Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Guardado

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire Guardado

Well...it can't get any WORSE than the worst bullpen in the National League.

Have to try something I guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    Travis Chick career numbers. I'm not so sure I'm ok with this.
    Don't let Chick's numbers or starts fool you -- all the scouting reports I've read on the kid say that he really doesn't have the secondary pitches to start at the next level. He's a strictly fastball/slider kind of guy who will, if he makes it to the bigs, will have to live out of the bullpen.

Though, given the putridness of the Reds pen over the last couple years, he seems like the kinda guy you'd want to throw in the pen and fasttrack up to the bigs.

This move just doesn't make sense on any level.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

another Ex-Twin ... whoda thunkit

BTW, the Mariners are as much in the hunt as the Reds are which tells you something of what they think about Guardado (Soriano is having arm issues as well). Their closer, Putz, has been the most dominant reliever in the game this season.

Eddie has suffered from a slightly elevated h%(32) and his main problem has been the problem of most of the Reds relievers , gopherballitis.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-06-2006 at 04:03 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

The Mariners are sending cash along with Guardado, but how much hasn't been revealed yet.

Obviously Travis Chick wasn't the answer either.

He's another arm that looks like Seattle is paying us to off their hands. He might be good for a few rounds in the NL.

Where do you think relief pitchers come from? Costco? Geez, yeah it sucks that we can't get the quality, but if Jeff Weaver's getting tossed for Low A crap and there is fighting over Jason Johnson, well, what else is there?

I mean sure I'd love to have Scot Shields or Dan Wheeler or Neal Cotts or Aaron Heilman, but those guys are GOOD and at a PREMIUM and we don't have the depth to trade for those guys.

Put me down as OK with the deal. If it pans out, WayneK's a genius. At least he's doing SOMETHING. And if he sucks, (which he will probably do anyway) pull up this thread and smile at me and tell me "We told you so".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Obviously Travis Chick wasn't the answer either.

He's another arm that looks like Seattle is paying us to off their hands. He might be good for a few rounds in the NL.

Where do you think relief pitchers come from? Costco? Geez, yeah it sucks that we can't get the quality, but if Jeff Weaver's getting tossed for Low A crap and there is fighting over Jason Johnson, well, what else is there?

I mean sure I'd love to have Scot Shields or Dan Wheeler or Neal Cotts or Aaron Heilman, but those guys are GOOD and at a PREMIUM and we don't have the depth to trade for those guys.

Put me down as OK with the deal. If it pans out, WayneK's a genius. At least he's doing SOMETHING.

I was just getting ready to make a post very similar to this one, I'm willing to hold out judgement and give him a shot. Nobody else in this bullpen is stepping up right now.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Don't let Chick's numbers or starts fool you -- all the scouting reports I've read on the kid say that he really doesn't have the secondary pitches to start at the next level. He's a strictly fastball/slider kind of guy who will, if he makes it to the bigs, will have to live out of the bullpen.

Though, given the putridness of the Reds pen over the last couple years, he seems like the kinda guy you'd want to throw in the pen and fasttrack up to the bigs.

This move just doesn't make sense on any level.
    I agree and this is the exact type of thing I have feared they would do. Trading any type of real prospect for short term, old junk just to make a WC run in a horrifically weak NL is ignorance at the highest level imo.

got alil captain in u?

anyword if he's gonna be at the game in time tonite

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Guardado has been a very solid reliever for most of his career. Chick has regressed from his single A dominance, showing very little progress his 2nd year in AA.

This year he's gone:

84 IP, 4-5, 4.61 ERA, 77 K, 36 BB, 1.37 WHIP, 12 HR

That said, he's just turned 22 and still has some solid upside.

If Eddie pitches like he has in the past, this is a solid deal for us. If his rotator cuff is seriously borked, I must say I'm not a big fan. Time will tell...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ms are off today in the middle of a homestand.

Seattle to Atlanta is a loooong flight.

This really looks like an act of complete desperation.

The oonly possible upside is that Guardado has been unlucky with the HR ball as he has never allowed more than 9 over 2001-2005 and that with 8 already it will normalize. He does miss more bats than the rest of the Reds relievers but the truth is they still need a couple of more guys to come in and pitch well(even if EG does).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    anyword if he's gonna be at the game in time tonite
    I wouldnt be surprised if Castellini let the Reds use his private plane to pick him up.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    I agree and this is the exact type of thing I have feared they would do. Trading any type of real prospect for short term, old junk just to make a WC run in a horrifically weak NL is ignorance at the highest level imo.
    Chick was a Dan'O acquisition; I believe he came over from San Diego with Justin Germano in the Joe Randa deal.

Not great return on that deal, in hindsight -- a LOOGY who used to be famous and a soft-tossing AAAA arm.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I wouldnt be surprised if Castellini let the Reds use his private plane to pick him up.
    It looks like he'll join tomorrow (according to the Butcher press release I recieved) and a corresponding move will be made.

Final auditions to be held tonight.

Next we'll see Votto to Minny for the rights to bring Viola and Herbek out of retirement.

Turn Off Ads?