Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Buy or sell?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, even if the Reds aren't that good, no else is either

58 29.44%
  • Sell, baby, sell, the slide has started and it's not going to stop

30 15.23%
  • Buy/sell, sell vets and prospects to acquire young guys who can help in 2006 and beyond

109 55.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time to make the call: Are the Reds buyers or sellers

Time to make the call: Are the Reds buyers or sellers

It's July and Wayne Krivsky's got a tough call to make. I know the Reds are just a tick off the division lead and wild card, but is that a reflection of the team's quality or is it a mirage?

Here's your chance to decide.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to make the call: Are the Reds buyers or sellers

Buyers.

With how pathetic the NL is you have to make a run at it this year. Just don't be stupid about it.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-09-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Buyers.

The only question is how much to spend.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Smart buyers, don't trade the farm for short term help.
    Go Gators!

If they can get help for this year, so be it, but don't give away the store. Work towards the future. This year, IMO, is gravy, if we win anything.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It's July and Wayne Krivsky's got a tough call to make. I know the Reds are just a tick off the division lead and wild card, but is that a reflection of the team's quality or is it a mirage?

Here's your chance to decide.
    Sellers.

This team overachieved incredibly just to get to this point, and the players who carried them here have mostly fallen back to earth (see: Coffey, Todd), are in the process of falling back to earth (see: Arroyo, Bronson and Ramirez, Elizardo), or are due for a bit of a fallback (see: Ross, David).

There are also serious holes in this team in both the bullpen and the rotation. Simply put, there isn't a single proven arm in the bullpen that can be relied upon for 3 outs. It's so laughably bad that the manager is making decisions to send starters out to throw 130+ pitches in a 3 run game rather than give the ball to anyone out there. And, the back end of the rotation is positively nightmarish with some combination of Joe Mays, Eric Milton and Brandon Claussen coming out to pitch 40% of the games.

By conservative estimates, I put this team at needing 4 additional players (1 league-average starter, 2 league average bullpeners, and 1 replacement-level bullpenner). None of those players are at the cusp of making the big leagues in the minors (which is dead at the AAA level), so the Reds will have to trade to get the help. You simply can't find THAT much major league talent midseason -- and even if you could, the cost to acquire it all would make even the most gung-ho members of this board blush.

Sell some veterans -- clear some salary space, and maybe make the right blockbuster deal if it comes along. 2007 is where this team needs to be looking, because it's a long way down the rollercoaster in the 2nd half.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-09-2006 at 06:11 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Unless a hot or cold streak makes the choice obvious, I expect them to keep straddling the fence. Krivsky will make what deals he can to improve the club as long as those moves don't touch the core of the club as he sees it for 2007 and beyond -- in other words, no trades of Homer Bailey or Joey Votto for a rent-a-player. At the same time, Castellini wants to win and, more to the point, he wants to convince Cincinnati fans that he wants to win and isn't just giving it lip service. If the line breaks, then fine, wave the white flag, but not until then.
    Not all who wander are lost

It's a mirage.

Sellers. And I pray to the deity of my choice that the selling involves, at some point, some of Narron's beloved veterans. His toys must be confiscated for the good of us all.

Sell. Bronson is going back to his career avg. sell him while is value is very high. With no bullpen and the lack of a 4 and 5 starter. The lack of minor league talent to trade to improve this team would cost the Reds way too much in the future.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Sell. Bronson is going back to his career avg. sell him while is value is very high.
    Trading Arroyo is exactly what the Reds shouldn't do unless they're conceding they don't want to win until 2009. By and large, the Reds' best players are young and under the Reds' control for the next couple of years at least; there's no reason to do a total teardown and punt 2007 and 2008. The situation calls for a renovation, not a demolition.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Trading Arroyo is exactly what the Reds shouldn't do unless they're conceding they don't want to win until 2009. By and large, the Reds' best players are young and under the Reds' control for the next couple of years at least; there's no reason to do a total teardown and punt 2007 and 2008. The situation calls for a renovation, not a demolition.
    I would trade Arroyo if I could get a haul in return. I'm talking about 2 A+ pitching prospects that would be ready for 2007.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Well said. Milton/KGJ/Larue's $25 M payroll anchor is a huge missed opportunity to get whole lot better going into 2007. Fortunately Milton/Larue's burden goes away after next season. If Krivsky can figure out some way to unload a chunk of that mess between now and the end of 2006 then this team goes into 2007 in great shape.

Can we trade the one who makes the lineup call and other in game decisions for a bucket of used balls? And then bring back the one who brought us to the promised land the last time?
    Win the Division

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Buyers. It should only take one more good oar to row the boat fast enough to catch St. Louis... unless they buy a new oar, too.

Sell like there's no tommorrow.

19-8 on May 2nd

26-36 since.

Turn Off Ads?