Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with LaRue

What to do with LaRue

The situation involving LaRue is extremely frustrating... The fact that Ross was benched after hitting two homers yesterday is baffling. Ross is showing no signs of cooling off and he would probably play better if he had a starting job. His numbers would look better overall even if his AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS dropped. I mean he would have just as much value or more value if he had 350 or 400 AB's... hit 30 some HR, batted .275 and maybe 80 RBI then what he is pacing right now. My gut feeling is with a starting job he would do even better and feel more comfortable with his role on the team and maintain his pace. Management is trying to shine LaRue up for a trade and it's costing us games. I mean come on... if he heats up he'll be batting what? .215? I mean he will still get practically no value and theres no point in costing us games by playing him as much/more than Ross. What we should do is play him part-time and let some desperate team needing a C (if there is a injury or something) claim him off waivers or maybe even trade for him if he slips through (probably will).

LaRue's value is so low, however, we are probably stuck with him unless we eat his salary. His career averages suggest he is a mediocre catcher and this year is probably a fluke. Nevertheless, we should play Ross everyday to increase Ross's value AND help us win games more. Then at season's end or even at the deadline we can deal Ross to someone and net some real return. If Ross catches around 5/6's of the games for the next month he would probably have stats around .285, 15, 50 in about 175 at bats or so and maybe even better. That could probably net some excellent relief pitching or even a more than serviceable starting pitcher if a couple more pieces are added.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with LaRue

Ross should be the Reds starting catcher until he proves that he shouldn't be. Enuff said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Three letters DFA
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Three letters DFA
    He makes too much $$$$$ to DFA him, if you have to trade him for nothing or eat a portion of the salary, then do it.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

He won't get hot starting 2 times a week, time to trade him for the best offer
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He won't get hot starting 2 times a week, time to trade him for the best offer
    the market for Larue, I would say, is zero.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

isn't nice to get rid of the three headed monster in the out feild and have another three headed monster at catcher the only difference is only one of them seems able to hit the ball. Ross should be starting 3/4 of the games.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Three letters DFA
    I'm sorry but that makes no sense.

You have to figure that at the very worst LaRue is a great back-up catcher. DFA'ing him means you likely eat his salary and he's gone.

I have no problem dealing LaRue if you can get out of the contract and get something of value for him and give Ross starting at-bats until he proves he does not deserve them.

Start him. I loathe David Ross.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I agree, AK. Larue's probably untradeable at full salary, but someone might take him if we picked up some of the money. Better than paying it all and getting nothing.

Anyway, Jason's poor hitting so far this year is, to use an economic term, a sunk cost. If they think he'll hit acceptably the rest of the year, then there's no reason to toss him overboard. Myself, I'm not sure what we'll get. His career suggests he's an average to above-average hitter for a catcher, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and catchers sometimes hit the wall in a hurry.
    Not all who wander are lost

Jason Larue 2006: 106 AB, .179 BA/.285 OBP/.311 SLG

David Ross 2006: 110 AB, .318 BA/.395 OBP/.709 SLG

David Ross 2004: 165 AB, .170 BA/.253 OBP/.291 SLG

What's interesting to me is that history shows us time and time again that 100-odd AB from players at their best or worst really doesn't represent who those players actually are. Just as David Ross circa 2004 or 2006 isn't the real David Ross, Jason Larue circa 2006 isn't the real Jason Larue.

And yet, here we are after 100-odd AB wanting to hand nearly all the catching starts to a guy who's never demonstrated anything over the long haul and we want to dump the guy with a history of performance for nothing. Heard the same thing this past offseason due to Valentin's 2005 small sample size overachievement. Wasn't a good idea then and it's not a good idea now.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Three letters DFA
    Three letters WHY?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Play the hot hand while it's hot.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Play the hot hand while it's hot.
    I agree with that.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Jason Larue 2006: 106 AB, .179 BA/.285 OBP/.311 SLG

David Ross 2006: 110 AB, .318 BA/.395 OBP/.709 SLG

David Ross 2004: 165 AB, .170 BA/.253 OBP/.291 SLG

What's interesting to me is that history shows us time and time again that 100-odd AB from players at their best or worst really doesn't represent who those players actually are. Just as David Ross circa 2004 or 2006 isn't the real David Ross, Jason Larue circa 2006 isn't the real Jason Larue.

And yet, here we are after 100-odd AB wanting to hand nearly all the catching starts to a guy who's never demonstrated anything over the long haul and we want to dump the guy with a history of performance for nothing. Heard the same thing this past offseason due to Valentin's 2005 small sample size overachievement. Wasn't a good idea then and it's not a good idea now.
    I think that you and I have been the only 2 saying that. I still agree.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?