Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ChipR - Cincinnati Buckeyes

ChipR - Cincinnati Buckeyes

Many of you may know that we have another multi-talented individual on this forum (besides me ).

One of our resident mods, Chip, plays 2B/pitches for a traditional 1869 baseball team, based out of Cincy, called the Cincinnati Buckeyes.

They travelled up my way today to play a local team, the Champion City Reapers, outside of West Liberty, Ohio.

The Buckeyes won pretty 13-4.

I took my 10 yr old son Samuel down to watch, and we also met up with the ever lovely Kitty Duran.

It was a beautiful day, and we all really enjoyed ourselves immensely watching how they played baseball in the mid 19th century.

I also was very impressed with the knowledge the players on each team had concerning the rules, customs, and how some of today's baseball terminology came into existence. It was a very educational experience.

If anyone ever has a chance to go to one of these games, they will not regret it one bit.

I'm pretty sure this is the website....

http://www.vbba.org/members/cincibuckeyes.html

Chipster was definitely in form. Everyone has a nickname. Kitty said that Chip's is Leadfoot. I kept calling him Leadbelly!

But running the bases Kitty and I decided that we now know what happened to Dante Bichette!

But he does play a smart 2B.

Here are some pics....
    Last edited by GAC; 11-02-2006 at 07:36 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ChipR - Cincinnati Buckeyes

Chip looks scrappy
    Go Gators!

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

And here is Chip and GAC!
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 06-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

That was Chip with his victory stoggie.

Coca-Cola product placement
    Go Gators!

There was also Christian Moerlein.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

They can't afford gloves GAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    They can't afford gloves GAC?
    They didn't play with gloves then.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    They didn't play with gloves then.

Oh ok, I knew Chip was old but didn't realize just how old. Could he still run to the base,,,,in case they walked him?

You should know that, Wetzel. You were around in 1869.

GAC and his #2 son actually took some swings after the game today off one of our guys. GAC kept trying to hit sac flies.

After the game we went over to where GAC is building his new house. It is really starting to come together and it is looking great. Hopefully the family will be in their new house sometime next month.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    Oh ok, I knew Chip was old but didn't realize just how old. Could he still run to the base,,,,in case they walked him?
    I don't think you could walk then.... which really killed most player's OB%!

I think the rule was - the pitcher had to make a pitch hittable for the batter. It was a gentleman's game.

Other rules....

If caught on the first bounce, the player was out

You over ran 1B at your own risk. If you did, you could be tagged out.

They had a cowbell behind homeplate, so that when a runner scored/crossed home he'd ring the bell that a run had scored.

The "umps" could ask fans for their verdict on certain close plays. If the fans said they were safe/out, then that was the decision made.

Some of the baseball lingo came from nautical terms, from men who were recently released from the war.... on deck, in the hold
    Last edited by GAC; 07-09-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Haunted by walks

Coca-Cola wasn't invented for another 17 years. And the Sabre-metricians had real sabres.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    You should know that, Wetzel. You were around in 1869.

GAC and his #2 son actually took some swings after the game today off one of our guys. GAC kept trying to hit sac flies.

After the game we went over to where GAC is building his new house. It is really starting to come together and it is looking great. Hopefully the family will be in their new house sometime next month.

But Chip, I was only 5 years old at the time and was another 2 years before we got TV. Then I went into the Navy before we could afford an antenna.
    Cut me some slack Jack. Waite Hoyte Sr never said anything about them not wearing gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Other rules....

If caught on the first bounce, the player was out

You over ran 1B at your own risk. If you did, you could be tagged out.

They had a cowbell behind homeplate, so that when a runner scored/crossed home he'd ring the bell that a run had scored.

The "umps" could ask fans for their verdict on certain close plays. If the fans said they were safe/out, then that was the decision made.

Some of the baseball lingo came from nautical terms, from men who were recently released from the war.... on deck, in the hold
    I've seen some of the Columbus Muffins games, I thought it was pretty funny how the players had to pay the umpire right then & there if they used profanity

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

One of the Reapers came to play wearing shorts (which of course, are non-regulation) and it was explained that he was involved in a carriage accident and half his pants came off... The umpire also asked the crowd, and especially us ladies, if we were offended by the display...
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 07-10-2006 at 03:53 PM.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?