Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make A Pitch For John Smoltz

Would You Make A Pitch For John Smoltz

Rumors flying in Atlanta that the Braves might possibly deal Smoltz at the trading deadline. The thinking is they could re-sign him as a free agent while acquiring additional pitching.

Now if you're the Reds, do you make a trade for a rental player like Smoltz? What if the Reds offered Claussen and another prospect for Smoltz? Would the Braves bite? But more importantly could someone like Smoltz be a big factor for the starting rotation the final two months of the season?

Something to chew on but as long as the prospect offered isn't Homer Bailey, I think the Reds would have to consider it if Smoltz is made available.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Make A Pitch For John Smoltz

Not when Mark Redman may be available.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm not sure the Braves are ready to give up on the WC yet. I can't see him being traded.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I'm not sure the Braves are ready to give up on the WC yet. I can't see him being traded.
    Considering how many teams they would have to leap frog to get to the wildcard, it would be a longshot.

I think it would be up to Smoltz if he would want to go to a contender as a rental player. It might be his last shot to get another ring.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Considering how many teams they would have to leap frog to get to the wildcard, it would be a longshot.

I think it would be up to Smoltz if he would want to go to a contender as a rental player. It might be his last shot to get another ring.
    Did the Braves ever get one? I must have forgotten, I didn't think they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    Did the Braves ever get one? I must have forgotten, I didn't think they did.
    one.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    one.
    Yeah, I looked it up, which I should have done before I posted, 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Smoltz is a 10-and-5 guy, and I'm willing to bet good money the only place he'd approve a trade to is Detroit. Worth a phone call, but I'd say the chances are infinitesmial.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many realistic targets are out there right now, given that the entire AL and NL West divisions are in play, almost everyone in the NL is hanging around in the WC, and some of the eliminated teams (Cleveland, Baltimore) don't have a lot of starting pitching it would make sense for them to trade.

If the Reds are to make a big move, it's not going to happen for three weeks...the state of play has yet to materialize.

if I am Krivsky, I go after Willis!!! not Smoltz

smoltz will end up a tiger if the braves fall out of the WC race. after the season ends he could resign with atlanta and the braves would get a free player out of this. detroit is loaded with young pitching prospects at all levels.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

He'd want a definate no doubt contender, we aren't it yet.

And I don't want him, he's getting worse.
    Go Gators!

No thanks.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I'd sooner bring up Bailey, stick him in the bullpen for a few games, and if he shows any poise at the major league level, start him for the last third of the season.

If you want to instill confidence in this young guy, show him you're willing to gamble on his stuff, despite his inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21
    I'd sooner bring up Bailey, stick him in the bullpen for a few games, and if he shows any poise at the major league level, start him for the last third of the season.

If you want to instill confidence in this young guy, show him you're willing to gamble on his stuff, despite his inexperience.
    If Homer is really a Halladay/Oswalt/Mussina type ace, then our best bet is to keep him under wraps until he's ready. Service time, you know...

There zero chance Smoltz would approve a trade to Cincy.

Talk here in Atlanta is that the Braves are talking to the Cubs about bringing back Maddux.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?