Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More playing time for Castro

More playing time for Castro

Could we be having a platoon between Lopez and Castro at SS? Kind of sounds like it to me.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...607050335/1071

Castro gets playing time
    Reds notebook

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

MILWAUKEE - Brandon Phillips led off Tuesday against the Milwaukee Brewers.

Juan Castro started at shortstop for Felipe Lopez, and Ryan Freel did not start.

"Without Freel and Lopez, it falls to (Phillips)," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Honestly, I feel comfortable with wherever he hits. I think he's going to give us a good at-bat."

Phillips went 1-for-3 with a walk. He had his string of 16 straight successful steal attempts snapped in the first inning.

It was Lopez's third day off in a week.

"It's been a grind here before the All-Star break," Narron said. "I'm trying to get Juan out there as much I can."

The addition of Castro gives Narron another alternative at shortstop - a sure-handed one and a right-handed-hitting one. (Lopez is hitting .209 against right-handers.) Castro makes it easier to rest Lopez, Narron said.

PROJECTION: Ken Griffey Jr. missed 26 games with a strained biceps tendon in his right knee.
    Factoring in that missed time, if you project his current numbers - 18 homers, 50 RBI - he would have 26 homers and 76 RBI.

HOMER PERFECT: Johnny Almaraz, director of player development, has two reasons why No. 1 prospect Homer Bailey has been better since he was promoted from Single-A Sarasota to Double-A Chattanooga: distorted statistics and rest.

"He made a lot of strides in Sarasota with mechanics," Almaraz said. "Statistically, his numbers weren't great, but he did everything we asked him to.

"We also held him back a start to refresh him."
    Bailey, a 20-year-old right-hander, went 3-5 with a 3.31 ERA for Sarasota. He's 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts for Chattanooga.

Though the Reds don't have the strict limits on pitch counts that they had under Dan O'Brien, they want to keep Bailey to 140-150 innings. He's at 87 2/3 so far.

"We'll evaluate him," Almaraz said. "If he's still going strong, we might let him keep going. If he shows fatigue, we'll hold him back."

FARM REPORT: Joey Votto was named the Southern League player of the month for June. Votto, a 22-year-old first baseman, hit .355 with eight home runs, 24 RBI and five steals.

Dayton's Jay Bruce extended his hitting streak to six games by going 3-for-4 with two doubles and a home run. Bruce has 33 doubles and 57 RBI and is hitting .319.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More playing time for Castro

I really think you're reading too much into this, Chip. I think Narron is simply saying that now that they have an All-Star caliber defensive SS, with veteran presence, they are better able to rest Felipe Lopez.

Honestly, I think that Castro won't get more than a couple starts a month at SS. Felipe could use a little rest every now and then, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As tempting as it is to rip that, let's face a hard truth first: Against a left-handed pitcher, Felipe Lopez is almost as poor a hitter as Juan Castro. So if they think he needs days off now and then, sitting him against LHPs is the way to do it.

I'd like to see them work Freel into the lineup on those days, though.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    As tempting as it is to rip that, let's face a hard truth first: Against a left-handed pitcher, Felipe Lopez is almost as poor a hitter as Juan Castro. So if they think he needs days off now and then, sitting him against LHPs is the way to do it.

I'd like to see them work Freel into the lineup on those days, though.
    It's sad but you're right. Against LHP, Lopez has a .588 OPS and Castro's is .564.

I agree. Phillips at SS with Freel at 2B would be better than starting Castro.

Juan Castro is the bane of my existence.

I loathe Juan Castro as a member of the Cincinnati Reds ©
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    It's sad but you're right. Against LHP, Lopez has a .588 OPS and Castro's is .564.

I agree. Phillips at SS with Freel at 2B would be better than starting Castro.
    Castro's will stay there. Lopez's most likely will not.

This thread makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Yep. Castro actually hits RHP better anyway with a .248/.254/.341 line. That's a .595 OPS for those who don't like to add.

