Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Guardado

Re: Reds acquire Guardado

One bad year, really one bad month and everyone around here calls him garbage.

Typical.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    another Ex-Twin ... whoda thunkit
    Hey..if Wayne sticks around long enough maybe we can get Mauer..when he's 42
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Typical.
    Yep I would agree with you that he is not garabge.

I like the deal.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Wow...people beg and beg for a change in the bullpen and one is made and it gets ripped. Eddie is a guy who has been successful most of his career and is having a bit of a rough go the last couple of months. As far as I'm concerned, any change is a good change.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and give this trade the benefit of the doubt. Young, flame throwers are not avaliable. The teams that have those type of player don't part with them.
    I wanted K-Rod.

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe
    If my calculations are right, here are EZ's #'s since May 1st (he had a horrendous April)

19 Appearances
    1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Save
    14.3 IP
    16 H
    4 BB
    12 K
    3.767 ERA
    1.395 WHIP

Given his past #'s and the way this bullpen has performed, it can't hurt to bring him in here and see if he can help.

Giving up Chick hurts, but, he's a guy that's still been more hype than performance at this point. I hope they both do well.
    Of those stats Guardado had one good month this year in May. Other than that he has not been good the rest of the year. His ERA by month:

April: 8.31
    May: 2.25
    June: 4.50
    July: 27.00 in one appearance

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Yep I would agree with you that he is not garabge.

I like the deal.
    Give it time. You'll come around.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm not going to shed any tears for Travis Chick, but Guardado, because of his longball tendencies, was always going to be a guy who, when he went, would go in a hurry. Add baserunners to the gopherballs and you've got a toxic mix. It looks like 2006 is his cave-in year. Now, he's a lefty and he can still make hitters swing and miss a bit, so he might rebound in future years or carve out a niche as a LOOGY (hello Jesse Orosco). Yet I sincerely doubt Guardado's going to provide much help to the 2006 Cincinnati Reds.
    Don't forget to add the shoulder injury (rotator cuff) to the mix. Though I hope he can bounce back, all of the stars are aligning for EG to continue with his Chernobyl-like meltdown.

IMO, trading away Chick is like trading away Buddy Carlyle. The return looks every bit as flammable as Marc Kroon...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Wow...people beg and beg for a change in the bullpen and one is made and it gets ripped. Eddie is a guy who has been successful most of his career and is having a bit of a rough go the last couple of months. As far as I'm concerned, any change is a good change.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and give this trade the benefit of the doubt. Young, flame throwers are not avaliable. The teams that have those type of player don't part with them.
    It's only a good change if Guardado pitches well. If the guy who's been chucking for Seattle this year shows up then he'll be like pouring gasoline on the fire.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Hey, why not? Honestly?

I like the move. Ship him overnight and have him in Red for tomorrow night's game.

If he continues to pitch like he has over the last month & 1/2, maybe he could take over as closer and allow Coff to resume as setup man extraordinaire.

Just hope the M's are eating a large chunk of that salary.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Typical.
    Unlike you, the people I see who aren't so wild about Guardado have a history of being able to judge pitching talent.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

It's only a good change if Guardado pitches well. If the guy who's been chucking for Seattle this year shows up then he'll be like pouring gasoline on the fire.
    Guess the plan is miracle or disaster
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    Hey, why not? Honestly?
    That's probably the best argument for the deal. There is a slim chance it could work.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

That's probably the best argument for the deal. There is a slim chance it could work.

And if it doesn't work, we've sacrificed a marginal AA prospect and an undetermined amount of cash. Moderate risk, potentially good reward.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He's a had a great history of success. He's still striking out guys, which is good. He's been BABIP unlucky this year, which is good.

He's pitched badly this year, but better recently. His age is largely irrelavent, as we need him for about half a year.

What do you expect for a mid-prospect? If you want a Shields, you'll need to give up a Bailey.

We got a guy who might me good. That's what you get for a Chick.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    absolutely wretched trade IMO.

Chick had upside. If you want to move him fine. Do it and package him with Deno or Votto to get some actual MLB talent, not a guy that likely should be DL'd for season/career ending shoulder surgery.

blech.
    Hey Krivsky is trying something, Eddie could be ok or he could be horrible but atleast he is trying something. Chick is a never will be and will probably never be heard from again.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?