Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Futures Game - Game Thread

Re: Futures Game - Game Thread

Has there ever been a history of blisters with Bailey?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Well there goes that one. He threw 15-20 pitches. All fastballs.
    Hes doing exactly what Krivsky said he doesnt want him to do.
    He has a good fastball but you dont need to throw it up there for every pitch.

I guess being from Texas isn;t the only thing he has in common with Beckett. Hopefully this is a one time thing.

Homer's has thrown nothing but the heater in this game. I guess the rumors about him needing to work on his secondary pitches is true. I don't care how good your #1 is, if that is all you throw, hitters are going to eventually mash it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I would really like to see an off-speed pitch. He hasnt thrown one yet.

me too, but he had a blister, so I think that kept him from throwing any. This kid gets me excited about the Reds future

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He's got some zip on the ball....but right now it looks rather straight.

If he can work on the off speed stuff, and mix it in there, he's going to be really really good.

I do like the 96-98mph fastball though.

Homer has been compared to Beckett, watching him last year in Dayton, he has a similiar build, stuff, plus the blisters lol. Getting his secondary pitches(which we didn't see because of the blister) refined is what will bring him to the majors.

I mustve missed the blisters thing. I dont have any complaints then.

I liked that last swing by Votto. Looks like the ball jumps off of his bat.

Doug, he had a blister that broke on his pitching hand, he had blood all over his pants.

It seemed to me that when the first few hitters didn't know the fastball was coming 100% of the time, that he blew them away. Then the last few hitters were dead red on the fastball. I was really looking forward to seeing his 12-6 curve.

I have the game on DVR, so I am going to have to go back and watch it later. I was busy while watching the game, so I wasnt really listening to anything they were saying past "he can get it up to 96" after Bailey had topped 96 on the previous two pitches....

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Homer's has thrown nothing but the heater in this game. I guess the rumors about him needing to work on his secondary pitches is true. I don't care how good your #1 is, if that is all you throw, hitters are going to eventually mash it.
    Yup, disappointing outing for Bailey today. The kid has world-class stuff, but he needs to dedicate himself to learning to pitch. Maybe today will be a wakeup call that the "best of the best" that he'll face when he gets to the bigs aren't going to be wowed by seeing high-90s numbers on the radar gun.

I think everyone has a premature timetable on this kid. He's simply not reaedy to play at the next level yet.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I didn't realize he was bleeding. That explains why he wasn't throwing his curve. A lot of posters are claiming that that is how he has pitched in AA, just throwing fastballs by people. I would like to know what makes them think that. The Reds wouldn't let him do that and BA said he was throwing his curveball and even mixing in an improving change.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'm willing to let Homer slide on pitching nothing but fastballs given the bloody handprints he was leaving all over his pants (which has me worried for other, health wise reasons). But I did have similiar thoughts while watching him pitch, wondering why he wouldn't throw anything but heat. No doubt that the guys at the plate figured it out quickly and just sat on the fastball.

I'd give him a pass today, he wanted to impress, and probably pitched thru something that would have had him pulled in a Chattanooga game.

As far as Bailey throwing lots of fastballs in AA, he has been. One account I have heard is one game Bailey threw 13 off speed ptiches one game of his 85+ pitches. That is a lot of fastballs. Now that was just 1 outing, but it is a little concerning that he is throwing so few off-speed pitches when those are the ones he needs the most work with.

Turn Off Ads?