Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd half possibilities

2nd half possibilities

Ok, thinking positive now, what changes could happen from within to give the Reds a strong 2nd half?

Here are some possibilities:

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?)

Which of these are most likely and will have the biggest impact? I'd say Claussen and Belisle. What others did I leave out?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2nd half possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Ok, thinking positive now, what changes could happen from within to give the Reds a strong 2nd half?

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00 - Not counting on it, but it will be needed for the Reds to have a chance. Mays should be off the team shortly.

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy - I don't think he's consistent enough, unfortunately.

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey - Mercker is anything but reliable.

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy - Definite possibility if he stops tipping his pitches.

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi - He won't get those numbers for two reasons 1) He needs to play and Narron seems to be a moron when it comes to EE 2) EE is not quite ready to put up those numbers in 75+ games....I would like .280, 12hr and 40rbi

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half - Just stay healthy!

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?) - Weathers need to be honest with the organization. He's not the same.

Which of these are most likely and will have the biggest impact? I'd say Claussen and Belisle. What others did I leave out?
    My responses are in bold.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan

1. Claussen returns and pitches like he's capable of including 10 - 12 quality starts and an ERA hovering around 4.00

that would be great. I would take a 4.50 ERA

2. Belisle gets more innings and turns in a second half like he had last year and becomes a reliable 7th inning guy

He'll have to pitch more than once a week to pitch well. He doesn't get enough opportunities IMO.

3. Merker continues his recent good pitching and becomes a reliable 7th and 8th inning guy to play matchups with Belisle and Coffey

That's possible, but I would prefer the Reds trade him for someone younger.

4. Coffey gets back to what he was doing earlier as the 8th inning set up guy

There is no way he can pitch like he did in April and May for an entire season, but he's better than what he has shown in the last month or so.

5. Encarnacion gets playing time and turns up the offense to the tune of a 2nd half with .300 15hr and 50+ rbi

Narron will have to be let go before that will happen unless they move him to another posistion. I can't see Narron letting him play 3rd everyday.

6. Griffey gets hot like he did last year in the 2nd half

Let's hope.

7. Weathers either figures it out or goes on the DL and someone from Louisville gets another shot (Wagner?)

Hopefully he'll get checked out over the next 3 days.

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I would hope Paul Wilson could make some starts in August, September and hopefully October.

His coming back is a VERY BIG KEY.

:wilson:
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Grant Balfour hopefully will be able to help soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    I would hope Paul Wilson could make some starts in August, September and hopefully October.

If he's a very big key, we're in deep, deep trouble because it'd be a minor miracle if he helps this team this year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    If he's a very big key, we're in deep, deep trouble because it'd be a minor miracle if he helps this team this year.
    "Friday (July 7th), right-hander Paul Wilson threw 94 pitches in six simulated innings. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Sunday in Cincinnati."
    Last edited by goreds2; 07-10-2006 at 09:04 AM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Can't really count on Claussen especially after he got rocked in his first rehab assignment.

Balfour is a Dan O'Brien acquisition. Need I say more?

Paul Wilson? Burnt toast.

Make a deal for a setup man with either Scott Williamson, Joe Borowski or Roberto Hernandez coming to Cincy.

Acquire a fifth starter like Brad Radke, Mark Redman or even RHP Jon Leiber.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

a 28 year old Balfour coming off multiple arm injuries is most likely nothing to get excited about. Same goes for Wilson. The odds are long for either player helping the Reds this season.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

All i know is... no matter what all these guys do after the break, and no matter who's playing, or who's playing where.. we gotta get some wins in the 2nd half of July or come August we will be MIA, and a great first half goes down the drain.

we have ONE win in July......ONE.

16 Games left in July and most are vs the Brewers and Astros.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

I dont understand blaming Narron for EE not being able to field, or throw, a frickin baseball.

I'll take #6 and #7. Possibly #3.

The rest is a big negatory unfortunately.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

hello, DanO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h
    I dont understand blaming Narron for EE not being able to field, or throw, a frickin baseball.
    He field it better then the solid vet group
    Go Gators!

Paul Wilson is a 33 year old pitcher with a bad throwing shoulder. He has thrown over 180 innings in a season twice. He has also never won more than 11 games in a season. The season he did win 11 games he had a WHIP of 1.38 and had a 5.38 ERA after the All-Star break. Three complete games in a 153 career starts? Paul Wilson is no savior. Watching him pitch is like watching two kids play ball in the house. You know something is going to break, you just don't when and where.

Turn Off Ads?