Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Futures Game - Game Thread

Re: Futures Game - Game Thread

I'm very surprised by this response. I thought Homer looked great tonight. He was firing in those fastballs, no tricks tonight, and stayed at 96-98 on just about every pitch. If he snapped off one curve he would have had that K instead of a lucky double that the guy accidentally hit to right.

Plus, his finger was bleeding the whole time from blisters. I say that is def. why he wasn't throwing a curve or change. He was very impressive tonight.

Also, did anyone notice that Votto changed his stance since Dayton. He used to look very much like Jim Thome in the past. Today he had a revamped stance and swing. I like it a lot better, and obviously the results are good too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like how Homer was a gamer and kept up his sense of humor. I also like that he was psyched up for the game.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...me/261894.html
    The second inning was the game's best. Homer Bailey got the game really going by blowing away Carlos Gonzalez in a much-anticipated matchup, hitting 96 and 97 on the stadium radar gun, then reared back and threw nothing but fastballs the rest of the inning after cutting his finger on a pitch. He said he simply rubbed some dirt on it and pressed on, hitting 98 at least three more times and breaking the bats of both Wladimir Balentien and Jose Tabata.

Then Bailey came into the dugout and predicted a home run by Billy Butler, who delivered a two-out, two-run shot on a 3-2 pitch. In between, Bailey paced up and down the dugout, clearly full of adrenaline after having fun with his one-inning outing; discussed guns with the security officer ("Why do all cops always carry Glocks?"); and offered help with the wireless Internet connection that never quite got going from the third-base dugout ("I have that same laptop at home, but I'm not too familiar with Firefox. I usually use Safari.")

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    ("I have that same laptop at home, but I'm not too familiar with Firefox. I usually use Safari.")
    Homer Bailey is a Mac user.

Sweetness.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

A blister is going to stop you from snapping off a tight slider or split-finger pitch, but it wouldn't have any impact on your ability to throw a changeup
    Don't you think that had something to do with ego? I'm guessing the curveball wasn't working with his blister, but if you got one inning to showcase yourself to the world and you could throw 98MPH, would you be trying to mix in changeups? Just a thought.

Votto looked sweet. He didn't catch it right, but that flyball to right field in his second at bat was a beast of a swing!

One Man Army

This might sound a bit morose, but would blood have any effect on a baseball, like spit or snot?

If you watch the game closely with DVR/Tivo then it appears as though the cut/blister is on the outside of his thumb not on the inside were he would grip. When the catcher and coach go out to check on him they split right before they get to him and you can see his thumb with blood and then he wipes off the outer knuckle. So I don't know how that would effect any pitch directly, perhaps indirectly if it was bothering him. So I guess I am saying that we shouldn't assume he has the Beckett type problem with blisters.

Here's what ESPN stated BTW in there blog:

Homer Bailey (Reds) came in throwing nothing but fastballs, mostly 94-96, touching 97, and pretty easy out of his arm too. I wonder if he came with instructions not to throw any offspeed pitches.
    Also this blurb on Votto which kind of surprised me but made sense.

Joey Votto (Reds) probably put on the biggest show during BP, which is not the same as being the most impressive. Votto launched several balls into the right-field bleachers, hitting the fence at the back of the stands at least once. He does have a wide stance and a long swing, which will limit his ability to make contact going forward. At least he didn't swing and miss during BP. That's embarrassing.
    That's disheartening however it's fixable if he wants too fix it.

One last thought. What would it take to get Umberto Sanchez from the Tigers? Felipe Lopez bats from the left side! In fact so does Votto.

Also where was Jay Bruce for this game, how does he not belong?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...00375/1071/SPT

Code:

Bailey bloodied, but unbowed
    Reds prospect gets victory at Futures Game
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    PITTSBURGH - Streaks of blood stained one leg of Homer Bailey's uniform pants Sunday.

The culprit was a small scrape on the pitcher's right thumb that sometimes develops when Bailey throws his fastball, and the nail on his middle finger scratches his thumb upon release.

"I've done it many times," the Reds' top pitching prospect said. "Look at my glove. I've got blood stains all over it. It doesn't hurt."

Bailey made a second-inning relief appearance for the U.S. team in the All-Star Futures Game Sunday at PNC Park, and challenged the five World team hitters he faced with nothing but fastballs that ranged from 92 mph to 98 mph.

Bailey left the game with a bloody thumb, one run allowed on two hits, and a surprise winning decision in an 8-5 victory by the U.S.

"It was an exhibition for me," Bailey said. "It was good to be here, but what I was really thinking was, 'Here it is. Put it in play. Get in and get out.' "

Joining the right-hander Sunday were his Double-A Chattanooga manager, Jayhawk Owens, who served as a coach on the U.S. team's staff, and Lookouts teammate Joey Votto.

"I really hope he (Bailey) learns from today," Owens said. "There were other guys throwing 100 (mph) and throwing their off-speed pitches. He gave up one run on all fastballs.

"We've talked to him about mixing it up more. This should be a great experience for him that some of the better hitters he hasn't been facing can turn on that fastball."
    Votto, who leads the Southern League in batting average (.327), home runs (19) and RBI (56), started at first base for the World team and went 1-for-2.

"I would have had a bitter taste in my mouth had I not had a little part in the game," said Votto, who today will participate in the Southern League All-Star game in Montgomery, Ala.

The first pitcher out of the U.S. bullpen Sunday, Bailey showcased the strong right arm that help make him the seventh overall pick in the 2004 draft and has some fans hoping to see the Texan later this season at Great American Ball Park.

"I've heard things here and there about that, and I think it's great," Bailey said. "But I have to take it with a grain of salt.

"(Reds general manager) Wayne Krivsky and (Reds manager) Jerry Narron know what they're doing. If I'm not ready then that's why I'm not there. But when I am ready, I'll be there."

Bailey struck out the first batter he faced on three pitches clocked at 97, 96 and 96 mph.

Eleven of the next 17 pitches Bailey threw were strikes and ranged in speed from a high of 98 mph to a low of 92 mph. He allowed two doubles and one run.

"Every time I've faced him he's been very consistent," U.S. team member and Double-A Huntsville infielder Ryan Braun said. "He's able to locate all of his pitches pretty well and obviously has great stuff."

Sunday's experience added to Bailey's already splendid season.

Invited to major-league camp this spring where he impressed Narron, Bailey was moved up to Chattanooga last month after 13 starts with Single-A Sarasota.

In three starts with the Lookouts, he's 3-0 with 22 strikeouts to just four walks and has not allowed an earned run over 17 innings.

"They've kind of been on me a little about mixing up my pitches," Bailey said of club officials. "I'll show anybody my off-speed pitches. That's fine. It's my weaker point because my fastball is good, and it always will be that way."
    I loved Bailey's fastball, but still would've like to have seen some off-speed pitches. From this article, it doesn't sound like he was told to throw all fastballs. I'm sure he'll develop off-speed pitches soon. If they become half as good as his fastball he'll be a great pitcher for us.

I thought Votto looks solid. He stance reminds me a little of Pujols. Low and wide with a real solid base. He does rock a little bit and maybe his swing is a little long, but not long like Dunn's. He looks really solid to me.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Time to bump this thread with all the recent talk forgetting how hard Homer threw at one point. I would imagine someone could trust so many of us who saw it ourselves.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?