Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I were GM...

KennyGJr

If I were GM...

Ok guys, I’m not usually a fan of proposing made up trades with no real validity and this is my first post so I know I don’t have a whole lotta credibility here, but after thinking about some of the chips we have, I got an itch to try my hand at improving the team and wanted to know your reactions. I tried to look at the deals from opposing teams perspectives, and thus, I think all of them are deals the Reds could conceivably make (in some cases, perhaps, they could get even more). Anyway here it goes, let me know what you think:

Trade 3B Edwin Encarnacion to the Twins for MR Juan Rincon
    Explanation: Twins need some offense, Reds need bullpen help. May seem like a lot to give up but good relief pitching is hard to find as we know.

Trade LF Adam Dunn to the Angels for SS Erick Aybar, SP Ervin Santana and MR JC Romero
    Explanation: The Angels are desperate for a bat and Santana’s name has been floating around. With Kendrick, Wood, Cabrera and Izturis, the Angels can afford to move Aybar. I would push for Kendrick or Wood, but again I was going for realism. Romero, another former Twin reliever, would seem like a guy Kriv would jump on and having a bad year, perhaps could be thrown in. Maybe doesn’t seem like the ideal package for Dunn, but in my mind, if you can get Santana, a potential 10 year top of the rotation guy, its worth it.

Trade OF BJ Szymanski to the Cubs for MR Scott Williamson
    Explanation: Williamson’s been making some comments lately. Cubs probably looking for some youth, though it may be naive to think they’d help a division rival. I’d sweeten the pot a little if necessary, but wouldn’t go overboard.

Trade SS Felipe Lopez to the White Sox for SP Brandon McCarthy
    Explanation: This might be a stretch as well, but if possible, it would be a shrewd move to take advantage of the White Sox glut of SP and lack of a quality SS, and with Aybar on board, the soon to be expensive Lopez becomes expendable.

Note: This next trade is in fact the first trade I would make (because most of the others probably would have to be offseason deals) and would do it immediately if agreed to. I put it last, because it is probably the least realistic from the Reds perspective (although I do believe the Dodgers would seriously consider it) and wanted to build up to it, so it made more sense.

Trade SP Bronson Arroyo to the Dodgers for MR Jonathan Broxton and 3B Andy Laroche
    Explanation: Not much SP out there. The NL West is there for the taking, so the Dodgers would probably be willing to pay for a guy whose been one of the best in baseball thus far. Broxton is a future closer (something the Reds need more than starters at this point) and Laroche replaces Encarnacion as the 3B of the future. I know it would be very hard from a PR standpoint for Kriv to move Bronson at all let alone while we're very much alive, but his value will never be higher and quite frankly, I don’t think he’s this good.

2007 Reds
    Lineup
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Erick Aybar
    CF Ken Griffey jr.
    RF Austin Kearns
    1B Joey Votto
    LF Chris Denorfia
    3B Andy Laroche
    C David Ross
    Bench
    Util Ryan Freel (could beat out Denorfia)
    1B Scott Hatteberg (re-signed as bench/insurance for Votto)
    IF Rey Olmedo
    C Javier Valentin (get rid of Larue anyway I could)
    OF Best 4th OF/PH type I can get
    Staff
    SP Ervin Santana
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Brandon McCarthy
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Elizardo Ramirez
    LRP Matt Belisle
    LHMR J.C Romero
    LHMR2 Brian Shackelford
    RHMR Scott Williamson
    RHMR2 Todd Coffey
    SU Jonathan Broxton
    CP Juan Rincón

Summary: Maybe the lineup isn’t what it has been, but its young and talented. The defense is much improved with Edwin gone and Aybar replacing Lopez at short. The real key is the pitching. I feel the Reds go from one of the worst staffs in the game a year ago to one of the best young staffs around. We have 3 potential aces and a potential dominant future closer, plus proven (and still pretty young) commodities in Harang and Rincon. All in all, I know this will never happen, but I don’t think I’m crazy in thinking each individual move would be doable from the other team’s perspective and thinking that the Reds would greatly benefit if this was the team next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If I were GM...

Trade 3B Edwin Encarnacion to the Twins for MR Juan Rincon
    Explanation: Twins need some offense, Reds need bullpen help. May seem like a lot to give up but good relief pitching is hard to find as we know.
    You seriously under value Edwin. No way I trade him for 1 middle reliever. 1 top line starter, then I will think about it.

You don't move a 23 year old player with the bat Edwin has, no matter how suspect his defense in for 3 middle relievers, much less 1. If worse comes to worst, 1B will be where Edwin ends up, not another team.

Trade SS Felipe Lopez to the White Sox for SP Brandon McCarthy
    Explanation: This might be a stretch as well, but if possible, it would be a shrewd move to take advantage of the White Sox glut of SP and lack of a quality SS, and with Aybar on board, the soon to be expensive Lopez becomes expendable.
    Sox don't need a SS, they are more then happy with Uribe.

Explanation: Williamson’s been making some comments lately. Cubs probably looking for some youth, though it may be naive to think they’d help a division rival. I’d sweeten the pot a little if necessary, but wouldn’t go overboard.
    The only thing B.J. will bring is a 6 pack of Miller.