From 2003- 2005, Lopez had only a .673 OPS vs. LHP (including a woeful .303 OBP). That's pretty atrocious. And, of course, he's actually hitting worse vs. lefties this year. He *could* improve, but that's far from "most likely."

Now, Juan Castro isn't the answer to anything, so I'm not advocating for more playing time for him. But having him in vs. a lefty now and then doesn't adversely affect this team much more than having Lopez there. Lopez hasn't shown any propensity to hit LHPs throughout his career, and he's showing no signs of improving there either.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

This whole discussion burns me up. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who would choose even playing Juan Castro over Felipe Lopez is totally insane. Castro is one guy who should be used as a defensive replacement only. The fact that he even starts a game is nearly unbelievable.

This is Jerry Narron. For all of you in love with him, these are the warts that we have to live with for two years.

And when, as we now see, that dream of a playoff year dwindle into oblivion go up in smoke, we're still stuck with him two more years. Whats even scarier is that the new regime, one which I thought was so much better, likes him ever so much.

I'd beat my head against the wall, but the last few seasons I've done it so much that it doesn't even hurt anymore.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

How will Lopez ever have a chance to improve against lefties if his manager won't let him face them?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    How will Lopez ever have a chance to improve against lefties if his manager won't let him face them?
    His manager(s) have allowed him to for years, yet he has regressed. So, that concept is out the window. Let him work with Chambliss on his approach/ mechanics on hitting right handed, not against live pitching.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Lopez should hit lefthanded against lefties, his right handed swing has no timing and is pretty much a bad looking (effectiveness wise too) swing. Castro is probably a good replacement to go against lefties every third lefty to rest Lopez a little bit.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    From 2003- 2005, Lopez had only a .673 OPS vs. LHP (including a woeful .303 OBP). That's pretty atrocious. And, of course, he's actually hitting worse vs. lefties this year. He *could* improve, but that's far from "most likely."

Now, Juan Castro isn't the answer to anything, so I'm not advocating for more playing time for him. But having him in vs. a lefty now and then doesn't adversely affect this team much more than having Lopez there. Lopez hasn't shown any propensity to hit LHPs throughout his career, and he's showing no signs of improving there either.
    So...if his lifetime OPS versus lefties is .673, then my statement that Lopez's current .588 is due to improve against lefties is accurate, no? I didn't say Lopez would correct to a .900 OPS against lefties, just that he was underperforming at .588. And, please, tell me, do you really expect Castro to improve his OPS from where it is? Or is Lopez the better bet to improve his OPS from where it is? My money would be on Lopez, but then again, I have not apparently learned to appreciate the sway that golden hands can have on my life too. I swear, he must be like a Tony Robbins informercial in the clubouse on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    Castro is probably a good replacement to go against lefties every third lefty to rest Lopez a little bit.
    If Lopez needs to sit against lefties, simply slide Phillips to SS and put Freel at 2B. There is never a need to start Castro, against anyone.

So...if his lifetime OPS versus lefties is .673, then my statement that Lopez's current .588 is due to improve against lefties is accurate, no? I didn't say Lopez would correct to a .900 OPS against lefties, just that he was underperforming at .588.
    .588, .673--both are bad. And spread out over the course of the few games each year that Castro would play over Lopez, they're statistically insignificant. Certainly not large enough to warrant significant concern on this team.

And, please, tell me, do you really expect Castro to improve his OPS from where it is?
    Nope, and I never said that it would. Not sure where you're getting this one.

Or is Lopez the better bet to improve his OPS from where it is?
    I really don't know. Lopez isn't that young anymore, either. People tend to forget that he was a "late bloomer." I'm more of the mind that what you're seeing from Lopez over the past couple of seasons is essentially what he is. I'm not holding my breath for his epiphany on how to hit left-handed pitching.

My money would be on Lopez, but then again, I have not apparently learned to appreciate the sway that golden hands can have on my life too. I swear, he must be like a Tony Robbins informercial in the clubouse on a daily basis.
    The cup of hyperbole runneth over.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?