Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacation Idears

Re: Vacation Idears

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I've never thought that the cost of Colonial Williamsburg tickets was out-of-line, given what it costs to get into Kings Island or even parts of GABP. A one day adult pass is $29, kids $15; two day tickets are $48/$24. The best deal is a hotel pass; if you are staying in a Colonial Williamsburg hotel,a pass good for the length of your stay is $34/$15. You can also get a Freedom Pass, good for one year, for $59/$29.
    GAC, if you haven't been there since you were a kid, it has really changed since you were there..........although if YOU were there as a kid, you may have talked with the real George Washington, Patrick Henry, etc.
    Thanks RB. It has been awhile since I've been there.

We kinda did the "loop" over several days..... toured D.C., saw Monticello, Mount Vernon, and then Williamsburgh.

I think that will be a solid vacation idea next year.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Thanks RB. It has been awhile since I've been there.

We kinda did the "loop" over several days..... toured D.C., saw Monticello, Mount Vernon, and then Williamsburgh.

I think that will be a solid vacation idea next year.
    GAC--next year is the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, so I am expecting that there will be a few "extra" things going on at Jamestown and nearby Jamestown Settlement.
    The biggest change that I have seen in Colonial Williamsburg over the last 25 years has been in the opportunity to enteract with characters from the past. When I first toured C.W. back in about 1980-81, there was little of that; you got to tour the buildings, hear just a bit of music, eat in the taverns, and learn a lot through tour guide lectures, but that was it.
    Since then the opportunities to have "discussions" with people from 1770 have mushroomed. As I previously noted, I have participated several times in the Stamp Tax debate in the House of Burgesses, once even having "Patrick Henry" directly respond to one of my arguments before he began giving the actual speech Henry gave in 1765 (in that particular debate I decided to be a Tory; on another occasion I was a Patriot and I used much of Henry's later 1775 "give me liberty or give me death" speech, absent that line itself, as my own speech). Unfortunately I do not believe this evening program is still offered.
    I've danced with townspeople in "Dance, Our Dearest Diversion"; I've enteracted with a slave girl at Wetherburn's Tavern, walked the streets of Williamsburg with Captain Duncan Stewart, met with tavernkeeper Jane Vobe, helped construct a wooden fence at the New Hope farm just outside town, been a judge in the trial of a woman accused of witchcraft ("Cry Witch"); listened to and questioned Jefferson and Henry; drilled with the militia, and so on.
    I've stayed at Market Square Tavern, an original building in the Historic Area; Thomas Jefferson once stayed there as well.
    If you decide to go to Williamsburg, let me know. There are a number of activities I could recommend, as well as places to stay and eat.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    GAC--next year is the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, so I am expecting that there will be a few "extra" things going on at Jamestown and nearby Jamestown Settlement.
    The biggest change that I have seen in Colonial Williamsburg over the last 25 years has been in the opportunity to enteract with characters from the past. When I first toured C.W. back in about 1980-81, there was little of that; you got to tour the buildings, hear just a bit of music, eat in the taverns, and learn a lot through tour guide lectures, but that was it.
    Since then the opportunities to have "discussions" with people from 1770 have mushroomed. As I previously noted, I have participated several times in the Stamp Tax debate in the House of Burgesses, once even having "Patrick Henry" directly respond to one of my arguments before he began giving the actual speech Henry gave in 1765 (in that particular debate I decided to be a Tory; on another occasion I was a Patriot and I used much of Henry's later 1775 "give me liberty or give me death" speech, absent that line itself, as my own speech). Unfortunately I do not believe this evening program is still offered.
    I've danced with townspeople in "Dance, Our Dearest Diversion"; I've enteracted with a slave girl at Wetherburn's Tavern, walked the streets of Williamsburg with Captain Duncan Stewart, met with tavernkeeper Jane Vobe, helped construct a wooden fence at the New Hope farm just outside town, been a judge in the trial of a woman accused of witchcraft ("Cry Witch"); listened to and questioned Jefferson and Henry; drilled with the militia, and so on.
    I've stayed at Market Square Tavern, an original building in the Historic Area; Thomas Jefferson once stayed there as well.
    If you decide to go to Williamsburg, let me know. There are a number of activities I could recommend, as well as places to stay and eat.
    I guess ya had to be there!

