Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

With having no bullpen and only two starters you can count on and an offense that is prone to team slumps. I say it is time to sale. I know I will take heat for this but every year we look good for the first quarter or half then down we go. We keep thinking we have a good core, maybe if we add one or two pieces to it next year so the Reds don't make any major moves. But what if our core is the Reason for this failure every year? Dunn isn't improving, Kearns seems to be just an avg. player and Jr is always one step from the DL. Think about the Package Bronson could bring with his contract? This could be the Year to move JR like everyone wants. What could Dunn Bring? Kearns who still has enough Hype to make a very good trade. I want to win just as much as the next person but I really don't think this team has got what it takes to win over the long haul.

Re: Time to gut this team like a fish. Sale, Sale, Sale

Trade everyone and bring up the Dayton Dragons.

Trade everyone and bring up the Midland Redskins.

Why a firesale? Especially when a great many of the talented players on this club are either: a. under affordable contracts or b. miles away from free agency.

Go ahead and dump the oldsters, but don't complain when you get nothing for them.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Why a firesale? Especially when a great many of the talented players on this club are either: a. under affordable contracts or b. miles away from free agency.

Go ahead and dump the oldsters, but don't complain when you get nothing for them.
    Why because we say the same thing every year and fill all the holes with old guys that no one else wants, because we don't have anyone in the upper minors. This team needs to make impact trades. In order to get talent you need trade talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

No, I'm with you. Don't let a bad streak like this distract from the fact that progress has been made this year over last. Deal parts like FeLo, Kearns and Larue if it can bring quality arms, but leave the majority of the core intact.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Trade everyone and bring up the Midland Redskins.
    I'm originally from Ohio, but graduated from High School in Farmington, NM where the Connie Mack World Series is held every year. I have seen plenty of the Midland Redskins teams (yes even the one that had Ken Griffey Jr.) I say amen to that.

I know that it has been hard to watch this team lately but this team is only a game and a half out of the wildcard. Baseball is a funny game and anything can happen. The reds have been an up and down team this year. All it would take is one good week to put the reds back in front of the wildcard and possibly the division.

Quote Originally Posted by James B.
    All it would take is one good week to put the reds back in front of the wildcard and possibly the division.
    But it's going to take 3 good months to actually win either of those.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Now we have a GM who isn't Dan O'Brien though, lets give him an offseason to fill in with better players than the reject/knows how to win types DoB seemed to offer 2 year deals to.

Remember, the Marlins firesale involved very highly coveted players that brought in all that talent in their firesale, what we have may not qualify in the same way.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Now we have a GM who isn't Dan O'Brien though, lets give him an offseason to fill in with better players than the reject/knows how to win types DoB seemed to offer 2 year deals to.

Remember, the Marlins firesale involved very highly coveted players that brought in all that talent in their firesale, what we have may not qualify in the same way.
    I think Bronson and Dunn could get alot talent in return. Merker and Weathers could get some low A talent. Kearns may bring more in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    I think Bronson and Dunn could get alot talent in return. Merker and Weathers could get some low A talent. Kearns may bring more in the off season.
    Why would you trade Dunn or Arroyo whom the Reds control for two more years each? I doubt either of them bring enough back to justify their departure, and Arroyo is a low cost pitcher, If he was .500 with a decent IP total he would be worth his contract.

Mercker might net a AA reliever (see Belisle, Matt) if he pitches well up to the deadline. The consensus on the board is that Weathers is pitching with some sort of injury and I am sure his value would be very low. Kearns may have the some good trade value, but the Reds do control him for two more years as well. Aurillia Hatteburg Larue Ross and possibly Lopez are your major league chips to trade, and only Lopez holds real value.

The question becomes what do Wayne Krivsky, Jerry Narron, and Bob Castellini want the team to look like? Do they want to add some fertilizer to the mix, or do they want to prune to promote new growth?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Why would you trade Dunn or Arroyo whom the Reds control for two more years each? I doubt either of them bring enough back to justify their departure, and Arroyo is a low cost pitcher, If he was .500 with a decent IP total he would be worth his contract.
    Yes Arroyo is definitely a keeper. He may not be a #1, but he's exactly what the Reds need -- a guy locked into an affordable contract that gives innings and quality starts. I really doubt Arroyo's value has skyrocketed that much since the Reds got him.

IMO, it's crazy to have a firesale now. We have two good starting pitchers and a good offense. We need help on defense and bullpen, but that can be fixed in the offseason.

Since our farm is bare, it makes more sense to try to win now. If the farm system was loaded with talent (like the Marlins was), it's easier to swallow dumping the ML team because you can bring up talented replacements. Let's keep the core intact and hope Wayne can build the farm through the draft over the next 3-4 years. We may not make the playoffs in the Dunn-Arroyo-Harang era, but at least the team will be interesting to watch, and will sell tickets. The worst thing Cast could do now is to order a firesale. Remember, he's trying to win the fans back. If he orders Dunn, Arroyo, Lopez, and Harang traded for prospects (no matter how good those prospects are) he's going to lose a lot of goodwill and faith from the fans.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

So, if you told everyone in spring training that this team would be one game over .500 and within five games of the Cards for the NL Central and 1.5 games behind the wildcard spot, that we should be selling at the trading deadline?

When are we going to get out of this losing mentality and start looking at the glass as half full?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

the team was doomed once griffey the onanistic, solipsistic, loser joined its ranks

Turn Off Ads?