Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Does DJ Mattox still exist?

Does DJ Mattox still exist?

simple question. he pitched pretty badly last year in Sarasota after coming back from TJ, though his K rate and HR/9 rate were both encouraging. but now i can't even find him on minorleaguebaseball.com.

so i ask, where is the rule V drafted DJ Mattox?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Does DJ Mattox still exist?

He was a six year free agent last year. The fact that he hasn't been sighted at all so far in '06 means if he isn't rehabing the arm at extended spring training he can be found selling insurance or flipping burgers somewhere out in the real world.

It's too bad about Mattox. They said he had the best change-up in the organization when he first came over from the Mets.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I believe he's in in the Can-Am League (which isn't affiliated with MLB). If that's the case, he'd be playing for the Worcester Tornadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf
    I believe he's in in the Can-Am League (which isn't affiliated with MLB). If that's the case, he'd be playing for the Worcester Tornadoes.
    Correct.

Code:
    PITCHER 	W-L  ERA  G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WP OPP
    Mattox, D.J. 	1- 2  2.52 8 8 0 0 0 35.2 30 13 10 0 2 25 30 5 .234
    Last edited by registerthis; 07-11-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    He was a six year free agent last year. The fact that he hasn't been sighted at all so far in '06 means if he isn't rehabing the arm at extended spring training he can be found selling insurance or flipping burgers somewhere out in the real world.
    I'm not saying this is some terribly mean thing that you just said, J, because I understand what you mean, but a general comment: why do people like to belittle ballplayers that don't make it? Ninety-five percent of draft signees never make the bigs. It's one thing to ridicule an Eric Milton for not living up to expectations, because Milton's paycheck has enough zeroes on it that he's compensated for the fanbase's standards. But the vast majority of minor-leaguers don't get squat for bonus money and make McDonald's-level money monthly. I think if you're going to rip on someone for the washout of DJ Mattox, you go after Dan O'Brien for using a Rule 5 pick on DJ and then building him up like he was going to be a ten-year cog in the starting rotation. (Just like you go after the scouting director or the GM or whoever that makes an unwise or overpaid draft pick.) The attrition rate is not something you throw back in the face of the player himself.

Anyway, not trying to pick on you, J. But it's why I think a fair-minded fan should be relatively unconditional in his/her support of minor-league players and saves the criticism for the organization and its leadership and development choices. Virtually every player that even sets foot in the big leagues (much less succeeds for more than a blip)- even first-round picks- is beating the odds.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 07-11-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?