Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why we love Brandon Phillips

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Why we love Brandon Phillips

    ATLANTA -- In addition to that rather amazing play he made, which he claims to practice in BP all the time, this was Phillips' summation of why you can't give up early. Hang with him here:

    "Youíve got to keep on playing. Itís a funny game, and nothingís over until you celebrate at the end. Some people say the fat lady sings, but fat ladies donít sing all the time. It could be a pretty girl singing. I donít care what kind of girl it is, as long as weíre on the winning side."
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/


    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,672

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    If this baseball thing doesn't work out he has a future on the stand up circuit
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    He's a regular Chapelle (and always smiling).

    He is my favorite Red right now; but I have always had a preference for 2Bman.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #4
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,433

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    He's a regular Chapelle (and always smiling).

    He is my favorite Red right now; but I have always had a preference for 2Bman.
    I seem to remember another great fielding 2nd baseman for the Reds who smiled a lot and was beloved for his defense. Unfortunately, when it came time for him to start making big money, he was not smiling any longer and his play suffered. Now he is out of baseball. Hopefully Brandon will turn out better than Pokey did.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #5
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    I think Brandon would say that sometimes the Pokey sings, and sometimes it doesn't matter whether the Pokey sings at Redsfest, or in Boston, or Colorado, or Pittsburgh. All that matters is that whenever the Pokey sings, you don't ask him about his contract. Or put him at the shortstop position he begged to play for all those years. But whatever he sings, I think Brandon would say he doesn't know the words. He just wants pretty girls to sing it too. And win and stuff.

    Makes all the routine posts.

  7. #6
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,792

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I think Brandon would say that sometimes the Pokey sings, and sometimes it doesn't matter whether the Pokey sings at Redsfest, or in Boston, or Colorado, or Pittsburgh. All that matters is that whenever the Pokey sings, you don't ask him about his contract. Or put him at the shortstop position he begged to play for all those years. But whatever he sings, I think Brandon would say he doesn't know the words. He just wants pretty girls to sing it too. And win and stuff.

    Indubitibalallyity.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  8. #7
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I seem to remember another great fielding 2nd baseman for the Reds who smiled a lot and was beloved for his defense. Unfortunately, when it came time for him to start making big money, he was not smiling any longer and his play suffered. Now he is out of baseball. Hopefully Brandon will turn out better than Pokey did.
    Yeah, but I don't think Pokey was ever know for his offensive potential.... BP is.

    And the reason Pokey is out of BB was due to personal problems outside of baseball that got the best of him in the end.

    So far, I don't see that with BP (now, or in the past), and IMO, Phillips could very easily have an attitude when being jerked around by the Indians.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  9. #8
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,433

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yeah, but I don't think Pokey was ever know for his offensive potential.... BP is.

    And the reason Pokey is out of BB was due to personal problems outside of baseball that got the best of him in the end.

    So far, I don't see that with BP (now, or in the past), and IMO, Phillips could very easily have an attitude when being jerked around by the Indians.
    I am not saying the two are twins but there are some similarities there. Pokey was acceptable when he was hitting .250 and playing great defense. He was a golden child that wore his hat crooked and kids loved him. When the opportunity came to make big money, he could not handle it.

    Now along comes Brandon Phillips. Great defense and he hits well too. Whether this year is a fluke is hard to say. But I see some similarities there. I am certainly not going to anoint Brandon as the next Joe Morgan anytime soon.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  10. #9
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,672

    Re: Why we love Brandon Phillips

    Pokey hit .285 once and was going to be an allstar
    Go Gators!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25