Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enquirer: Guardado closer, Coffey set-up

Enquirer: Guardado closer, Coffey set-up

Mods, feel free to merge this with other threads...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...607070409/1071

Guardado fortifies 'pen
    Trade for ex-Mariners closer shifts Coffey back to setup role
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    ATLANTA - The way the Reds figure it, they've taken care of two problems with one trade.

The club obtained veteran pitcher Eddie Guardado from Seattle for minor-league right-hander Travis Chick.

Guardado's role?

"Closer," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He's going to close as many games as possible for us."

That moves Todd Coffey, who had been closing, back into the top setup role.

"The biggest thing (Guardado) gives us is a chance to line up our bullpen like we haven't been able to in awhile," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

The Mariners sent an undisclosed amount of cash to the Reds to offset Guardado's $6.25 million salary.

The Reds' bullpen was fairly effective until Coffey and David Weathers switched roles. Weathers struggled in the setup role; his ERA was 10.23 over his last eight appearances going into Thursday.

Coffey's ERA was 0.56 on May 23. Since, it was 7.02.

Coffey was more than happy to give up the closer role to Guardado.

"I think it's great," Coffey said. "I think it helps the bullpen tremendously."

Guardado's numbers this year are unspectacular: 1-3, 5.48 ERA, 29 hits allowed in 23 innings. But he was 2-3 with a 2.72 ERA and 36 saves last year.

"He hasn't been closing for Seattle this year," Krivsky said. "We're hoping getting back to it rejuvenates him. It's a role he's used to."

Guardado is not a prototypical closer. His fastball tops out at 90-91 mph.

"Our scouts say his stuff's still there," Krivsky said.

Guardado has a reputation as an excellent clubhouse presence, but he had grown frustrated in his diminished role in Seattle. J.J. Putz took over the closer job in early May.

"He's very excited," Narron said of Guardado.

The Guardado trade was one of several moves made by the Reds Thursday. Another transaction will come today to make room on the roster for Guardado.

Left-hander Michael Gosling, recalled Thursday, will be sent back to Triple-A Louisville. Gosling was brought up to give the club a long man in the bullpen after the 13-inning loss Wednesday in Milwaukee.

Reliever Brian Shackelford's demotion to Louisville was planned before his arrest in Milwaukee on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault. Shackelford was not charged and was released from custody.

Also Thursday, the Reds selected the contract of outfielder Dewayne Wise from Louisville and designated Quinton McCracken for assignment.

The club thinks Wise is an upgrade over McCracken. Wise severely sprained an ankle late in spring training and spent two months rehabilitating it. He has played well - .340 average - at Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville since returning to action June 3.

"He's an outstanding defensive player," Narron said. "He gives us a left-hander off the bench. He's a good base-runner."

None of the other moves Thursday will have the effect of the trade for Guardado.

If he's effective in the closer role and Coffey goes back to putting up zeros as a setup man, the Reds are a world better.

Guardado led the American League with 45 saves in 2002 and was second in 2003 with 41. His ERA the last four years: 2.93, 2.89, 2.78, 2.72.

"He's somebody who's been in that role before," Narron said. "He's somebody who knows how to prepare. He has no fear of it."

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Enquirer: Guardado closer, Coffet set-up

Well, they might as well. Coffey's shown no ability whatsoever to be able to close games.

Eddie, you're up. Might want to duck.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Re: Enquirer: Guardado closer, Coffey set-up

"our scouts say he still has his stuff."

I guess we will see how good the scouts are. the stats would say otherwise.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    "our scouts say he still has his stuff."

I guess we will see how good the scouts are. the stats would say otherwise.

his numbers since the end of april are alot better with a 3.77 era in 19 games.
    Last edited by toledodan; 07-07-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Re: Enquirer: Guardado closer, Coffet set-up

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Well, they might as well. Coffey's shown no ability whatsoever to be able to close games.

Eddie, you're up. Might want to duck.
    a lot of Reds pitchers have been impersonating Charlie Brown of late.

Last edited by flyer85; 07-07-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

What scouts? same ones who said Milton was a good idea?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What scouts? same ones who said Milton was a good idea?

No.. actually the ones that told WayneK to go and get Arroyo, Ross, and Phillips despite what their stats said. Hmmm sounds good to me.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I wonder how his WHIP compares.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    I wonder how his WHIP compares.
    he WHIPs it good!

June WHIP - 1.54

The last 7 days his WHIP has been 3.75.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-07-2006 at 05:30 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Good, I gues that makes the most sense. We should have never put Coffey in closer!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    We should have never put Coffey in closer!
    IMO, it's hilarious to read this sentence now, knowing the number of posts this board saw this season with whining, begging, pleading, *****ing and gnashing of teeth about why he wasn't made the closer.

Not everything that seems perfectly logical in baseball will work. That's why I am a proud member of the "Be careful what you wish for" school of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Good, I gues that makes the most sense. We should have never put Coffey in closer!
    Yes we should have. He only blew 2 or 3 saves, and was still the best option we had until we got Eddie.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Who else was gonna close? Weathers? HAMMOND?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Who else was gonna close? Weathers? HAMMOND?
    I would have let Mercker take a crack at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?