Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Guardado

Re: Reds acquire Guardado

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

He took a chance on Phillips and Ross, and look how it has turned out.
    He took a chance on Joe Mays
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Guardardo will surprise some people, he is a closer that was demoted, that has to have a negative impact on him. I think he stabilizes the end of the bullpen, with coffey in the 8th, him in the 9th. We now can groom Belisle and Standridge for the 6th-7th innings and still mix in Yan 6-8th. We are in a lot better shape than what we were, and I think you'll see Mays released when Claussen is ready. I still think we need one more arm in the pen, but I'm betting it will come from AAA or the waiver wire(REmlinger).

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Funny the rest of the pen did there job, but now Coffey is strugling.. I don't blame Coffey though.. Narron has got to stop going to him every night.

I think they would have been better off acquiring these....

I'm tired of getting these Mariner cast-offs
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I

I'm tired of getting these Mariner cast-offs

Wait a minute, *I* am a Mariner cast-off.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The Reds had Boston over no such barrel. Boston was as clear-eyed as possible about what they thought of Pena: a 4th outfielder. And he's got nowhere to play now unless Manny succumbs to injury. Pena's not valueless, but his perceived value by some Reds' fans is totally out of whack with the reality of his value in the eyes of other teams.
    And Boston was also clear eyed about Arroyo's value. Bullpen. And that was because they favored an aging 300 pound tub of goo in the rotation, and a shellshocked Matt Clement (who IMO needs a change of scenery.)

We've been over this, and I disagree. So, I'll drop it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

another good add

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    No more National League games for the Mariners to pile up a bunch of wins

On the plus side, Bavasi isn't exactly a good GM.
    That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence if Wayne got schooled by Bavasi.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I knocked it when it happened, I knock it now. If Arroyo goes all Jack Armstrong in the second half, I won't be smiling, and if he gets another 9 wins, I'll still knock the trade as I firmly believe the Reds had Boston over a barrel.
    If Arroyo finishes with a 4.3 ERA or lower and gives us 180 IP, the trade is still a steal. (An ERA like that means he made plenty of quality starts, which is all this offense needs). If we didn't have Arroyo, we'd have a total disaster in his slot, which would cost us a lot more games than Pena would win for us sitting on the bench. In addition, you'd have Kearns pouting because he has to share playing time.

Pena is a 4th OF. DanO screwed up by holding 4 OFs for so long. It was a stroke of genius for Wayne to grab Arroyo. It will be even more obvious in 2 years. When Pena becomes a free agent, he's going to be a journeyman. I like the guy, but the more I see of him, the more I'm convinced he's the next Glenn Braggs, not the next Sosa.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The Reds had Boston over no such barrel. Boston was as clear-eyed as possible about what they thought of Pena: a 4th outfielder. And he's got nowhere to play now unless Manny succumbs to injury. Pena's not valueless, but his perceived value by some Reds' fans is totally out of whack with the reality of his value in the eyes of other teams.
    That sums it up better than I did. There's no way the Reds had Boston over a barrel. A 4th OF that is never a high priority for a contender.
    Wayne recognized that Boston had a temporary surplus of pitching and pounced while all the other clubs were passive. Just like Wayne pounced at the chance to get Phillips (when supposedly there were 6-8 other teams interested).

I really don't mind Wayne grabbing Eddie G, Yan, etc and throwing them to the wall to see what happens. Wayne isn't trading any of our blue chip guys. The Carlyle-Kroon trade is a good analogy, because everyone cried over losing Carlyle because he had decent minor league numbers, but in the end Carlyle didn't amount to anything. This trade is likely to be trash for trash.
    There is a chance though that one of these bullpen arms Wayne picks up will stick, and maybe give us a start on next year's pen.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Put me down on the "likes" side of the ledger for this trade. Guardado might not have much in the tank, but even if he doesn't the trade is a wash at worst. If he does have something left its a major upgrade. If he returns to historical form its a stroke of genius.

Limited to no downside ... lots of room for upside.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Put me down on the "likes" side of the ledger for this trade. Guardado might not have much in the tank, but even if he doesn't the trade is a wash at worst. If he does have something left its a major upgrade. If he returns to historical form its a stroke of genius.

Limited to no downside ... lots of room for upside.

GL
    Me, too. At least Kriv is out there slapping band-aids on the holes and taking some action before the ship goes down. If there had been a better option, I'm sure he would have made a different move.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I don't have a problem with it either. Just this morning there was a report on ESPN radio that there are almost no players available on the trade market, and that it's likely to stay that way until 72 hrs. before the trade deadline (July 31).

The Reds needed help now, and this was a guy who was available. I don't think the Reds gave up all that much. Hopefully EG has something left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Aren't flyball pitchers very poorly suited for GAB?
    Flyball pitchers are not well suited to our ballpark.

Groundball pitchers are not well suited to our defense.

Now what?

Makes all the routine posts.

While I'm sympathetic that it might be hard to land better options at the moment, if Guardado gets rocked then the trade is not a wash as he'll only be exacerbating the team's bullpen woes.

It would be a wash if he pitched better than what the team's been trotting out, but still somewhere below average (something like a 4.50 ERA). That would be "improvement" without actually adding quality -- no real harm, but no real help either.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?