Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote in last 2 all stars?!

phcaptjim

Vote in last 2 all stars?!

Well I just got the token MLB email about voting in the last two all stars and Griffey is not a candidate. This stinks! Of course there is another Met (Wagner) and Garciaparra.......I'm fed up with the whole All Star process, game, etc. Griffey should most certainly be on this final ballet and the fact that he is not really burns me up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vote in last 2 all stars?!

I'm as big a Griffey fan as there is on this board, but I don't think he deserves to be on the final balot.

Plus, I doubt he would go if he wasn't voted in as a starter. I'm guessing his pride would make him decline an offer to be a reserve.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Griffey, who missed some games earlier this season, should not be on the final ballot, IMO. All of the players on the final NL ballot are more deserving than Griffey, again my opinion.

I think a little rest would be better for him anyway.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If the All-Star Game "really counts" (as Capt. Bud likes to say) then I'm not sure the fans should have any say whatsoever. And if it "really counts" then each team shouldn't have to have a representative -- it should be the best 25 players.

The whole 30th man ballot is ridiculous. Just name the team already. You've already given fans the vote for starters, do we really need to drag this out any further?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    If the All-Star Game "really counts" (as Capt. Bud likes to say) then I'm not sure the fans should have any say whatsoever. And if it "really counts" then each team shouldn't have to have a representative -- it should be the best 25 players.
    If that was the case the manager picked them, you know that it would probably be all White Sox if Guillen was the coach for the AL team...

I can't believe he said he would add Crede as the next available player for a hurt one even if it was a pitcher. Has anybody heard if Schilling or (who was the ommitted guy that had like 10 wins in the AL besides Schilling?) has voiced their opinion about this and all? And Buehrle making it ahead of Schilling and likes...pfft!!!!

Mussina is the guy you're thinking of that Ozzie omitted...

Schilling was somewhat disappointed, but did not "over" react:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...o_starry_eyed/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Mussina is the guy you're thinking of that Ozzie omitted...

Schilling was somewhat disappointed, but did not "over" react:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...o_starry_eyed/
    Yes, that is it...thanks for the link also.
    I don't know how I forgot about the Moose, heck he is on all four of my fantasy teams, just a slow and tiring day today I guess.

I won't vote in this since there are no additional reds on it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Schilling himself voted for Halladay, Santana, Mussina, Kazmir, and Verlander. The 10 game winners who didn't make the roster in the AL are Verlander, Schilling, Beckett, and Garcia, but Verlander is the only one of that group with an ERA below 3.50. You might be thinking of Liriano, who's 9-1 with a ridiculous 1.99 ERA, but he's far behind the others in IP, since he's only started 9 games.

Imagine just what Liriano's record and numbers would be if he would have started from the beginning of the season?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I had to vote for Liriano. There is no reason at all that Ozzie passed on the pitcher who leads his league in ERA by over half a point. If Liriano is not an All-Star, they shouldnt play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60
    Imagine just what Liriano's record and numbers would be if he would have started from the beginning of the season?
    Probably not all that much better since Minnesota offense just woke up in the last month. He pitched a bit out of the pen and did great at that as well. He's not 1.99 ERA good, but he is as good as any I have seen in a while. I wouldn't yet put him into the elite ranks of Johan Santana, but he's Dontrelle Willis from about 2 years ago. He's only going to get better as long as he isn't overworked and continues to pitch in the same rotation as Santana.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Junior has an .848 OPS and 50 RBI

Kearns has an .854 OPS and 49 RBI.

Yes, I know there's an AB difference. My point remains...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think Phillips is the one who got screwed here. He deserves to be on this ballot as much as anyone. He is having a GREAT year and without him the Reds would not be anywhere near as good as they are right now

Turn Off Ads?