But ye, I will Randy, when I come to planning a trip. I love researching/reading American history.

Thanks everyone for their input. I think we are leaning toward Gatlinburg right now. That Williamsburg trip though sounds very interesting and will definately be taken in the future. We went to Niagara Falls last summer which I thought were incredible. Let's hear those Gatlinburg tips Max...

I prefer Pigeon Forge over Gatlinburg itself. I love go-karts, and most of the go-kart tracks are there, as are more restaurants and Dollywood, while it is not much further to the Smokies.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak
    Thanks everyone for their input. I think we are leaning toward Gatlinburg right now. That Williamsburg trip though sounds very interesting and will definately be taken in the future. We went to Niagara Falls last summer which I thought were incredible. Let's hear those Gatlinburg tips Max...
    Williamsburg > Gatlinburg area
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I could go to Colonial Williamsburg every year, but my family is tired of it. We stay overnight in Williamsburg on our way for our annual Outer Banks trip. I convince them to go to historical areas about every other. My kids like Jamestown settlement the best !

Yay!

I prefer the Townsend side of the Smokies... MUCH less crowded... same drive into the mountains, close to Cades Cave and some of the more peaceful parts of the park... plus it's only a 20-30 minute drive to the eating/shopping/doing stuff places in Gatlinburg.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I prefer the Townsend side of the Smokies... MUCH less crowded... same drive into the mountains, close to Cades Cave and some of the more peaceful parts of the park... plus it's only a 20-30 minute drive to the eating/shopping/doing stuff places in Gatlinburg.
    Townsend is definitely the quiet part of the Smokies.

Pidegeon Forge is much more family oriented as far as activities (go-carts, amusements, etc). And it is cheaper to stay in PF too.

I'd highly recommend the Traverse City/Mackinac Island/Sleeping Bear Dunes area of northern Michigan. Tons of swimming, hiking, tubing, cherry picking, vineyards, and gorgeous lakes and scenery. Wonderful place to go. About an 8 hr. drive from Cinci.

Pay attention to the open sky

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I'd highly recommend the Traverse City/Mackinac Island/Sleeping Bear Dunes area of northern Michigan. Tons of swimming, hiking, tubing, cherry picking, vineyards, and gorgeous lakes and scenery. Wonderful place to go. About an 8 hr. drive from Cinci.

Been there done that. Lovely area. Should be enough to do to keep teenagers happy.

We always camped and/or backpacked when visiting The Smokies, mostly late fall and spring. The touristy area (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge) is generally so crowded during the summer and fall, that I don't enjoy it.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I spent my childhood going up there, spent my early adulthood escaping to Gatlinberg with my wife before we got married.

In the summer the weather and scenery in Michigan destroys Gatlinberg IMO, though the weather can change that later in the season.

My vote definitely goes to Shenandoah. It's beautiful, particularly skyline drive. Since you're taking your family. see about renting a cabin somewhere, that's probably the most affordable option.

Of course, this is assuming that your family enjoys outdoorsy-type vacations. If not, you probably won't want to do Shenandoah, because there's not much in the way of cities/amusement parks/etc.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

All the places people mention here are or sound nice to me. I'll just add our spot to the list FWIW.

We go up to the west coast of Michigan to South Haven, a fairly quiet resort town, for a week every year. As our daughter is now 4, we don't "go adventuring" or anything, just looking fo r a relaxing week-long get-away. We rent a cottage or condo and basically just plant to hit the beach every day, stroll around the quaint downtown, and head north to Saugatuck and Oval Beach at least once. The water is very clear and clean and the sand is nice and white. Even further north is Ludington where I have played in a few Gus Macker basketball tournaments, which has more awesome white sandy beaches and lakeshore.

Before our daughter was born, we tent-camped alot and I am trying to get us back to that as well. We enjoyed going down to Loudonville, OH area and staying at Mohican State Park.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?