Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFC...does the "C" stand for cockroach?

KFC...does the "C" stand for cockroach?

Was on vacation in Florida--Fort Myers last week. Now, when we're on vacation, on various nights we let the kids choose where we're going to eat. Well, believe it or not, my kids all love KFC. And we happened, one evening, to drive by one of those KFCs that has the buffet. The kids spotted it and guess what...two nights later we found ourselves eating there. A couple of thoughts:

1. Is the buffet typically that expensive? I mean, I think it cost the five of us about $36 to eat at the buffet. We're typically pretty frugal and for $36, bygolly, we can eat almost anywhere. But it's what the kids voted for. (FYI, the price for the adult buffet was something like $8.69--at least we didn't have to leave a tip )

2. About halfway through our meal, as I headed back to the buffet (which, I must admit, was pretty solid. I mean, we all know that the Colonel makes great chicken. But also...does anyone do gravy better than KFC? And their coleslaw is the best. The chicken livers were a bit dry, but who's complaining...anyway...as I'm headed back to the buffet, I, for some reason, glanced under the table next to us. And based the thread title, you know what's coming. That's right...cockroach...big one. I thought it was dead and I wasn't going to make a big fuss over it. But when I came back, it had moved. So I lean in to my wife and say, "Look under the table next to us." She glances that direction and then nearly pukes. She got mad at me for showing her. I said, "Would you rather not know?" She says, "Do something about it!" I'm like, "Like what?" So I go to the counter and I lean in to the lady at the cash register. I say, "There a big (and I showed her the size with my fingers) cockroach under the table next to us. Immediately she puts her hands up in front of her and says, "Uh-uh, I don't do cockroaches." So she tells a coworker. He comes to take care of the problem.

Now, at this point, I'm thinking, okay, just bring that dust-pan thingy on a stick over with a broom and sweep it into it and just get it out of our sight. Simple solution, right? No...the dude proceeds to STOMP on the roach...right next to where we're eating! How sick is that? I winced in horror and he turns to me and says, "What?"

And we're just supposed to keep eating, right?

Did I mention that the coleslaw was good?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: KFC...does the "C" stand for cockroach?

WOW!!!

Thats all I can say is, wow.

They plump when ya cook em
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Strike one: Florida

Strike two: KFC

Strike three: buffet
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Strike one: Florida

Strike two: KFC

Strike three: buffet
    Florida: was great. It was definately one of our best vacations ever.

KFC: this particular one was actually very modern and clean. We were impressed when we first arrived.

Buffet: Three kids who love chicken...whatcha gonna do?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I guess KFC doesn't pay its staff enough for them to be subtle. You're lucky he didn't pull out a pistol and take a few shots at it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I guess KFC doesn't pay its staff enough for them to be subtle. You're lucky he didn't pull out a pistol and take a few shots at it.
    Esp. those Florida cockroaches... hooo boy.

Cockroaches gotta eat too.

If you saw the slaughterhouse conditions inwhich that chicken was prepared you wouldn't be worried about a measily cockroach.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Cockroaches gotta eat too.

If you saw the slaughterhouse conditions inwhich that chicken was prepared you wouldn't be worried about a measily cockroach.

The whole state of Arkansas says hello.

You're lucky there weren't a dozen of them. They'd have dragged off one of your kids.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    LOL

...or, maybe not.

I laugh, of course, and yet proceed to routinely visit the Ethiopian place down the street from us that redefines the word "shady". We always order chicken, but truthfully I have no idea what that stuff is they serve us. It tastes good, though, and I haven't died yet...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Esp. those Florida cockroaches... hooo boy.
    As Dave Barry would say, Florida cockroaches aren't the type to scurry under the fridge when you turn the light on. They're the type to pick the fridge up and lumber slowly out of the room.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I can betcha that every fastfood place (and most eateries considered higher-class than fastfood) have cockroaches somewhere/somehow. If there is constantly: food around, food on the floor, food everywhere... the cockroaches will be there.

This also is the case for no-so-mature people who think it is okay to stack dirty dishes (for weeks) to the ceiling before washing them. And I am sure some of us have known people with this little problem. That problem is not so much the cockroaches as it is the slobs who live there!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Yuck. Gives new meaning to 'Extra Crispy.'
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

I wouldn't take my neighbor's pit bull to a KFC.

One time in Kentucky I saw a rat run out the back door of the kitchen.
    One time in Chattanooga I saw a employee drop some chicken on the floor as he was bringing it out and just calmly reached down and picked it up and put it back on the tray.

But the worst, and NO excuse for this, and I shouldn't even tell it but needs to be told. I was traveling back home and stoped in Bardstown or Elizabethtown Ky, I can't remember, before ordering I went to the restroom and as I was washing my hands this guy gets up from the stool, ( he was sitting down) if you know what I mean, walked right out without washing his hands and went right back in to the kitchen, uh, he worked there.

I left right away and have never been back to kfc since, over 15 years ago.

Same goes for a Captains D.

There used to be a franchise restaurant called "Po FOLKS" Same dirty type places. Now out of business.

Give me the local restaurants over franshises any day.

Turn Off Ads?