Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Buy or sell?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, even if the Reds aren't that good, no else is either

58 29.44%
  • Sell, baby, sell, the slide has started and it's not going to stop

30 15.23%
  • Buy/sell, sell vets and prospects to acquire young guys who can help in 2006 and beyond

109 55.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time to make the call: Are the Reds buyers or sellers

Re: Time to make the call: Are the Reds buyers or sellers

I voted the Buy and sell option. Buy young players and players to help now and in the future. Sell off any Vets or players that are not expected to help or if what is offered is to good to pass up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In order for this team to BUY, they are gonna have to SELL to a certain degree.

And as far as I'm concerned - there isn't too much they can sell off that would really hurt/damage this team in the long run.

I'm really not too concerned about this year. Of course I'd love to see it happen; but I'm not gonna get upset if it doesn't as long as I feel Castellini/Krivsky are moving us in the right direction (and I think they are).

I'm not saying the below are untouchable, but I'd do my best to retain them...

Dunn, Arroyo, Harang, Coffey, Encarnacion, Phillips, Ross.

The rest are fodder IMO. And we are "stuck" with Jr.

Whatever makes it work Wayne.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

You don't pick the year, the year picks you.

Buy.

the team needs pitching...trading away arroyo and / or harang only pushes you back a couple of steps...offer up dunn and see what kind of quality pitching you can get for him...and i don't mean prospects...

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    In order for this team to BUY, they are gonna have to SELL to a certain degree.

And as far as I'm concerned - there isn't too much they can sell off that would really hurt/damage this team in the long run.

I'm really not too concerned about this year. Of course I'd love to see it happen; but I'm not gonna get upset if it doesn't as long as I feel Castellini/Krivsky are moving us in the right direction (and I think they are).

I'm not saying the below are untouchable, but I'd do my best to retain them...

Dunn, Arroyo, Harang, Coffey, Encarnacion, Phillips, Ross.

The rest are fodder IMO. And we are "stuck" with Jr.

Whatever makes it work Wayne.
    I don't know if Coffey and Ross belong on your list, but I otherwise agree. Nobody is untouchable, but the other guys should be players the Reds are very reluctant to lose, absent a great offer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I don't know if Coffey and Ross belong on your list, but I otherwise agree. Nobody is untouchable, but the other guys should be players the Reds are very reluctant to lose, absent a great offer.
    The only reason I put them on the list is because you need to retain a catcher (obviously), and LaRue IMO is highly expendable (if we can find a suc....errr.... taker).

Out of this BP, Coffey is young and the only one I'd even consider retaining.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Buyers without question. This team is almost there and to become sellers at this point would be a travesty.

Sorry. But I have to go with "SELL". I do agree if we "bought" a couple of pitchers, the Reds do have a great chance of winning the Central/or Wildcard, but beyond that I believe the pennant is out of reach.

Sorry to be down. But the good news is I have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    You don't pick the year, the year picks you.

Buy.
    I've never really bought into that line of thinking. It always struck me as another way of saying the team can only expect to win by getting extremely lucky.

Anyway, I'm not so sure the year is picking the Reds. Yeah the league is mired in mediocrity, but the Reds still don't strike me as a team likely to take advantage of it.

Personally I'm in favor of option #3. If the team gets a guy like Brandon McCarthy (picking a name out of a hat here), it can claim it's "going for it" while still loading up for the next two seasons, which strikes me as the time when the Reds can actually pick their year and luck be damned.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I've never really bought into that line of thinking. It always struck me as another way of saying the team can only expect to win by getting extremely lucky.

Anyway, I'm not so sure the year is picking the Reds. Yeah the league is mired in mediocrity, but the Reds still don't strike me as a team likely to take advantage of it.

Personally I'm in favor of option #3. If the team gets a guy like Brandon McCarthy (picking a name out of a hat here), it can claim it's "going for it" while still loading up for the next two seasons, which strikes me as the time when the Reds can actually pick their year and luck be damned.

Lateral moves, as you say, are going for it. Turn the talent we have into the talent we need. It really isn't quantum physics.

In general, I think "buying or selling" is a false dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    To a degree you're right. It's really more a matter of whether you want to acquire pieces just for 2006 or for later years or go after some hybrid solutions. I'm hybridding it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Lateral moves, as you say, are going for it. Turn the talent we have into the talent we need. It really isn't quantum physics.

Problem is, it's not really a "lateral" move. We're walking into a 7-11 trying to pay with Rubles instead of Dollars. The exchange rate on what we have (bats) vs. what we need (arms) just doesn't calculate out in our favor.

I agree -- this team can (and should) make moves designed to put them in a better position to compete today and down the road. The problem I see is that they simply don't have the capital to buy their way out of the problems that exist on the team to make it as successful as it needs to be RIGHT NOW to compete for a post-season run.

You've gotta ask yourself:
    1.) What is tradeable in this organization that will bring the value back that the team needs to compete?
    2.) How much of it can I trade before I hit the ol' Law of Diminishing Returns (i.e. the amount of runs I'm saving with better pitching isn't enough to cover the run production I'm losing trading players)?
    3.) How much of the future am I willing to sacrafice for a chance at outrunning the Cardinals and Brewers today?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Sellers.

Sell everything all the way down to VSL Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Problem is, it's not really a "lateral" move. We're walking into a 7-11 trying to pay with Rubles instead of Dollars. The exchange rate on what we have (bats) vs. what we need (arms) just doesn't calculate out in our favor.
    it could only work if you can identify undervalued/underutilized talent. Try getting players that seemed to have fallen out of favor with their current franchise. Players like Davis(cleveland), Floyd(Philly), Wuertz(Chicago), etc.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor

I agree -- this team can (and should) make moves designed to put them in a better position to compete today and down the road. The problem I see is that they simply don't have the capital to buy their way out of the problems that exist on the team to make it as successful as it needs to be RIGHT NOW to compete for a post-season run.

You've gotta ask yourself:
    1.) What is tradeable in this organization that will bring the value back that the team needs to compete?
    2.) How much of it can I trade before I hit the ol' Law of Diminishing Returns (i.e. the amount of runs I'm saving with better pitching isn't enough to cover the run production I'm losing trading players)?
    3.) How much of the future am I willing to sacrafice for a chance at outrunning the Cardinals and Brewers today?

I think that if you're smart, you can win many trades with bats acquiring arms.

And I'm okay saying, "The postseason may come or not; the first order of business is shifting what we have in abundance (several high grade offensive players that some teams will pay dearly for) for what we lack (young AND veteran pitching talent)."

I think where the armchair GMs get tangled up is in the singleminded dream of acquiring young, on-the-cusp-of-superstardom pitching talent; going for that strictly limits SO many opportunities.

Turn Off Ads?