Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 67.21%
  • No

20 32.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

I say yes. It would make the event much more interesting if they brought the truly best sluggers. Dunn, Wily Mo, Griff, BONDS ( )
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star ros

On BP Radio they said that Dunn was indeed invite to the HR Derby and he basically told them "hell no". They said that Dunn made a comment like "Playing in the HR derby when you aren't in the AS Game is like being asked to play football and then being told you're the holder."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Re: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

Holder
    Go Gators!

Re: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star ros

no. I echo Adam's sentiment.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Home Run Derby is moronic to begin with -- and then it's made borderline unwatchable by Chris Berman going "Back, Back, Back, Back...GONE!" on every home run.

You could make a great drinking game out of it, but that would actually necessitate WATCHING the Home Run derby.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The Home Run Derby is moronic to begin with -- and then it's made borderline unwatchable by Chris Berman going "Back, Back, Back, Back...GONE!" on every home run.

You could make a great drinking game out of it, but that would actually necessitate WATCHING the Home Run derby.
    I like it.

anything to do with baseball and I'm all over it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Re: Should home-run derby participants be chosen separately from overall All-Star roster?

Didn't they have a nationality theme and Hee-Seop Choi, though not an all-star, participated representing South Korea?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Didn't they have a nationality theme and Hee-Seop Choi, though not an all-star, participated representing South Korea?
    yes, last year. They aren't doing that this year. I'm glad.

the contest is entirely too long...several of the "biggest" names no longer participate and as jpup already stated, "back, back, back" is just plain sickening:thumbdown

The things I hate about HR Derby:

1. Chris Berman
    2. The whole Century 21 "Win someone a house" game. If you're going give someone a free house, make them get out in the field and work for that house. Person who shags the most flies, wins.
    3. Ballplayers in the dugout with with video cameras. I like my pro ballplayers to act like professionals and not like tourists. If you want to sit there with a video camera, sit in the stands like the rest of the fans. Exhibition or not. I just feel like they aren't taking it seriously. If the players aren't taking it seriously, then I can't.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    On BP Radio they said that Dunn was indeed invite to the HR Derby and he basically told them "hell no". They said that Dunn made a comment like "Playing in the HR derby when you aren't in the AS Game is like being asked to play football and then being told you're the holder."
    Maybe if they made it worth his time. Winner gets a new bass boat.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

No.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Maybe if they made it worth his time. Winner gets a new bass boat.
    Yachtzee I hope you're saving these one liners!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    The things I hate about HR Derby:

1. Chris Berman
    2. The whole Century 21 "Win someone a house" game. If you're going give someone a free house, make them get out in the field and work for that house. Person who shags the most flies, wins.
    3. Ballplayers in the dugout with with video cameras. I like my pro ballplayers to act like professionals and not like tourists. If you want to sit there with a video camera, sit in the stands like the rest of the fans. Exhibition or not. I just feel like they aren't taking it seriously. If the players aren't taking it seriously, then I can't.
    Besides #1 all of those sound a bit jaded/mean. The only way I can see your demands being warranted is if you owned season tickets to PNC park, then their business would be your business.

Okay, my plan to fix the Home Run Derby:

1. Two reps from each team: a current player and a recently retired "legend". The Reds, for example could be represented by Dunn and Eric Davis. Or Junior and his dad; how cool would that be?

2. Ten swings for each entrant, to determine six division champs.

3. A second round to determine the champions.

4. All players will wear mikes.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?