Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Dunn in Home Run Derby?

No Dunn in Home Run Derby?

They've announced a tentative roster of the members of the home run derby next week, with some players undecided and a couple of roster spots open yet. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication that Adam Dunn will participate. The rules have varied over the years on how the rosters are made up. I recall it used to be only voted in players, but I am not sure if it has always been that way. Some I am unsure if Dunn would even be eligible, or if he would want to participate for that matter. Does anybody else feel like this event is right down his alley? If you are looking for players that hit dingers and hit 'em far, than Dunn is the poster child for the event. Maybe it's just me making a silent cry to see him blow everyone away in the competition (barring Bobby Abreu going off again). Any thoughts?
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No Dunn in Home Run Derby?

You have to be on the All-Star team roster to participate in Home Run Derby.

Side Note: I think the Home Run Derby is way too over hyped now. It isn't even that fun to watch anymore.

I don't remember Dunn taking part in it when he was an All-Star....maybe he just didn't want too. It has lost it's allure over the years, but that doesn't change my desire to see Dunn out there someday. Wishful thinking I guess.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Man think if Griffey made the all star team, only three-peat champion in home run derby history. They would have to invite him to it.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati35
    I think this is a stupid rule. Fans would love to see the best home hitters compete in this contest. Dunn is obviously one of the best and hits the ball extremely far. He would be a great contestant. Wily Mo would be good too for the competition. I used to watch this competition all the time. Now, I'll watch it if it's on tv and I'm bored, but I definitely won't go out of my way to make sure I see it. Throw in Dunn, Wily Mo, and Juan Castro and I'd be sure to watch it again this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati35
    I'm almost positive they made an exception last year, because they needed someone from a different country to do it as an international competition. Does anyone else remember that?

Maybe to inspire the masses to watch the All-Star HR derby, maybe the league winners decide the homefield for the World Series
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Dump it, it's silly.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Dump it, it's silly.
    The HR derby, or the rule?

The derby
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

They need to go back to the skills contests that happened in the 70s and 80s. I remember going to the ASG @ Riverfront and watching Dave Winfield break mounted glass targets from RF with his arm. IIRC, Andre Dawson was there with him, and Kirby Puckett was trying to compete with them, but didn't come close.

We need to see things like best OF arm, best C arm, and other related fun skills aside from hitting the longball.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    They need to go back to the skills contests that happened in the 70s and 80s. I remember going to the ASG @ Riverfront and watching Dave Winfield break mounted glass targets from RF with his arm. IIRC, Andre Dawson was there with him, and Kirby Puckett was trying to compete with them, but didn't come close.

We need to see things like best OF arm, best C arm, and other related fun skills aside from hitting the longball.
    After Larkin tore a ligament in his throwing arm they scrapped the skills competition. I was 14 when they had the ALL Star game in Cincy. It was held on my birthday. My mom went all out and bought tickets to the game and the workout. I remember Winfield firing bullets at the glass. I remember Santiago nailing the bullseyes at 2B like it was no big deal. Joe Carter was MASTERFUL in the bunting competition.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I think the HR Derby is extremely boring...

...but I would like to see what Dunn could do.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    I think this is a stupid rule. Dunn is obviously one of the best and hits the ball extremely far. He would be a great contestant. Wily Mo would be good too for the competition.
    Too bad he's not worthy of being considered an All Star with his sub .200 BA with RISP, current pace to set a modern day record for errors by an OF, and sub .230 overall BA. Time to get off his asse and show us why he deserves to be an All Star.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    The derby
    I think it's still fun for the players and the fans who are there, although it would be nice if they'd come up with something more interesting for the tv audience.

Turn Off Ads?