Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Mark Redman next?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Is Mark Redman next?

The bad about Mark Redman is obvious.

The good about Mark Redman is that he's 6-0, with an ERA below 4 in his last 7 starts. He's also, in the last 2 years, become a ground ball pitcher. And he's better than some of our current pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Over the winter, I was listening to the Pirates' "official" baseball guys on KDKA when Redman's name came up. I have never heard announcers immediately spew such venom about a former member of their team. They called the day that he was traded the most important day it the Pirates' off-season, and went on at length about Redman's ego and how bad of a clubhouse guy he was.

No idea as to how accurate all this was, but I was more than a little surprised to hear it said so directly.
    Yeah, a huge day for the Pirate juggernaut. Good thing they moved him to improve the clubhouse atmosphere. Otehrwise, they might be sitting in last place and 28 games under .500 by the AS Break or something like that...

Depends on what we give up for him, if it's not much..why not? heck they can have Mays back
    Go Gators!

Redman had decent seasons in 2003 and in 2004 when he was with good teams, Marlins and A's. He was horrible with with bad teams in Detroit and Pittsburgh.

For June and July, he has been 6-0 with an ERA around 4.00. In 38.2 innings, he has also given up 40 hits, 5 homeruns, 59 ground balls, and 44 fly balls. The kicker, or scary part, is he has walked 14 but struck out only 13 batters!

I don't know, with the walk to K ratio and his recent success, he is likely just fools' gold. If the KC front office has a lick of sense, they'd try to get a few teams excited before the pumpkin materializes and make a trade with the most desperate team.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Yeah, a huge day for the Pirate juggernaut. Good thing they moved him to improve the clubhouse atmosphere. Otehrwise, they might be sitting in last place and 28 games under .500 by the AS Break or something like that...
    There was a lot of that on the broadcast. Talk about how Casey and players like him would improve the atmosphere. It all led to talk of how the Pirates would contend this year.

I listened to several weeks of the Wednesday night show. As it went along, the announcers, one in particular whose name escapes me (not Lanny Frattare or one of the ex-players) kept saying he was sure the Pirates would contend. They had one of the best young staffs and absolutely the best bullpen in the league, he says. Right before the season, in a broadcast from the stadium in Pittsburgh, he was interviewing some local celebrity and spewing the optimism, and the celeb responded by saying, "If this team has a winning record, I'll walk to Philadelphia."
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

2003 was his one good year. 2004 with the A's was pretty bad in terms of peripherals -- 191 IP, only 101 K's, 1.50 WHIP, 4.71 ERA. His 2002 season with Detroit was actually better than 2004.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

To Redman's credit, he was the model of league-average pitcher from 2000-2004, with, as Johnny noted, a career year in 2003.

Jeff Suppan had a similar run from 1999-2005, with his career year coming last season.

Probably is, when a guy like that goes south it can get ugly.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Problem is, when a guy like that goes south it can get ugly.
    Low strikeout rates are a good indicator. Guys like Suppan and Redman can have success, but it's mostly due to BABIP, which is a dicey way to earn a living. When they stop getting lucky, their numbers flop. Jon Garland is learning that this season.

The term "journeymen" fits these guys like it fits Steve Perry, Steve Smith, and Neil Schon.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The term "journeymen" fits these guys like it fits Steve Perry, Steve Smith, and Neil Schon.
    What, no love for Johnathan Cain?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Low strikeout rates are a good indicator. Guys like Suppan and Redman can have success, but it's mostly due to BABIP, which is a dicey way to earn a living. When they stop getting lucky, their numbers flop. Jon Garland is learning that this season.

Nah, you don't get lucky five years in a row (Redman) or seven (Suppan). More to the point, Redman and Suppan weren't particularly lucky in those seasons. They really were what the league average looked like. You could pretty much set your league average clock by them.

If Garland can shave 0.80 off his ERA before the end of the season, he'll pretty much be back to league average, making him the new-model Suppan.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?