Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad State of Affairs

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Sad State of Affairs

It's getting so frustrating that I didn't even listen to the game tonight (complicated by the fact that I only had XM and the Atlanta broadcast--the only negative about that service). TV was blacked out for some reason after the 5th inning--the call to DTV was a bit ole "Duh." Anyway, i began to play with statistics and found...

During the losing streak, our hottest hitter was Scott Hatteberg, but look at the rest:

Lopez - .111 - 2/18
    Phillips - .222 - 4/18
    Griffey - .269
    Dunn - .296
    Kearns - .240
    Hatteberg - .529 !
    EdE - .200 (1/5 tonight)
    Ross - .300
    Freel - .250
    LaRue - .222
    Aurilia - .286
    Castro - .273

Lopez and Phillips are in big slumps, Griffey is below his usual, Kearns is slumping while Aurilia and Dunn are hitting the ball well. Inconsistency at it's best.

Oh, the pitching. Look at these ERA's:

Mays - 12.75
    Standridge - 6.00
    Beslile - 9.00
    Coffey - 16.36
    Weathers - 6.00
    Shackelford - 8.37
    Yan - 0.00
    Mercker - 2.25

The starters:

35.1 IP 48H 29 ER 7.45 ERA

Take Mays out of it and you get:

25 IP 28 H 15 ER 5.40 ERA

IOW's Mays is killing us. DFA him!

The bullpen?

20 IP 26H 12ER 5.40 ERA

Take Coffey out of the equation and the ERA is 4.21.

Not good, but it's not rocket science to see that Mays and Coffey are killing us.

Food for thought.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sad State of Affairs

The game was on TBS. I thought everyone had TBS.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Tiny sample size.

Also no matter how many 'individual players' are slumping offensively, the offense as a 'team' is not.

6 games, 31 runs
    5.1 RPG

We have also scored 7 runs 3 times during the streak, and don't have a W to show.

It also seems like when we hit well, we haven't pitched well. We got a QS from Milton, but we only scored 3 runs and we got a QS from EZ, but only managed 3 runs in 9 innings (5 total).

So in our quality starts we have scored 8 runs in 2 games (4 RPG), and in non- quality starts we have scored 23 runs in 4 games (5.75 RPG).

In 5 of the 6 losses the tieing and/or winning run has come to the plate in the final inning.

Really we have had some bad luck, mixed in with some bad bullpen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    It's getting so frustrating that I didn't even listen to the game tonight (complicated by the fact that I only had XM and the Atlanta broadcast--the only negative about that service). TV was blacked out for some reason after the 5th inning--the call to DTV was a bit ole "Duh." Anyway, i began to play with statistics and found...

During the losing streak, our hottest hitter was Scott Hatteberg, but look at the rest:

Lopez - .111 - 2/18
    Phillips - .222 - 4/18
    Griffey - .269
    Dunn - .296
    Kearns - .240
    Hatteberg - .529 !
    EdE - .200 (1/5 tonight)
    Ross - .300
    Freel - .250
    LaRue - .222
    Aurilia - .286
    Castro - .273

Lopez and Phillips are in big slumps, Griffey is below his usual, Kearns is slumping while Aurilia and Dunn are hitting the ball well. Inconsistency at it's best.
    Let me play devil's advocate....

Does BA really matter?

We came back and put up 7 runs last night (a victory most any other time).... and what, once again, failed us?

Fix the pitching and ya got a winner IMO.

This offense cannot be expected to overcome the amount of runs allowed. No offense really can.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-07-2006 at 06:48 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Let me play devil's advocate....

Does BA really matter?

We came back and put up 7 runs last night (a victory most any other time).... and what, once again, failed us?

Fix the pitching and ya got a winner IMO.

This offense cannot be expected to overcome the amount of runs allowed. No offense really can.
    batting average only matters when we're not talking about adam dunn

Anybody figured out what exactly is the matter with Coffey? Dude is killin' us right now.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Team Clark says he is tipping his pitches.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Someone should tell Coffeybro and have him relay the message.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I just read that somewhere else, too.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    TBS and a few other channels are in a disagreement with our cable company, so we're out of luck on that--the cable company changed hands as of Monday. The dish was non-operational last night due to the installation of the HD system I'm installing.

Either way you had to listen to the pukey Atlanta announcers. Yuck.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Everyone with cable. It's not a national network station, only in the Atlanta area.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Tiny sample size.

Also no matter how many 'individual players' are slumping offensively, the offense as a 'team' is not.

6 games, 31 runs
    5.1 RPG

We have also scored 7 runs 3 times during the streak, and don't have a W to show.

It also seems like when we hit well, we haven't pitched well. We got a QS from Milton, but we only scored 3 runs and we got a QS from EZ, but only managed 3 runs in 9 innings (5 total).

So in our quality starts we have scored 8 runs in 2 games (4 RPG), and in non- quality starts we have scored 23 runs in 4 games (5.75 RPG).

In 5 of the 6 losses the tieing and/or winning run has come to the plate in the final inning.

Really we have had some bad luck, mixed in with some bad bullpen.
    Obviously. I was only trying to point out that the bullpen is not the only problem right now. In addition to not being able to hold a lead (bullpen), we just aren't doing much offensively either. The guys who have helped carry this team thus far (Griffey, Phillips, Lopez..pick one) aren't. That's all.

And it was meant to be a small sample size--the losing streak.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

4 out of the last 6 losses the Reds scored 5 runs or more, how is offense the blamed for that? 6.95 era and 1.83 whip in July.

I know who I'm pointing the finger at.

The war of attrition has started and it will hurt the Reds in the pen where they are both weakest and oldest.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    4 out of the last 6 losses the Reds scored 5 runs or more, how is offense the blamed for that? 6.95 era and 1.83 whip in July.

I know who I'm pointing the finger at.

The war of attrition has started and it will hurt the Reds in the pen where they are both weakest and oldest.
    Hopefully those that follow the team on a regular basis won't point to the offense as the problem like last year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Hopefully those that follow the team on a regular basis won't point to the offense as the problem like last year.
    Well...at times, it is a problem, but I agree. This offense is capable of scoring gobs of runs. Right now, it we could just go back to our April-May rate of allowing less than five runs, we'd be OK.

I was also trying to point out that the starting pitching, which everyone had ballyhooed, was failing us too. And Mays should be sent packing and I'm not so sure about Coffey.

Ain't it a shame when everything goes haywire at once???
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?