Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCoy on Roster Moves

Yay!

McCoy on Roster Moves

Reds cap busy day with former closer
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ATLANTA | For Cincinnati Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky, hunkered down in a Sarasota bunker this week, five defeats in a row was all he could take and he wasn't going to take it any more.

So, he didn't just shuffle the roster deck, he dealt manager Jerry Narron a few hands.

At the top of the list was the acquisition of an experienced closer, 35-year-old Eddie Guardado, obtained along with some spending money from the Seattle Mariners for minor-league pitcher Travis Chick, another of the players brought in by former GM Dan O'Brien, players Krivsky is systematically weeding out.

Krivsky also called up from Class AAA Louisville outfielder Dewayne Wise and left-handed pitcher Mike Gosling, a one-day plug-in until Guardado arrives today.

Edwin Encarnacion was activated off the disabled list and was in Thursday's lineup, while outfielder Quinton McCracken was designated for assignment.

"I hope this helps turn us around," said Krivsky. "These games we're losing are all so critical because now everybody is bunched up in the standings."

Guardado is the major move as Krivsky tries to patch a bullpen that has more leaks than a little red rented row boat, blowing 11 of its last 19 save opportunities.

"Every Day Eddie that's his nickname," said Krivsky. "When he pitched for Tom Kelly in Minnesota, Kelly used him almost every day. I'm willing to give him an opportunity. He isn't afraid of ninth inning situations, he knows how to pitch ninth innings."

In 2002, Guardado led the majors with 45 saves for the Twins and had 41 in 2003. He made the All-Star team both seasons. Last year he was 2-3 with a 2.72 ERA with 36 saves in 54 appearances in Seattle.

He hasn't been successful this year 1-3 with a 5.48 ERA in 28 appearances, losing the closing role to J.J. Putz.

"What I like is that he became Putz's mentor because Eddie is such a team player and a great guy to have in the clubhouse," Krivsky added. "We're going to take a shot with him."

That means Todd Coffey goes back to pitching in the seventh and eighth, instead of closing, with Kent Mercker and David Weathers pitching earlier in front of Coffey.

"We can line up our bullpen the way we had it earlier in the year with Coffey in the middle and late innings," said Narron.

Coffey was seven for nine in save situations, but has been wobbly of late and welcomes Guardado's arrival.

"Since Day One I've pitched whenever he wants me to pitch," said Coffey. "it doesn't matter to me. It is a great pick-up for our bullpen. Plain and simple, it helps us out. And it doesn't change anything for me. Whenever Jerry calls on me I have to be ready to pitch. I just wish I had done better."

Wise, 28, nearly made the team in spring training when he hit .298 with four doubles and four home runs in 17 games. Then he severely sprained an ankle and lost out to McCracken, who hit .208 in 53 at-bats.

"Dewayne would have made our team out of spring training if he hadn't got hurt," said Narron. "It has taken him awhile to come back, but he played well at (Class AA) Chattanooga and played well at (Class AAA) Louisville.

"Dewayne is an outstanding outfielder, gives us a left-handed hitter off the bench and if we need a baserunner he has some speed," said Narron.

Said Wise about his long delay in arriving, "Things happen for a reason (his ankle injury), but I stayed positive, kept my head up and made sure I was healthy before I stepped back on the field."

Encarnacion pedaled an exercise bike in the pre-game clubhouse, "Something I'll do for the next four weeks before games, along with icing my ankle after every game, just to keep it strong," he said. "I was out a month didn't think it would take that long but it feels real strong and I played seven games in a row (on rehab) for Louisville with no problems."

There was panic is some corners about the option of Ramirez to Class A Dayton, but it was no demotion. The club needed a roster spot for Encarnacion and Ramirez isn't scheduled to pitch until after the All-Star game, 10 days away.

"It just worked out that we could have Ramirez pitch in Dayton Monday, on his regular turn, then he'll be really to pitch for us on Sunday after the break," said Narron.

For the second time this season, Gosling was a one-day emergency fill-in, but Narron said, "You never know what might happen and he might be here the rest of his life and end up in Cooperstown."

Gosling didn't unpack his suitcase.

Find this article at:
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy on Roster Moves

Todd Coffey quote:
    "Since Day One I've pitched whenever he wants me to pitch," said Coffey. "it doesn't matter to me. It is a great pick-up for our bullpen. Plain and simple, it helps us out. And it doesn't change anything for me. Whenever Jerry calls on me I have to be ready to pitch. I just wish I had done better."
    Great attitude. I know he's struggled lately but I find it refreshing to read a quote like this one.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Todd Coffey quote:

Great attitude. I know he's struggled lately but I find it refreshing to read a quote like this one.

