Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fine China is now 3-0 with the Lookouts with a .000 era

Re: Fine China is now 3-0 with the Lookouts with a .000 era

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    in a few years, we can have a really terrible team with one good pitcher
    Which is why I really wouldn't go all-out at trying to win this year. I would rather keep guys like Deno, Votto, Chick, etc. around. I would try to deal one or two of the catchers, Aurillia, maybe Hatteburg and Freel, even Kearns if a ML ready pitcher is involved. An infusion of upper minors/young majors talent, even if it is only middle relievers and position players with league average cielings, will help ensure that the Reds are loaded for bear for Bailey's coming out party.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    in a few years, we can have a really terrible team with one good pitcher
    IMO to max out Homer Bailey a callup is not ideal. OTOH, the idea is to max out the Reds, not Homer.

Personally, I'd like to see Bailey finish the season at AA. They have already made the playoffs and are in 1st place in the 2nd half. Give the guy a chance to see teams for the 2nd or 3rd time to see if they can adjust to him and he can adjust back. Let him pitch in the AA playoffs.

On the other hand, if he has 2-3 more outstanding outings and the Reds manage to hang around ... it gets interesting. You could always bring him up and put him in the pen where he is likely to be a bit better protected as you can choose his spots ... or you could toss him in the deep end and let him start ... see if he sinks or swims. With the Cards having a down year, this might be a good year to throw caution to the wind and take a shot.

GL

I'm not gonna lie. I have no earthly clue as to the best route for Homer Bailey. I don't even have an idea.

I just think after a certain point it's a crapshoot. Hopefully he makes it and it works.

The only thing I wouldn't do is pitch him out of relief.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    IMO to max out Homer Bailey a callup is not ideal. OTOH, the idea is to max out the Reds, not Homer.
    exactly. the Reds' great problem is that they're top-heavy. There's reasonable talent in the majors, which Bailey could supplement immediately. There's nothing in the minors.

to bring up Bailey now is worse for Bailey, and for the teams' hope to maximize the number of good, cheap innings that he can give us over his lifetime. OTOH, it's arguably a better use of the total chances of the team to compete over Homer's lifetime if they bring him up immediately.

They can play it three ways-- 1. bring him up soon and hope that he contributes and the team plays well; 2. ignore him but add vets; 3. trade off vets for prospects to supplement the 2008 season and beyond.

I expect that they'll choose door number two because it's fiscally sound. But it's nice to see Homer's performance force the issue. I'd choose door number one, let him do some bullpen innings, but tell him that it's just a 14 day thing and that he's absolutely going back to Chattanooga at the end of that time. Let him change your mind. At worst, he'll learn that he has to work the other pitches. At best, you extend the trial indefinitely

I'm glad that Krivsky is making the decision!
    There and Back Again...

there is no way you move him up from aa, especially to the majors. thats just plain stupid. this kid is gonna be a no. 1 for years not a bullpen guy. for that, he needs to learn to throw other pitches than a fastball and locate them. it sounds like he is throwing mostly fb right now. i dont know, but id guess the reason his era was what it was in a ball is because his offspeed pitches were getting hit. no matter how hard you throw, if you cant locate it and throw off speed pitches, you will be hit in the majors. this kid should be in aa the rest of the year. and shouldnt be in the majors till he has proven he can throw his other pitches

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    1. Service time. Learn about it, understand it.
    I think that I understand it, and a couple of months in majors doesn't have much impact unless he becomes a "super two" (which does have a financial impact). The real tragedy, of course, would be if he hurts himself, then has to go on the 60 day DL for about a year because I don't think that an injured player can be optioned back to the minors. Montreal had a problem with Larry Walker, which cost them a cheap year

an early call-up also starts the clock toward Rule V. But that's probably not worth worrying about for Homer Bailey

Turn Off Ads?