faster, but fewer hugs. If you bring Casey in, Narron will be even less likely to try Votto.
    Casey has a better fielding percentage for his career, putting up .998 last year and 100% this year so far. Casey also has 17 less errors despite playing almost 2,000 more innings there.

Also, if Casey comes in real cheap, it makes him easily expendable if Votto becomes an option.

Casey won't come back to be a part timer, and Narron wouldn't use him as one if he did.

He'd be starting and batting 3rd
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Casey won't come back to be a part timer, and Narron wouldn't use him as one if he did.

He'd be starting and batting 3rd
    If that is the case, he would be useless to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    If that is the case, he would be useless to us.
    I'm afraid that Would be the case.

Exactly....forget that.

I see Votto as a combo of almost Dunn like power and OB skills....to go along with the good Casey line drive hitting type.

I would rather Votto be given the chance ...than to keep putting casey out there.

Turn Off Ads?