Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker on the hot seat

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Baker on the hot seat

From ESPN News Service:

The Dusty Baker era could be entering its final days with the Chicago Cubs.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry told Chicago reporters Tuesday he would use the four-day All-Star break to decide whether an overhaul, which could include firing manager Baker, is in order.

"I'll spend a lot of time over the break not just with the way the situation is, but with your own players. I'll sit back and reflect on the first half," Hendry told reporters.

"You are getting ready to go into a month where you have to evaluate what you have. You want to give everyone a fair chance to succeed," he said.

Tuesday's 7-2 loss to Houston dropped the Cubs to 23 games under .500 at 30-53. Chicago is just two games out of last place in the NL Central and 15 games behind the first-place Cardinals.

Among the candidates speculated to replace Baker, if he is fired, are former managers Lou Piniella, Tom Kelly, Jimy Williams, Gene Lamont and Braves third base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

Baker, whose contract is set to expire after the season, is 286-283 with the Cubs.

The Cubs were buried by errors last season and finished 79-83. Baker has taken heat for the Cubs' collapse against in the 2003 NLCS -- when they were five outs from the pennant before losing Games 6 and 7 to the Florida Marlins -- and for various comments he has made.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Once again they forget that Piniella is unavailable until after the season.

Lamont...are you serious? Maybe they should do a reference check first.. Why don't they just ask for Lloyd McClendon?

What about fan favorite Mark Grace? He's got to be on this list....

Miley is just wasting away in AAA. His current club is probably better than the Cubs (or my team).

You know...Canseco might be a great fit. Just in case any guys are wondering how this HGH stuff works. No better teacher than your manager.

In all seriousness I think Fredi Gonzalez deserves an interview. Throw in Terry Pendleton too.

I wonder why no one ever asks about Terry Kennedy?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baker on the hot seat

Miley is just wasting away in AAA.
    Now THAT'S funny.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Now THAT'S funny.

I was crying laughing when I wrote it... I almost bolded WASTING...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I wonder why no one ever asks about Terry Kennedy?
    Did you mean Kevin Kennedy?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The name I'm hearing as the leading candidate to replace Baker is none other than former Indianapolis Indians coach Razor Shines.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    The name I'm hearing as the leading candidate to replace Baker is none other than former Indianapolis Indians coach Razor Shines.
    Well, it's something I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Did you mean Kevin Kennedy?
    That would be worse than Dusty.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    That would be worse than Dusty.
    He's got a .531 winning percentage as a Major League manager -- he might not be so bad.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Getting Dusty out of Chicago would be a bad idea.

He's got a .531 winning percentage as a Major League manager -- he might not be so bad.
    Yeah, well that's what they said about Narron.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Yeah, well that's what they said about Narron.
    He actually had a .453 winning %

I think Kennedy would be a good fit in Chicago.

Aww bad news, we need Baker to remain in Chicago
    Go Gators!

Tom Kelly, Gene LaMont, Jimy Williams...surprised they didn't throw out old Giants skipper Roger Craig as well...

I was actually talking about Terry Kennedy, the Surf Dawgs manager. However, Kevin Kennedy wouldn't be a bad choice at all.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?