Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Lieberthal

Mike Lieberthal

Not sure if this was posted yet, but i heard we were interested in him, and im confused isnt he a catcher and we have like 3 of them already, so why in the world would we even consider a guy like him. We need pitching and Ross is our guy!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Lieberthal

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs7089
    Not sure if this was posted yet, but i heard we were interested in him, and im confused isnt he a catcher and we have like 3 of them already, so why in the world would we even consider a guy like him. We need pitching and Ross is our guy!
    I'd assume in any deal for Lieberthal we'd trade LaRue to the Phils and also get back a pitcher from the Phils.

At least, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

How many catchers can one team need?
    Go Gators!

Catchers are the smartest athletes in pro sports.

You can never have too many.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Afterall, we have first hand examples of what excellent managers they make. :
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Bob Boone???
    Go Gators!

You can never have too many.

Rumor has it Jason's been taking advantage of his bench-warming time to prepare for his upcoming "Jeopardy!" appearance.

Alex Trabek: "Wilson, Taft, and Fillmore."

JL: "Who are three people who haven't stolen my job."

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Bob Boone???
    among others

Lieberthal is two years older than LaRue, has been in decline for the past three seasons, is a pending free agent, and is making $3.5 million more than LaRue this year. What's there to like about the deal?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Lieberthal is two years older than LaRue, has been in decline for the past three seasons, is a pending free agent, and is making $3.5 million more than LaRue this year. What's there to like about the deal?
    the part to like would be who else they would throw in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    the part to like would be who else they would throw in the deal.
    and the fact that Jason LaRue's salary would be subtracted from the 2007 budget.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Man Pills

and the fact that Jason LaRue's salary would be subtracted from the 2007 budget.
    And that probably Ross is hurt far worse than they're letting on.

Remove the offense of both Ross and Encarnacion and this team will have trouble in the long run driving in runs from the right side of the plate.

I could see the Reds offering Larue and a pitching prospect for Lieberthal and reliever Arthur Rhodes.

Why it works all-around: Phillies get a starting catcher for '07 and perhaps a pitcher who could help then or beyond. Reds get a RH bat and LH arm for the pennant drive, both signed to contracts ending this season.

Assuming deal happens around July 31 deadline, Reds would pick up $2.5 million in salary this season, while shedding $5.5 million off the books for '07.

Rhodes is the key to the deal. Which guy would we get? The one pitching for a .417 BAA and 9.95 ERA in home games, or the one pitching for a .167 BAA against and 1.72 ERA in away games?

What dramatic splits and what an enigma. Rhodes does have 16 holds, tied for fourth best in the NL. At the same time, the Phillies have to want to get rid of him, what with him complaining about how his teammates' lousy play has hurt his stats. If he doesn't like the Phillies' defense, he might really get riled up over the Reds. Then again, a change of scenery could lead him to just shut up and pitch.

From what i have read the phils would probably have to pay most of lieberthals salary. Of course if there taking back the highly overpaid larue then maybe they wouldnt pay any of lieberthals salary. I do like the idea of adding rhodes though.

I hope they are not interested in Rhodes. I think Mercker is likely to have a better 2nd half than Rhodes.

Turn Off Ads?