Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Edwin still in AAA??

Re: Why is Edwin still in AAA??

Nobody knows, and we have an 11 page thread in the ORG in it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...=47192&page=11

Many of us are irritated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think they are buying time and EE is stuck in the middle.

I look for a remake of the pen over the break including the possibility of a trade involving one or more players now on the 25 man roster. They don't want to lose somebody now (McCracken?) to bring EE back if that person would otherwise figure to still be around after the potential trade.

When push comes to shove there are really only 3 ways to get EE back on the 25 man barring injury to a position player. A) Get rid of McCracken, B) Move a catcher or C) Go back to 11 pitchers. So, if EE makes it back before the break, they will most likely make room by DLing a pitcher (probably Weathers) and saying they only need 11 pitchers betwen then and the break.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    Jerry sure does like "waiting to see what happens" a lot.
    And before he knows it he will be looking up at the standings and find the Reds in Forth behind the Cards, Stros, and Brew Crew. Is it possible that anyone in this bullpen can get a man out? This team has yet to capitalize on St. Louis because they are actually playing just as bad as we are. It's so unfortunate that we had games won and then just given up. I hope when ever this team decides its time to make a move that we are still in the hunt and looking to make a run, not looking to unload and plan for next year.. cause next year never comes.

PS.. Recall Edwin and DFA Q

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11
    EdE has more range....I'll agree. But, getting the ball is the first part. Throwing it to the first baseman and not the dugout or 5th row is the second part. I feel much more relaxed when a ball is hit towards Castro than EdE (or Felipe) for that matter. Kind of like when Boone was down at 3rd. You sigh and say "automatic out" to yourself. EdE is learning and can only improve in his errors, but right now you can't say Castro doesn't play better defense than him.
    Juan has his share of issues at 3B. Juan has a .951 fielding %tage at 3B for his career, Edwin checks in at .944 this season. Given Edwin's far superior range, I'd rather have him manning 3B if ONLY defense was being considered. Edwin's defense figures to improve with repetitions, Castro's figures to erode with age.

GL

I think we need to bring the Idiotmobile out of the garage and use it to bring EE back from LOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Juan has his share of issues at 3B. Juan has a .951 fielding %tage at 3B for his career, Edwin checks in at .944 this season. Given Edwin's far superior range, I'd rather have him manning 3B if ONLY defense was being considered. Edwin's defense figures to improve with repetitions, Castro's figures to erode with age.

GL
    Well, looks like I was wrong. Edwin is indeed better at 3B. So why doesn't our GM or manager realize this?

Certainly the loss of EE and the sudden fascination with Castro is a detriment to the team but the pitching lacks depth and we will see that played out over the remainder of the season and it will eventually cost this team it's 500 record.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think we need to bring the Idiotmobile out of the garage and use it to bring EE back from LOU.
    Good thinking. The vehicle could also be retrofitted with a pile of feathers and soft pillows in the passenger seat to protect EE's tender ankle during transit

The idiotmobile could also be instituted as the Reds bullpen vehicle ferry. That would be very appropriate...

This EE situation has me baffled beyond belief. I'm starting to believe the hold EE back conspiracy outlined on the ORG thread.

Eddie is 1 for 3 in Louisville with a HR tonight. He is hitting .306 there according to MILB stats.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Blaming George for Castro's reputation is weird. Like it or not he's renowned for his defense by managers and gm's alike. It's not George that built up his reputation.

Maybe it's false, maybe it's not. But it's not George.
    A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty. Every game Castro plays, Marty goes on and on about awesome Castro is. Marty always says Castro is the one guy in baseball he'd buy a ticket just to watch to watch him play defense. Marty even said a couple days ago that one of the highest priorities the front office should have is resigning Castro for 2007.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty. Every game Castro plays, Marty goes on and on about awesome Castro is. Marty always says Castro is the one guy in baseball he'd buy a ticket just to watch to watch him play defense. Marty even said a couple days ago that one of the highest priorities the front office should have is resigning Castro for 2007.
    Please tell me Bob & Wayne don't listen to Marty.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I think they're using a little tough love with Encarnacion. They want to see some signs that he's working to improve defensively and they're not seeing it. His first game back he made a careless error that cost them a game. They're sending him a message that defense matters, that he's not guaranteed a job, and that he better continue working on his game if he wants to keep his job.

I think this is good. Young players need to learn the right way to approach their job.

And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, but he's better than he often is given credit for around here. If Felipe Lopez is going to give you such lackluster offense and downright lousy defense, I'm sure they look at Castro and see a guy who won't do much worse offensively and will give you great defense.

Defense is important and has cost this team some games. The frustrating thing for the front office and coaching staff, I'm sure, is that neither Encarnacion nor Lopez seem to be getting better, and many of their mistakes -- most of their mistakes -- are careless errors. That gets old. Castro gives them a guy who will make the plays and provide an alternative -- someone they can use to send a message to the two young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty.
    So now Marty is influencing the perceptions of managers and GMs throughout the league?

Wow, the power that has been bestowed upon that man is immense.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, but he's better than he often is given credit for around here. If Felipe Lopez is going to give you such lackluster offense and downright lousy defense, I'm sure they look at Castro and see a guy who won't do much worse offensively and will give you great defense.
    Castro is a DREADFUL hitter - career .232/.270/.339. In no way does his perceived defensive prowess make up for such putrid production (putriction?) at the plate.

And EE needs to play every day if he's not hurt. Every. Single. Day. How is he supposed to improve his defense if he knows that his next bad throw might mean a trip to the bench? He's 23 and extremely talented, for cryin' out loud, let him play.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player.
    I don't hate Castro, but I question that he a great defensive player. I question that he is even a good defensive player.

GL

Turn Off Ads?