Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisville(AAA) Pitching Help

Louisville(AAA) Pitching Help

Scott Chiasson http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Chiasson.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.89 ERA 36 Games 12 Saves 37.1 IP 27 Hits 3 HR 17 BB 23 K 1.18 WHIP

Brad Salmon http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...d-Salmon.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.59 ERA 16 Games 2 Saves 24.1 IP 18 Hits 1 HR 11 BB 30 K 1.19 WHIP

Tom Shearn http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...m-Shearn.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.53 ERA 20 Games 53.1 IP 46 Hits 5 HR 22 BB 40 K 1.28 WHIP

Chris Michalak http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Michalak.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.72 ERA 17 Games 96 IP 104 Hits 13 HR 20 BB 42 K 1.29 WHIP

Mike Venafro http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Venafro.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.29 ERA 34 Games 2 Saves 19.2 IP 19 Hits 0 HR 7 BB 15 K 1.32 WHIP

These are the five guys that deserve a chance to pitch in Cincinnati right now. We are all aware that Krivsky doesn't like to skip levels on the way to the show, so here is some bullpen help in Louisville(AAA). Am I crazy or are these guys ready to be moved up and given a chance to be better than what the Reds currently have? All of them have pitched well thus far.

Scott Chiasson last pitched in the big leagues in May of 2002 with the Cubs. He didn't get much of an opportunity with only 4.2 IP. He did get lit up for 12 earned runs in that time. That's hardly a large enough sample to judge him at the big league level.

Chris Michalak last pitched in the bigs in 2002 with Texas. He has a MLB ERA of about 4.6. He is 35 years old.

Mike Venafro pitched for the Dodgers in 2004, but only threw 9 innings. He has pitched in the majors in parts of 6 seasons with a career ERA of 4.11. He is 33 and left handed.

I think it's time that Krivsky gives, at least, a couple of these guys a shot to help in the bullpen. Salmon and Venafro would be the two that I called up first. None of these guys are on the 40 man roster. Someone would have to be dumped to bring one of them up.
    Last edited by Jpup; 07-04-2006 at 06:42 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Louisville(AAA) Pitching Help

Almost anything has to be better than what the Reds now have in the bullpen.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It's the roster issue plain and simple. That's the only reason I can see why any one of these guys aren't already on the big club. I'm not all that enthused about any of them, though. They are Burns/Hammond/White under different names.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    None of these guys are on the 40 man roster.
    They are not going to bring up guys off the 40, when they can bring up guys on the 40 (Burns/Wagner ).

You seem to have forgotten about Burns, BTW whose numbers at AAA are better than all the guys you mentioned.

31.2 IP 25 H 4 ER 1 HR 5 BB 30 K 1.14 ERA 0.95 WHIP.

We know Burns didn't do well in his stint with the REDS.

13.1 IP 30 H 13 ER 2 HR 3 BB 9 K 8.78 ERA 2.48 WHIP

Krivsky was mentioning the other night that he was giving Burns a mulligan on his last MLB performance since he practically went from the plane to the mound. (i'm guessing he meant Jun 18 vs. CWS).

However, whatever you do, if Krivsky brings any of these guys up...Narron has to give them work. What's been happening is that they sit on the bench for a week or two and then are expected to get ML hitters out.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have not really looked lately but it seems to me we may have a couple or three 40 man spots open on the roster. Wilson was just recently transferred to the 60 day DL and Hammond was DFA. Belisle took Hammond's place but he was already on the 40 man.

From what I have observed over the years, guys who aren't prize prospects that are in AAA only get called up if A.) They are pitching lights out and B.) They were signed by the current regime. We remember how long it took DanO to call up Booker last year. Maybe Wayne is different, I don't know. But I would look at those guys and see who they were signed by.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Scott Chiasson http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Chiasson.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.89 ERA 36 Games 12 Saves 37.1 IP 27 Hits 3 HR 17 BB 23 K 1.18 WHIP

Brad Salmon http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...d-Salmon.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.59 ERA 16 Games 2 Saves 24.1 IP 18 Hits 1 HR 11 BB 30 K 1.19 WHIP

Tom Shearn http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...m-Shearn.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.53 ERA 20 Games 53.1 IP 46 Hits 5 HR 22 BB 40 K 1.28 WHIP

Chris Michalak http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Michalak.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.72 ERA 17 Games 96 IP 104 Hits 13 HR 20 BB 42 K 1.29 WHIP

Mike Venafro http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Venafro.shtml
    2006 (AAA) 2.29 ERA 34 Games 2 Saves 19.2 IP 19 Hits 0 HR 7 BB 15 K 1.32 WHIP

Those 2. ERA's make me happy

Mike Burns has better numbers than any of them. Why not him?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    He's proven he can't get people out at the big league level.

Maybe because he's had three bites at the apple and has been a disaster each and every time?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I didn't forget about him, he has an era of almost 9 in 13 innnings with the big club. try something new.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I have not really looked lately but it seems to me we may have a couple or three 40 man spots open on the roster. Wilson was just recently transferred to the 60 day DL and Hammond was DFA. Belisle took Hammond's place but he was already on the 40 man.

From what I have observed over the years, guys who aren't prize prospects that are in AAA only get called up if A.) They are pitching lights out and B.) They were signed by the current regime. We remember how long it took DanO to call up Booker last year. Maybe Wayne is different, I don't know. But I would look at those guys and see who they were signed by.
    according to Reds.com, there are 41 guys on the 40 man roster, something is not right.

Paul Wilson and Grant Balfour are on the 60-day DL. So that should mean that there is 1 spot open to put the roster at 40. I am assuming that Krivsky is expecting one of those guys to come back within a couple of weeks or he would be adding another player. I still think they should have Hammond's spot open at the moment. It's kind of confusing, but surely one of these guys on the 40 can be moved to make room for Venafro or Salmon.

Jon Countlangus is pitching well for Chattanooga and he is on the 40 man roster. He's 26 years old, it's time for him to be moved to Louisville or Cincinnati. Why is a 26 year old pitching in AA?

Jon Countlangus
    2006 (AA) 2.38 ERA 34 Games 5 Saves 41.2 IP 25 Hits 19 BB 38 K 1.06 WHIP

The Reds have a lot of options to bring up guys who have been pretty decent this season at either AAA or AA. Why Krivsky doesn't do it, I will never know. I understand that the Reds front office have scouts and get reports on these guys on a daily basis. The only thing I can use is their numbers. Maybe there is something wrong with all 10 guys they could bring up and give a shot to? I just wish that someone would ask Krivsky why these guys can't be given a shot considering how bad the pen has been. The rotation needs an upgrade too.
    Last edited by Jpup; 07-05-2006 at 05:31 AM.

Per Marc:
    The Reds are loath to have players skip levels, but they may have to give Coutlangus a whirl sooner rather than later.
    Slip of the tongue?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Per Marc:

Slip of the tongue?
    He's a cunning linguist.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    He's a cunning linguist.
    Are the Reds going to be giving some of these guys a shot or is it "status quo"?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Per Marc:

Slip of the tongue?
    Only reason he will be given a shot is because hes on the 40 man roster.

Turn Off Ads?