Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Guardado Damaged Goods??

Guardado Damaged Goods??

I heard on the radio today that Guardado has a torn rotator cuff and has for a while. Is there any truth to this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guardado Damaged Goods??

It's been reported that it was discovered in 2004.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I have a hard time believing that Wayne Krivsky would not look into something like that. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it is just a rumor.

Well, maybe WK looked at our bullpen and realized that a we have a better chance of winning with a guy with a torn rotator cuff then what's already there.

2004: ERA 2.78, Opp AVG .194, 45 K's, 14 BB
    2005: ERA 2.72, Opp AVG .239, 48 K's, 15 BB
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    I have a hard time believing that Wayne Krivsky would not look into something like that. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it is just a rumor.
    It isn't a rumor. He began having shoulder problems at the start of the 2004 season. Apparently the sore shoulder was a cascade effect due to the left knee he injured in spring training. After missing the first couple of weeks of the regular season, he pitched untill he was DL'd August 2nd with a "tired" left shoulder. He was diagnosed with the torn rotator cuff on August the 10th and was expected to have season ending surgery. After having a second examination, he was told on the 18th of August that rehab would be sufficient. He did have surgery on his left knee though. The belief is, that since the cause of the tear was related to mechanics, he should be fine.

Of course the Reds looked into the situation. Guardado's shoulder problem has been common knowledge for over a year now. How much they actually delved into it though is anyones guess. They at least talked to Dr. Lewis Yokum before the deal was finalized. Krivsky was quoted saying, "He's fine".

While we are on the subject though, let's not forget the right hamstring he suffered in spring training last season. The fact he was taking treatments for a sore elbow in June of 2005 and was day to day with back spasms as late as June 23rd 2006. What's not to like, right?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?