Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Wise" Move?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

A "Wise" Move?

Mark Lancaster - Cincinnati Post:

MILWAUKEE - There's no denying Elizardo Ramirez has brought stability to the Reds' rotation since being called up in late April, but a bit of roster management will put his next start on hold.

Ramirez was optioned to Dayton Wednesday night, immediately following his eighth quality start in 13 opportunities with the Reds. His spot will be filled Friday by Edwin Encarnacion, who will be activated from the 15-day DL.

There also are indications that outfielder Dewayne Wise could be joining the Reds today in Atlanta. General manager Wayne Krivsky wouldn't confirm or deny that Wednesday night, saying the Encarnacion move was the only announcement the Reds had.

Sending Ramirez down is designed to take advantage of the upcoming All-Star break, as the young right-hander will be able to stay on his regular rest with the Reds and Louisville off Monday. After being optioned out, Ramirez can't be brought back to the majors for 10 days unless an injury forces another pitcher onto the disabled list, but that window will allow him to come back on schedule the weekend after the break.

Encarnacion will rejoin the Reds after missing nearly a month with a sprained left ankle. When he does, Krivsky emphasized Wednesday, he will be playing third base. The question arose after Encarnacion started at first base Monday and Tuesday for the Bats, but Krivsky said not to read anything into it.

"It's just an opportunity to see what he looks like over there and give him some exposure at another position," said Krivsky. "We're not looking at him to be our first baseman. When he comes back, it's playing third."

Aside from an inning at first base earlier this season, all 106 of Encarnacion's big-league appearances have come at third, including 50 starts this year. The 23-year-old has played first base in winter ball, and he may end up moving to the opposite side of the diamond at some point in the future, as throwing from third has been a problem at times.

Wednesday night, Encarnacion was back at third for Louisville in the opening game of a doubleheader. He served as the designated hitter in the nightcap.

In 10 games with the Bats, Encarnacion hit .306 (11-for-36) with three doubles, one homer, one RBI, two walks and 11 strikeouts.

Wise has been with the Bats for just over two weeks. The 28-year-old, who last played in the majors for the Braves in 2004, has completed a long recovery from a serious ankle injury that ended his chances of making the Reds out of spring training. That March setback forced Wise to rehabilitate in Sarasota for more than two months before he was cleared to play.

He hit .420 in 13 games for Chattanooga before being promoted and is hitting .250 in 15 games at Louisville. He sat out the second game of Wednesday's doubleheader after going 0-for-3 in the opener.

If Wise is brought to the majors, veteran outfielder Quinton McCracken is a likely candidate to be designated for assignment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A "Wise" Move?

Wise is supposed to be a pretty good defensive outfielder, right?

Do it Wayne. Wise brings much more to the table then Q does.

I'm all for this. Younger, more talented [at this stage of their careers], what else needs to be said.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

can't be any worse than Q. He's not going to play much though, hopefully.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Does this Wise guy pitch?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

According to WLW this move has been made. Q DFAd and Wise called up.

Now they may very well have to replace Shackleford in the BP also after being arrested for sexual assault.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Now they may very well have to replace Shackleford in the BP also after being arrested for sexual assault.
    Venafro, Coutlangus, or Gosling, I would think.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Coutlangus and Gosling are already on the 40 man. Same with Dumatrait and Burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    What are their numbers this year?

Not to change the subject, but have the Reds made a decision yet on Hammond? I'm assuming that they will release him, but is it official yet, or is he still DFA?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    What are their numbers this year?
    I made an entire thread on this. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48165

ESPN Transactions show Wise getting the call.

"Optioned pitcher Elizardo Ramirez to Dayton of the Midwest League (A); designated outfielder Quinton McCracken for assignment; activated third baseman Edwin Encarnacion from the 15-day disabled list; purchased the contract of outfielder Dewayne Wise from Louisville of the International League (AAA).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I like this move.

Spring Training is just that, but this guy absolutely tore it up. Plus he brings more to the table than McCracken did...

Turn Off Ads?