Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macdougal or Foulke?

Gary Redus Ruled

Macdougal or Foulke?

These guys are getting closer to returning. Im sure they could be had pretty cheap. I think theyd be pretty good targets for us. Thoughts?
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Macdougal or Foulke?

Even though he has struggled the past year with a various number of things, I personally would love to see Foulke in a Reds uniform.

There was talk earlier this year that Foulke's career may be over and that he would never be 100% again. With that being the case, I'd rather stay away from him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    There was talk earlier this year that Foulke's career may be over and that he would never be 100% again.
    One pitcher with serious knee issues is one too many. Pass on Foulke.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

MacDougal is marginal, but would be an upgrade to the current bullpen. He'd have to come cheap -- very cheap.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    MacDougal is marginal, but would be an upgrade to the current bullpen.
    I'd rather have Affeldt.

If Foulke was healthy and cheap, I would take him. But he's neither. I think this year he's due over 7 million. Macdougal has never been that good at any level and I'm a Royals fan.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 07-05-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Macdougal has never that good at any level
    nor healthy for very long

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I'd rather have Affeldt.
    I'm not doubting that you have a reason for this, but there is NOTHING in his profile to suggest he'll be any good either. Is this another of those LOOGY arguments?

Roster glue

Unfortunately, the Reds are in a position where they will have to look "outside the box" because quality BP arms will be at a premium; it is a seller's market this season, and we would have to give too much. At this point, though, I think most of us would accept a league-average 7th inning guy as a marked improvement.

Maybe Affeldt would be worth a long look (at least there is a possibility he will peak), but Weaver is finished...his HR rate has exploded the last two seasons. We don't want to be in a position to be looking at him unless the bidding level doesn't exceed Joe Mays.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Is this like "Hell or high water"? I'll take option c.)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm not doubting that you have a reason for this, but there is NOTHING in his profile to suggest he'll be any good either. Is this another of those LOOGY arguments?
    nope just that he is still young and has nasty stuff. As opposed to our bullpen which is old with no stuff. I'll take a stuff guy and hope he develops.

I'm just one who thinks Affeldt will eventually figure it out.

nope just that he is still young and has nasty stuff. As opposed to our bullpen which is old with no stuff. I'll take a stuff guy and hope he develops.

I'm just one who thinks Affeldt will eventually figure it out.
    Outside of Rookie League he's never had an ERA under 3.50 anywhere. Effective pitchers don't just "figure it out." He's a mediocre pitcher and always will be. He also pulls his groin about twice a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath
    Effective pitchers don't just "figure it out."
    Bronson Arroyo waves hi. He didn't figure it out until in AAA at 26.

Man Pills

Bronson Arroyo waves hi. He didn't figure it out until in AAA at 26.
    I don't mind taking a chance on Affeldt, but the thing is that Moore is now the GM, and he's probably not going to give him away--which is the kind of deal I'd want to get Affeldt in: a giveaway deal. I wouldn't want to waste anything by way of trading chips on such a severe gamble as Affeldt.

Turn Off Ads?