Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New custom computer...Feedback?

New custom computer...Feedback?

Last Dec. I built a similar system and am quite happy with it, but that WAS 8 months ago and I have really been out of the loop since. That being said here is the build...I would REALLY appreciate any helpful feedback...need to order this by tomorrow.

Case:Thermaltake SOPRANO

Mobo:3 choices and not sure which...Click here for the 3

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Pwr Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A

Vid Card: SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT 256MB

Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
    & 2 other currently owned HDD's here at the house.

Optical Drives: SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM & NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X

Cooling: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro Cooling Fan with Heatsink

Speakers: Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers

There will be NO OC'ing to this rig. The BIG questions that I have are on the Video Card (esp.) and Mobo. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions w/o throwing my budget outta whack?

I really would appreciate any/all feedback/suggestions that you knowledgeable folks here can give me. Thanks a ton!

-Eddie

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New custom computer...Feedback?

Are you gonna play games or do any kind of video editing? If so, I'd think you'd want a video card with more onboard memory, although that thing looks pretty good. Newegg.com usually has some pretty good deals on refurbished video cards.

I also don't see a sound card listed. You can get a decent SoundBlaster for a reasonable price, and doing so would allow your system to run more efficiently.

As far as the motherboard goes, get the ASUS. It'll be worth it.
    Last edited by pahster; 07-10-2006 at 12:11 AM.

On the motherboard I have never had any trouble with EpoX boards, only company I can say that about, stay away from the Gigabyte at least.
    Go Gators!

One Man Army

Let's see...

I really like Thermaltake cases, but I'm not a fan of the model you have (as I have a similar one). For one, it gets really cramped in there. Two, the mobo screw holes are rather unreliable since they kept popping out. I don't know if the holes were drilled too big or what. Third, see the green slot holder for the video/sound card slots in this picture? They come off annoyingly easily. Fourth, the case that holds hard drives is a huge pain. Removing and reinserting it takes some effort and the holder screws they give you for the hard drives are typically uncooperative. Finally, the case itself gets scuffed and scratched rather easily.

Power supply typically isn't an issue, but I'm a fan of Ultra, who manufactures modular power supplies (meaning you don't have extra wires everywhere). Newegg stopped selling them for some reason, but they have a neat look, work really well, and also have plenty of cables that can glow in blacklit conditions.

As for the mobo, ASUS is a good way to go. Great tech support people if you have any issues, plus the board itself is snazzy.

At www.newegg.com they had an ASRock 939 MoBo for $67.00+S.H. It was set up for 1 AGP slot plus a slot for PCI express. I do believe it supports an Athlon 3800. Out of some 900 reviews or so it was awarded 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    At www.newegg.com they had an ASRock 939 MoBo for $67.00+S.H. It was set up for 1 AGP slot plus a slot for PCI express. I do believe it supports an Athlon 3800. Out of some 900 reviews or so it was awarded 4/5.
    I had the misfortune of having a system with an ASRock motherboard a number of years ago. Never again.

Agreed, cheap boards are fun for failure troubleshooting

If that's what you're into
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dman

I'm going with a AM2 chip, so no 939, but ty

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Looks like a nice system. In fact, I just ordered that DVD+R/-R burner for one of my existing (barely) systems. I have an old Gateway I bought 3.5 years ago, which I keep adding on drives and cards to try and keep up, but I'll be looking for a new box soon. That's a great system for what looks like around $1K. If you build it, I'd be interested in any comments you had on the parts and the performance after assembly...you know, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm guessing I'll be building mine around X-mas.
    I'll let you know how it goes with the burner when I get it.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

BTW, make sure that Sony drive is actually a Sony. I had the misfortune of accidentally buying a "Sony" DVR-RW that was actually manufactured by Liteon, which is a terrible brand.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    Looks like a nice system. In fact, I just ordered that DVD+R/-R burner for one of my existing (barely) systems. I have an old Gateway I bought 3.5 years ago, which I keep adding on drives and cards to try and keep up, but I'll be looking for a new box soon. That's a great system for what looks like around $1K. If you build it, I'd be interested in any comments you had on the parts and the performance after assembly...you know, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm guessing I'll be building mine around X-mas.
    I'll let you know how it goes with the burner when I get it.

Thanks...Yeah, after shipping and all, it was @ $1100. Actually, after rebates, it's closer to $1,000. Funny thing is, I know if I could have waited 2 weeks, it would have been a MUCH better system, with the new chips coming out, but so goes life.

Anyway, here is the final rig:

Case: COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3

Mobo:EPoX EP-MF4ULTRA Socket AM2

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Pwr Supply: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A

Vid Card: SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT 256MB

Ram:CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
    & 2 other currently owned HDD's here at the house.

Optical Drives: SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM & NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X

Cooling: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro Cooling Fan with Heatsink & ZALMAN VF900 – CU 2 Ball VGA Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Speakers: Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers

Still, this thing is pretty much a serious rig. If anyone has any questions and such, feel free. I ordered this early Monday (noon) and the whole thing, with standard shipping, will be here, per UPS tracking, by Thursday. Impressive, but that's newegg for ya

Turn Off Ads?