Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Positional Flip

Cubs Suck!

Positional Flip

While we have all been flipping out over the lack of accomplishments of this bullpen some have pointed out Felipe's errors as part of the reason for the meltdowns. I don't think this is a valid excuse for the bullpen, but I am a believer that we should do anything we can to improve behind these pitchers because most of them aren't going to strike anyone out with their less than dominating stuff.

I am a new member but have been reading these threads for at least a year. I know it has come up previously, but after the break they really should flip Phillips and Lopez. While I know this may cause some initial upheavel the team should be willing to live with some errors on the switchover - the team has been living with them anyway. As we move towards a potential post season I believe the Reds are better off addressing it now. Can you imagine if one of these double plays fails to be completed in a playoff game? I know the front office and Narron say they might do it in the offseason, but I see no reason to wait. If Phillips had never played short or Lopez had never played second I would feel differently about it, but they have both played games at both positions. In looking at the minor league stats it is clear that Phillips has probably played more games at short than 2nd and has also played more as a developing player (high school) at short than Lopez.

Am I crazy on this, Phillips clearly has better range right? I have been surprised given the recent gaffes that there hasn't been more discussion on this switch again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Positional Flip

Sorry but this is like the 1,000th thread on this subject.

Not like everything else doesn't get beat to death around here.

I think the move deserves some consideration, biggergipper.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I don't think you'll find too many around here against the move ... it has been discussed before. The largest difference you will find is the timing of the move ... some will say Yesterday! and some will want to wait until after the season.

To me is a no-brainer, however, Lopez might not see it that way. :-)

GL

Cubs Suck!

I apologize if it seems like I am beating the horse, it's just that relevance of the move is reinforced by the reality of an error or botched double play about twice a week in a game altering way.

I intended to also note that shortstops are generally paid more than second basemen and to rationalize that when dealing with Boras on Felipe's free agent status it might be helpful, but my research tended to lead me to the conclusion that it was not a valid point. the quality of player offensively tends to dominate what they get paid more than their positional placement. i was surprised, I worked under the assumption that shortstops were higher paid but it falls apart when you note that the offensive statistics bear out shortstops being slightly higher paid.

Quote Originally Posted by biggergipper
    I apologize if it seems like I am beating the horse, it's just that relevance of the move is reinforced by the reality of an error or botched double play about twice a week in a game altering way.

I intended to also note that shortstops are generally paid more than second basemen and to rationalize that when dealing with Boras on Felipe's free agent status it might be helpful, but my research tended to lead me to the conclusion that it was not a valid point. the quality of player offensively tends to dominate what they get paid more than their positional placement. i was surprised, I worked under the assumption that shortstops were higher paid but it falls apart when you note that the offensive statistics bear out shortstops being slightly higher paid.
    Most people on this board would agree that they should flip positions.

I think so as well, but so long as the flip doesn't hurt either of their offensive numbers, if that starts to falter with either, I would say move them back, that is something that we can just not afford to lose.

Turn Off Ads?