Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 135 pitches by Harang?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: 135 pitches by Harang?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Harang was the one wanting to stay in, said he was fine.
    Most likely.

Pitchers of his caliber have a lot of say on what goes on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I'm officially now in the FIRE NARRON camp.
    You want to fire the manager when this team is 3 games out of 1st place halfway through the season?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Harang was the one wanting to stay in, said he was fine.
    Narron's the field manager. He calls the shots. Sometimes someone other than one's own self knows what's best for one's own self.

Narron wasn't looking out for the welfare of Harang or the team by doing what he did last night.

I don't think they were afraid to call on the bully at all. I think they were trying to get Aaron a chance at the 10 win milestone. I hope that was the case, because it is very noble. Unwise, but noble.

The back to back stat is
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

At the game that was the main thing I was watching was the pitch count.. both for Smoltz and for Harang. That double over Dunn against the wall should of been it.. and that was around 110-115. Bullpen is never going to get confidence that away. What kind of message does that send to them?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    What kind of message does that send to them?

A truthful one?

Nah, I know what you mean.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    I can't imamgine that anyone was calling for Harang to be pulled with a shut out going in the 7th last night. After he gave up the 2 run HR, the game was lost. Posters would have hung Narron if he had pulled Harang before the HR.
    as soon as the ball went over the wall, Narron should have marched his end out to the mound and took Harang out.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Aaron is still a young pitcher.
    I'll disagree on that. Harang is 28 years old and has been taking his turn in the rotation for a few seasons now. He's as in-his-prime as it gets, physically. His career isn't about development anymore, it's about maintenance and refinement.

Having said that, I'm finished playing devil's advocate on the subject -- after we went scoreless in the top of the eighth and cut our win expectancy down to 5% or so, as someone else mentioned in the thread, it should have been turned over to the bullpen. I can live with a pitch-count spike every great now and then but it should be reserved for a truly meaningful situation and this wasn't.
    Not all who wander are lost

Fire Narron? I can't support that. Who do we think is going to do better with this group?
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cummings
    Fire Narron? I can't support that. Who do we think is going to do better with this group?
    Somebody who plays out best players?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cummings
    Davey Johnson.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

It's a micro/macro study. Jeapordize a solid pitcher for one day's results, while avoiding the component that will, over the course of the remaining games, be the factor that determines whether this team can continue to contend, or not. In the end, without much better results from the bullpen, the outcome of last night's game was insignificant. The potential long term effect on one of the teams best starters, while somewhat nebulous, should really factor more into the decision process than the more immediately tangible results of the single event (one game).
    Last edited by ochre; 07-09-2006 at 01:18 PM.

I thought it was one helluva messagesent by Harang. he said basically "I don't care if we are about to get 3 days off, I'd like to win this game, and I'm the best option."

And he was right. Harang is a big guy. With the added rest, he should be ok. But this bullpen needed a kick in the pants that only a peer could provide.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?