Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Idears

Vacation Idears

Well we have dragged our feet yet again and have not yet agreed on a vacation destination for this summer. Anyone have any suggestions for a 4-5 day trip within reasonable driving distance from Cincinnati that would be fun for the whole family (2 adults and teenage kids)? I prefer some place natural and relaxing but I'm sure everyone else wants somewhere with a little more activity. So I'm open for any ideas or suggestions...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vacation Idears

I was always a big fan of Gatlinburg. Kitsch city, but the mountains are beautiful. You can go hiking and canoing and horseback riding or if that's not your style you can go to things like souvenir shops with ugly bear-themed sunglasses and the funniest haunted house ever. Just about a five-hour drive from Cincinnati I think and lots of places to stay.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Ever hear of Long's Retreat (over near Chillicothe)?

Famil owned, well ran and maintained, in the very scenic hills of soithern Ohio.

You can camp or rent one of their cabins, which come in various sizes/features depending on what you want. There is alot of stuff for the family to do.... swimming (nice lake w/well maintained beach, excellent water slides, paddle boats, canoing, go-cart track, putt-putt golf, driving range. There is also an arcade and other rides for kids.

We've been down there twice and really enjoyed ourselves immensely.

It's really inexpensive, and if one wants, they can get a family pass (comes with a wrist band) where the water slides, putt-golf are free.

Rocky Fork and Lake Hope are also near by.

Here is their website....

http://www.longsretreat.com/
    Last edited by GAC; 07-07-2006 at 07:28 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I was always a big fan of Gatlinburg. Kitsch city, but the mountains are beautiful. You can go hiking and canoing and horseback riding or if that's not your style you can go to things like souvenir shops with ugly bear-themed sunglasses and the funniest haunted house ever. Just about a five-hour drive from Cincinnati I think and lots of places to stay.
    I second the Smoky Mountains/Gatlinburg nomination. If you decide to go there, I can give you all kinds of tips. We visit there often.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    I second the Smoky Mountains/Gatlinburg nomination. If you decide to go there, I can give you all kinds of tips. We visit there often.
    We go there alot. Rent a cabin. You'll save money on eating out.

We like to rent from Chalet Village which has their's in the mountains right over downtown (Ski Lodge Rd).... scenic, secluded, but a short drive down to the downtown area.

It only cost us $160/night, and it was a brand new chalet that was fully loaded. Quite nice to come back to after a long day in the mountains, and climb into the hot tub.

A vast majority of their chalets are pretty new and really nice.

http://www.chaletvillage.com/
    Last edited by GAC; 07-07-2006 at 09:25 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Shenandoah National Park

BTW, you can get there from Cincinnati by Amtrak.

Asheville. Hiking, biking, kayaking. It's a bit of a drive compared to the other side of the mountains but it's one of our favorite towns.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak
    Well we have dragged our feet yet again and have not yet agreed on a vacation destination for this summer. Anyone have any suggestions for a 4-5 day trip within reasonable driving distance from Cincinnati that would be fun for the whole family (2 adults and teenage kids)? I prefer some place natural and relaxing but I'm sure everyone else wants somewhere with a little more activity. So I'm open for any ideas or suggestions...
    Williamsburg, VA
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Williamsburg, VA
    I haven't been there since I was a kid. It is quite interesting and historic, but don't they have it divided up into various sections now, where you have to pay to enter, and it costs an arm and a leg?

My parents went back there several years ago, and they said the cost was ridiculous.

Here is another great place for the family to enjoy. You need a couple days to really see it all.....

Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum. Has a huge indoor and outdoor museum where they have actually moved many famous American's homes there. There is alot to see/do.

And the museum is really neat, and very educational.

http://www.hfmgv.org/village/porches...rs/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I haven't been there since I was a kid. It is quite interesting and historic, but don't they have it divided up into various sections now, where you have to pay to enter, and it costs an arm and a leg?

My parents went back there several years ago, and they said the cost was ridiculous.
    I've never thought that the cost of Colonial Williamsburg tickets was out-of-line, given what it costs to get into Kings Island or even parts of GABP. A one day adult pass is $29, kids $15; two day tickets are $48/$24. The best deal is a hotel pass; if you are staying in a Colonial Williamsburg hotel,a pass good for the length of your stay is $34/$15. You can also get a Freedom Pass, good for one year, for $59/$29.
    GAC, if you haven't been there since you were a kid, it has really changed since you were there..........although if YOU were there as a kid, you may have talked with the real George Washington, Patrick Henry, etc.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I really am a big fan of the Williamsburg area. Colonial Williamsburg itself is well worth a trip. A highlight for me is always the opportunity to enteract with people protraying people from the 1770s, both "famous" people such as Jefferson or Henry, and others such as a tavernkeeper, a slave, a farmer, etc. I have participated in "debates" on the Stamp Tax in the House of Burgesses, drilled with the militia, danced with the gentry, listened to slaves play music, etc. While pricey, at least one meal at a colonial tavern is worthwhile.
    There are also other historic attractions near Williamsburg, including Jamestown and Yorktown.
    However, there is also a lot of non-historical attractions. Water Country USA is one of the best water parks in the country. While I actually prefer Kings Island, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a large amusement park. You can buy a pass that gets you into Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settelement, Yorktown Victory Center, Water Country USA and Busch Gardens for the length of your stay.
    One hour to the east of Williamsburg is Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach; one hour to the west is Richmond.
    Once you get onto Interstate 64, the route to Williamsburg is simple-stay on I-64.

How 'bout Niagra Falls? We took a family trip there a few years ago and had a lot of fun.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    How 'bout Niagra Falls? We took a family trip there a few years ago and had a lot of fun.
    We went to Niagara Falls a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. The Falls are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are the draws to Williamsburg IMO. Water Country is one of the top 3 or 4 water parks in the country. Busch Gardens is high, but Water Country is not. As far as the historical stuff, it's neat to see, but I wouldn't go there just for that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?