Coffey is an asset to this team. He's hit a rough patch but will no doubt turn it around. He sounds like the type of guy I want in a leadership position in the bullpen.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Todd Coffey quote:
    When some players say this you know they don't really mean it, they are just spitting back the required sound-bite.

With Coffey, I get the undeniable feeling that he REALLY means this.

GL

too bad they did not like hancocks culinary habits, its seems to me that coffee and griffey are not exactly advertisements for jenny craig

During the in-game interview of Krivsky during last night's broadcast, Wayne said "our scouts tell us his stuff is still there."

I find that quote telling. That's not what Seattle fans are saying. Wayne's credibility and that of his scouts are on the line with that comment.

I would have preferred they ask Krivisky:

1) Is he healthy?

2) Will the Reds put him through a physical before this trade is completed?

I find it curious that they'd acquire a guy like this with no physical if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    During the in-game interview of Krivsky during last night's broadcast, Wayne said "our scouts tell us his stuff is still there."

I find that quote telling. That's not what Seattle fans are saying. Wayne's credibility and that of his scouts are on the line with that comment.

I would have preferred they ask Krivisky:

1) Is he healthy?

2) Will the Reds put him through a physical before this trade is completed?

I find it curious that they'd acquire a guy like this with no physical if that is the case.
    Perhaps they don't want to see what the results are.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Yay!

Who needs physicals when you have Doc Hollywood???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Perhaps they don't want to see what the results are.
    I guess that depends on two things, how much salary they're taking on and how much they value Travis Chick. If he was going to jettison Chick anyway, so be it, but what if they're spending a couple mill on EG's salary the rest of this year? I'd sure want to know what that rotator cuff tear looks like before spending that kind of money.

I'll reserve final judgement until after I see this guy pitch a few times but I'm not impressed with his comment about EG's stuff. He's either lying to us or he and his scouts don't know how to judge "stuff"...either one is not good. Of course as a Reds fan I hope he's right and I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Wayne said "our scouts tell us his stuff is still there."
    That's not what Seattle fans are saying.

Wayne says he is healthy from what HIS scouts have told him. Seattle Fans say he is something else.

Let's see.....................yea I would probably say the Seattle fans know way more than the Scouting department for the Reds.

How many people on here have said Griffey is done or Dunn is terrible.......Fans do not know the ins and out of the game and what to actually look for. Scouts are paid to watch players during warmups, games, in the dugout, bullpen, etc....

Fans pay to watch the players play......

I believe Krivs knows what he is doing and we are going to get a solid closer, something we have not had in a long time.
    Last edited by alexad; 07-07-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    Wayne says he is healthy from what HIS scouts have told him. Seattle Fans say he is something else.
    I have not heard Krivsky comment on his health. Have you? If so I'd like to see those comments, hence my question earlier in this thread. I'd prefer doctors comment on his health and scouts on his stuff

Guardado is only costing us about $800,000. The Mariners are picking up 2.5 million of the 3.3 million left on Guardado's contract this year.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...-5226770c.html
    Seattle also agreed to pay Cincinnati about $2.5 million of the prorated $3.3 million remaining on Guardado’s 2006 contract, according to The Associated Press. Guardado is in the final year of a three-year, $17 million deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    Guardado is only costing us about $800,000. The Mariners are picking up 2.5 million of the 3.3 million left on Guardado's contract this year.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...-5226770c.html
    Seattle also agreed to pay Cincinnati about $2.5 million of the prorated $3.3 million remaining on Guardado’s 2006 contract, according to The Associated Press. Guardado is in the final year of a three-year, $17 million deal.

That's how a real GM does things,getting a player for a bargain.Unlike Dano who threw money around like he was Steinbrenner.Lord knows what Krivsky could have done with the loot Milton's making.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    That's how a real GM does things,getting a player for a bargain.Unlike Dano who threw money around like he was Steinbrenner.Lord knows what Krivsky could have done with the loot Milton's making.
    Either Krivsky got a bargain or the Mariners REALLY wanted to get rid of this guy. I hope it's the former but I'd really like to know more about this torn rotator cuff.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    Either Krivsky got a bargain or the Mariners REALLY wanted to get rid of this guy. I hope it's the former but I'd really like to know more about this torn rotator cuff.
    He pitched all year last year with it. I don't know how, but he did.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?