Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

With having no bullpen and only two starters you can count on and an offense that is prone to team slumps. I say it is time to sale. I know I will take heat for this but every year we look good for the first quarter or half then down we go. We keep thinking we have a good core, maybe if we add one or two pieces to it next year so the Reds don't make any major moves. But what if our core is the Reason for this failure every year? Dunn isn't improving, Kearns seems to be just an avg. player and Jr is always one step from the DL. Think about the Package Bronson could bring with his contract? This could be the Year to move JR like everyone wants. What could Dunn Bring? Kearns who still has enough Hype to make a very good trade. I want to win just as much as the next person but I really don't think this team has got what it takes to win over the long haul.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

Trade everyone and bring up the Dayton Dragons.

Trade everyone and bring up the Midland Redskins.

Why a firesale? Especially when a great many of the talented players on this club are either: a. under affordable contracts or b. miles away from free agency.

Go ahead and dump the oldsters, but don't complain when you get nothing for them.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Why a firesale? Especially when a great many of the talented players on this club are either: a. under affordable contracts or b. miles away from free agency.

Go ahead and dump the oldsters, but don't complain when you get nothing for them.
    Why because we say the same thing every year and fill all the holes with old guys that no one else wants, because we don't have anyone in the upper minors. This team needs to make impact trades. In order to get talent you need trade talent.

Now we have a GM who isn't Dan O'Brien though, lets give him an offseason to fill in with better players than the reject/knows how to win types DoB seemed to offer 2 year deals to.

Remember, the Marlins firesale involved very highly coveted players that brought in all that talent in their firesale, what we have may not qualify in the same way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Now we have a GM who isn't Dan O'Brien though, lets give him an offseason to fill in with better players than the reject/knows how to win types DoB seemed to offer 2 year deals to.

Remember, the Marlins firesale involved very highly coveted players that brought in all that talent in their firesale, what we have may not qualify in the same way.
    I think Bronson and Dunn could get alot talent in return. Merker and Weathers could get some low A talent. Kearns may bring more in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

No, I'm with you. Don't let a bad streak like this distract from the fact that progress has been made this year over last. Deal parts like FeLo, Kearns and Larue if it can bring quality arms, but leave the majority of the core intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    I think Bronson and Dunn could get alot talent in return. Merker and Weathers could get some low A talent. Kearns may bring more in the off season.
    Why would you trade Dunn or Arroyo whom the Reds control for two more years each? I doubt either of them bring enough back to justify their departure, and Arroyo is a low cost pitcher, If he was .500 with a decent IP total he would be worth his contract.

Mercker might net a AA reliever (see Belisle, Matt) if he pitches well up to the deadline. The consensus on the board is that Weathers is pitching with some sort of injury and I am sure his value would be very low. Kearns may have the some good trade value, but the Reds do control him for two more years as well. Aurillia Hatteburg Larue Ross and possibly Lopez are your major league chips to trade, and only Lopez holds real value.

The question becomes what do Wayne Krivsky, Jerry Narron, and Bob Castellini want the team to look like? Do they want to add some fertilizer to the mix, or do they want to prune to promote new growth?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

the team was doomed once griffey the onanistic, solipsistic, loser joined its ranks

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    the team was doomed once griffey the onanistic, solipsistic, loser joined its ranks
    Although I'm almost positive it wasn't your intent, your post does raise at least one interesting contribution to western thought: Does a Solipsist who plays a team sport automatically suffer from multiple personality disorder?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Boy arent you a ray of sunshine? I am sure it was Griffeys fault that the Reds had 2 pitchers with ERA's under 4 from 2000-2005 right?

Mike de la Hoz, is that you?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Do we have an old friend, joining us again?

I'd say that the subtext of that is that Bowden sold the story to Lindner and then couldn't get the special effects and other actors together, giving the Reds a Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century in a Star War age.

Turn Off Ads?