Trade SP Bronson Arroyo to the Dodgers for MR Jonathan Broxton and 3B Andy Laroche
    Explanation: Not much SP out there. The NL West is there for the taking, so the Dodgers would probably be willing to pay for a guy whose been one of the best in baseball thus far. Broxton is a future closer (something the Reds need more than starters at this point) and Laroche replaces Encarnacion as the 3B of the future. I know it would be very hard from a PR standpoint for Kriv to move Bronson at all let alone while we're very much alive, but his value will never be higher and quite frankly, I don’t think he’s this good.
    Umm no.

No way I trade Eddy or Arroyo. I wouldn't trade Dunn either. Kearns and Lopez are your major trading pieces.

How about Reds trade OF Austin Kearns to Cubs for Scott Erye and Bob Howry?
    Last edited by reds44; 07-07-2006 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Without Dunn, EdE, or Lopez the Reds would be lucky to score 600 runs. there would be no need for a good bullpen at that point.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

We could certainly set a nice record for being shut out
    Go Gators!

"So Fla Red"

Keep EdE, Harang, Arroyo (plus Bailey and Bruce) and one of BP/Lopez as your cheap foundation pieces. Finding above average rotation pieces is beyond impossible for the Reds franchise -- I think you have to build the next 4-5 years around Harang/Arroyo and hope Bailey hits the scene by at least ST 2008. Keep 2 cheap and athletic infielders. Everyone else should be considered expendable for the right price.

IMO, Dunn should no longer be untradeable due to his becoming a $12M player beginning next season. For payroll purposes, one of Kearns/Dunn/Lopez is going to have to go after 2007 due to the overvalued service time $$$$ they will command in the market

KennyGJr

Wow I guess this turned out to be more laughable than I thought. Just to exlain, I do understand Encarnacion and Dunn could probably fetch more, but I was trying to propose trades that I thought the Reds could convince other teams to make. On that point, I probably did overvalue Szymanski and perhaps Lopez/McCarthy wouldnt be plausible, but I do disagree with the thoughts that we would not be better off with that roster than the one we have now. The offense is not great right away, but we'd have a young promising infield, and with Griffey, Kearns, Deno, and Bruce still in the org, our OF is still above average, and the pitching staff is IMO significantly better. Although I'll admit that I could be overvalueing bullpen and undervalueing offense based on what we've seen here in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    IMO, Dunn should no longer be untradeable due to his becoming a $12M player beginning next season. For payroll purposes, one of Kearns/Dunn/Lopez is going to have to go after 2007 due to the overvalued service time $$$$ they will command in the market
    Dunn has the most upside of any position player on this team. In my opinion, while I wouldn't go so far as to say he is untradeable, he is about as close to it as anyone on this team. Dunn and Phillips are the two players I would build a future around. I'm considering position players here only, not pitchers.

RisingReds

is this some kind of sick joke? lol

all the offense would be gone

in my opinion i would keep edwin, felipe would be near untouchable, and dunn is the one i would trade for pitching, just because i feel his stats show he's a little better than he actually is (RISP, and hr/rbi ratio) and it would be nice to land a good pitcher.

The reason the Reds need relievers more than starter is because of guys like Bronson. Trade him and your going to need some starting pitching.

Harrang and hope for rain?

Quote Originally Posted by RisingReds

Yeah, but we'd be fine as far as middle relievers go.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

DanO, is that you?

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by KennyGJr
    I like this idea. Willy is there for the taking. However, if you suggest B.J. they'd probably counter with Deno.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just to exlain, I do understand Encarnacion and Dunn could probably fetch more, but I was trying to propose trades that I thought the Reds could convince other teams to make.
    It's not hard to convince the other team to make a deal if you're offering more than you're asking. But the point of the exercise isn't just to get deals done, it's to get deals done that make the Reds a better ballclub. We need bullpen help, sure, but relief pitchers are the most volatile of players and it's usually a bad idea to give up top-shelf talent to get them.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Trade LF Adam Dunn to the Angels for SS Erick Aybar, SP Ervin Santana and MR JC Romero
    Explanation: The Angels are desperate for a bat and Santana’s name has been floating around. With Kendrick, Wood, Cabrera and Izturis, the Angels can afford to move Aybar. I would push for Kendrick or Wood, but again I was going for realism. Romero, another former Twin reliever, would seem like a guy Kriv would jump on and having a bad year, perhaps could be thrown in. Maybe doesn’t seem like the ideal package for Dunn, but in my mind, if you can get Santana, a potential 10 year top of the rotation guy, its worth it.
    I really like this trade idea and I don't think it is unrealistic. Santana is an excellent young pitcher with ace potential, adding him to our staff would be a huge boost for now and the future. I also like targeting Aybar, unless the Angels plan on moving Wood to 3B they don't have anywhere to play him and adding him would give the Reds the ability to entertain trade offers for Lopez. I'm indifferent on Romero, he might be able to help the bullpen but I don't think he's got any long term value. I'd really hate to lose Dunn but I couldn't pass on the chance to get a future ace and a very good SS prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingReds
    is this some kind of sick joke? lol

in my opinion i would keep edwin, felipe would be near untouchable, and dunn is the one i would trade for pitching, just because i feel his stats show he's a little better than he actually is (RISP, and hr/rbi ratio) and it would be nice to land a good pitcher.
    I don't know about this one. I think we should trade him while his value is high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?