Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Guardado

Re: Reds acquire Guardado

We didn't pay for his entire salary.

CINCINNATI (AP) Trying to bolster their struggling bullpen, the Cincinnati Reds acquired Eddie Guardado and cash from the Seattle Mariners on Thursday for minor league pitcher Travis Chick.

The Reds made the trade a day after blowing two leads in extra innings before losing 6-5 in the 13th at Milwaukee. After the game, Cincinnati reliever Brian Shackelford was arrested on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault.

Guardado is expected to join the Reds in Atlanta on Friday. Cincinnati began the day two games behind St. Louis in the NL Central.

The 35-year-old Guardado had 36 saves with a 2.72 ERA in 58 games for the Mariners last season.

But this year, the normally reliable reliever known as "Everyday Eddie'' struggled and was demoted from the closer's role in May after blowing three save chances. Guardado was 1-3 with five saves and a 5.48 ERA, and was serving as a setup man for J.J. Putz.

"Eddie had some struggles early on this season that allowed some of our young guys to run the back of the game and they got that job and haven't let go,'' general manager Bill Bavasi said in a release.

The 21-year-old Chick was 4-5 with a 4.61 ERA for Double-A Chattanooga. The Reds acquired the righty from the San Diego organization last July in a deal for third baseman Joe Randa.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's get the run down here -

We got EE, EZ, now EG.

And we got a reliever who's been arrested because he doesn't have ED

Way, way, way too many vowels.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

absolutely wretched trade IMO.

Chick had upside. If you want to move him fine. Do it and package him with Deno or Votto to get some actual MLB talent, not a guy that likely should be DL'd for season/career ending shoulder surgery.

blech.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    This really looks like an act of complete desperation.
    Pretty much. At least, as CE noted, Chick wasn't really a world-beater. This reeks of the Ortiz-Moseley fiasco from last year.

36 years old, maybe? I don't know about this one.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

If he rebounds, we got a steal.

It's hard to argue with his numbers over the past few seasons.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The Reds will be getting rid of their vets before long anyway you look at it. Looks like organizational cleaning.

New blood, I guess, even if it is old.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

This reeks of the Ortiz-Moseley fiasco from last year.
    A middling prospect for a veteran on the downside -- very common. Cards made the same kind of trade yesterday. The bullpen needs a change of some kind -- maybe EverydayE will give it a lift.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

This is about as boring as a trade can get. Two pieces of junk traded for each other.

With our bullpen it's worth a shot I guess. Travis Chick will never be a decent major leaguer, not even close.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm not going to shed any tears for Travis Chick, but Guardado, because of his longball tendencies, was always going to be a guy who, when he went, would go in a hurry. Add baserunners to the gopherballs and you've got a toxic mix. It looks like 2006 is his cave-in year. Now, he's a lefty and he can still make hitters swing and miss a bit, so he might rebound in future years or carve out a niche as a LOOGY (hello Jesse Orosco). Yet I sincerely doubt Guardado's going to provide much help to the 2006 Cincinnati Reds.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

If my calculations are right, here are EZ's #'s since May 1st (he had a horrendous April)

19 Appearances
    1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Save
    14.3 IP
    16 H
    4 BB
    12 K
    3.767 ERA
    1.395 WHIP

Given his past #'s and the way this bullpen has performed, it can't hurt to bring him in here and see if he can help.

Giving up Chick hurts, but, he's a guy that's still been more hype than performance at this point. I hope they both do well.

Not Laughing

Wow...people beg and beg for a change in the bullpen and one is made and it gets ripped. Eddie is a guy who has been successful most of his career and is having a bit of a rough go the last couple of months. As far as I'm concerned, any change is a good change.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and give this trade the benefit of the doubt. Young, flame throwers are not avaliable. The teams that have those type of player don't part with them.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe
    If my calculations are right, here are EZ's #'s since May 1st (he had a horrendous April)

19 Appearances
    1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Save
    14.3 IP
    16 H
    4 BB
    12 K
    3.767 ERA
    1.395 WHIP

Given his past #'s and the way this bullpen has performed, it can't hurt to bring him in here and see if he can help.

Giving up Chick hurts, but, he's a guy that's still been more hype than performance at this point. I hope they both do well.
    That is good to hear.

For Chick?

Ugh
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?