Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Milton to the Pen?

Milton to the Pen?

EM's line in the first inning of work:

12 ip, 12 h, 1 hr, 4 bb's, 10 k's, ERA 2.99.

Of course it would hurt the team's chances of shedding the last year of his contract, which would might be possible if he were to pitch well as a starter for the rest of the year.

If...
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton to the Pen?

I think that knee is degenerative and will only get worse.

The BP may be his only hope of prolonging/saving his career.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

My thought as well. He just runs out of gas after three innings.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I've been batting around him as closer in my head for a few weeks now. He's solid the first time through the order, and if he only goes one inning he can add a few MPH to his fastball, thus making his good changeup even more effective.

I think it would be a good move for both him and the team.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I've long been of the opinion that relief (and probably no more than one inning at a time) is the only place where Milton might not get his head handed to him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

On the surface, Milton to the pen is not a bad idea. He has pitched OK in the early innings, then he hits the wall hard! Of course, a suitable replacement would have to be found for the rotation--I don't think that the Reds would even consider the move unless they find a couple of pitchers that are better than Claussen and/or Mays to insert into the rotation.

However, here is a question that must be answered: What kind of recovery time does Milton need after he pitches? In other words, can he pitch on back-to-back days? I have a buddy who pitched in the Tigers system back in the 80's, and he said that it didn't matter if he pitched one inning or seven innings--his arm was toast the next day. If Milton is like that, then he is unsuited for the bullpen.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    However, here is a question that must be answered: What kind of recovery time does Milton need after he pitches? In other words, can he pitch on back-to-back days? I have a buddy who pitched in the Tigers system back in the 80's, and he said that it didn't matter if he pitched one inning or seven innings--his arm was toast the next day. If Milton is like that, then he is unsuited for the bullpen.
    That's certainly the question that would need to be answered with Milton.

In his case I'm not so worried about the arm, but rather the knee. Obviously if pitching on consecutive days causes him the same problem he runs into after a few innings then you've gained nothing (though you haven't lost anything either). Though it will always be an unknown until the team tries it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It's worth a shot as long as he can be replaced in the rotation. Also, there are plenty of guys in Louisville that having decent years, the FO should not be afraid to give them a try.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    It's worth a shot as long as he can be replaced in the rotation. Also, there are plenty of guys in Louisville that having decent years, the FO should not be afraid to give them a try.
    My call would be to start him til 7/31 to see if we can unload him. If we can't he moves to the pen for the remainder of the season.

Turn Off Ads?