Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Encarnacion's days be numbered?

Could Encarnacion's days be numbered?

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling the Reds have lost confidence in Edwin Encarnacion's ability to play third base. It seems they have really dragged their feet in getting him back onto the field and into the line-up. It might be the lingering nature of his injury, but...

If the Reds are reasonably close at the deadline, could EE be their blue chip trading piece? They have Freel, Aurilia, and Castro to play third, but very little really valuable prospects to swap for pitching. Denorfia is nice but outfielders are plentiful and I'm not certain how he ranks on anyones wish list with all the Quentins, Youngs, Milledges, and Gonzalezes out there. A promising third baseman would probably bring more.

I can see the Padres (Linebrink) or the Phillies (Gordon) or Mariners (Moyer) possibly packaging some help. How about Schmidt for EE?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could Encarnacion's days be numbered?

I think if any of the infielders are trading pieces, it's FeLo. He and Edwins defense are pretty much equally regarded (likely to make big play, liable to mess up the routine), the main differences are the fact that Lopez is a Boras client, has been in the league longer, and we have others that can play SS full time (Phillips). Not necessarily saying I agree with it, but I think it's more likely than EE getting moved.
    Last edited by Tommyjohn25; 07-08-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

They have Freel, Aurilia, and Castro to play third
    Why would you trade your best prospect so 3 utility players can play?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    I think if any of the infielders are trading pieces, it's FeLo. He and Edwins defense are pretty much equally regarded (likely top make big play, liable to mess up the routine), the main differences are the fact that Lopez is a Boras client, has been in the league longer, and we have others that can play SS full time (Phillips). Not necessarily saying I agree with it, but I think it's more likely than EE getting moved.
    I agree.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Why would you trade your best prospect so 3 utility players can play?
    I'm not saying I think it is a good plan, just what might be "written on the wall". Encarnacion makes an error one night and then is out of the line-up the next. I couple that with what appears to be a slow push to get him back in the line-up and Castro's arrival.

And, I don't believe Lopez is as valuable for the very reasons mentioned. Why would, say the Giants, dump a Schmidt to acquire a Scott Boras client who is moving closer to free agency? Teams would like a player who is locked to them for a few more years.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Why would, say the Giants, dump a Schmidt to acquire a Scott Boras client who is moving closer to free agency? Teams would like a player who is locked to them for a few more years.
    Schmidt is a FA after this season. Lopez is a number of years away. Lopez may not be signed for next year, but he is locked up to his team.

SF is also in the race for the Division and the Wild Card. It's unlikley they would move Schmidt unless they get an immediate return that helps them now.

I also don't think there's much chance that we would trade EE, unless we got a very good young, cheap pitcher who's already pitching well in the majors. He won't be moved for a rental. Good cheap players can't be moved by the Reds unless we get a similiar (but perhaps more pressing need) return.

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling the Reds have lost confidence in Edwin Encarnacion's ability to play third base. It seems they have really dragged their feet in getting him back onto the field and into the line-up. It might be the lingering nature of his injury, but...
    Just noting that Spitball is not an alter ego handle of mine...

No, I wouldn't sweat it. All young players are eased back onto the field after suffering an injury of this nature. Despite all the complaining about Naron's treatment and development of young players, I'm ecstatic with the handling of FeLo, Phillips and EE. He seems to keep them hungry and grounded in times of success and boosting morale during slumps.

I hope you are all correct. Right now, I see some signs that the confidence isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Just noting that Spitball is not an alter ego handle of mine...
    What does that mean?
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-08-2006 at 01:41 PM.

I hope you are all correct. Right now,, though I see some signs that the confidence isn't there.
    I am sure the Reds are concerned about EE's throwing. It's hard to believe they would trade him. But, in a playoff race, it is difficult to have both EE and Lopez out there defensively, they just make so many errors.

I assume the Reds will keep him but rest him frequently and use the coaching staff to help him with his throwing. He is still very young.

I hope you are all correct. Right now, I see some signs that the confidence isn't there.

What does that mean?
    Sorry, I have been beaten up for days on the EE to the DL thread and the Castro playing time thread for the same opinion/concern. Just glad to see someone else step forward with the same observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I am sure the Reds are concerned about EE's throwing. It's hard to believe they would trade him. But, in a playoff race, it is difficult to have both EE and Lopez out there defensively, they just make so many errors.

I assume the Reds will keep him but rest him frequently and use the coaching staff to help him with his throwing. He is still very young.
    If the Reds are still in the race on July 31 and the Cards, Brewers, and Astros are bolstering their teams with key acquisitions, I believe the "win now" mentality surely will entice the Reds to make moves of their own.

There are ten page threads griping everytime a Yan, Castro, or Guardado is acquired. If the Reds are going to get a decent return, they are going to have to trade something of value. I may be wrong, but I don't think the market will favor the seller this year, and the Reds are going to have dip into a pretty thin crop of tradeables to get a decent return. Encarnacion may be of more value to another organization that is not so concerned about his defense. I don't think he is as highly regarded by this front office as he is on this board and elsewhere.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-08-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Sorry, I have been beaten up for days on the EE to the DL thread and the Castro playing time thread for the same opinion/concern. Just glad to see someone else step forward with the same observation.
    Gotcha', I usually stay away from the EE discussions so I didn't know what you were talking about.

Face it. His defense sucked and even in one of his 1st games he had an error that costs us the game. I'd personally rather see Aurilia in there. Or, even Freel for that matter. I'd like to see EE get 2-3 starts a week, but until we are out of it he's not the guy. We have a chance to win. Did you see that double play last night from BP and Castro. EE couldn't have done that.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

How old is Aurilia, again? How old is EE? Which one has the chance to be something for this team in four years? I forget which, hmmmm, they must be VERY close in age. Or not.

Oh, and EE doesn't play SS or 2b, so, no, he could not have turned that DP. Sharp observation.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    Face it. His defense sucked and even in one of his 1st games he had an error that costs us the game. I'd personally rather see Aurilia in there. Or, even Freel for that matter. I'd like to see EE get 2-3 starts a week, but until we are out of it he's not the guy. We have a chance to win. Did you see that double play last night from BP and Castro. EE couldn't have done that.
    Either could Aurilia or Freel, and they are MI's, unlike EE.

I haven't seen a post in quite so long that I've disagreed with more.

Turn Off Ads?