Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grant Balfour minor league rehab

Grant Balfour minor league rehab (UPDATED 7/12/06)

I think it would be nice to have this thread to monitor the progress and performance of Grant Balfour as he goes through his minor league rehabilitation assignment.

Balfour, who was signed by the Reds in January after he was not tendered a contract by the Minnesota Twins, is rehabbing after having Tommy John surgery and shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff. Before his injuries, Balfour threw a mid-90s or better fastball and a good slider. He has a career 4.63 ERA over 68 innings. He compiled 74 strikouts over that time and had a WHIP of 1.46. He last pitched in the major leagues in 2004, when he recorded an OPS against of .681.

Balfour's first rehab appearance was a good one. He threw a perfect inning while striking out one.

I will try to update this with each appearance Balfour makes while on his rehab assignment.

UPDATE (7/12/06):

Balfour made his second appearance out of the bullpen in Dayton. He again threw a perfect inning, this time while striking out two. He now has two innings pitched, allowing 0 hits, 0 walks, while striking out 3.

UPDATE (7/16/06):

Balfour reported having a sore muscle in his shoulder on Sunday, and it is not known when is next rehab appearance will be. His fastball velocity was at 92-93 mph in his last appearance, (Wednesday). This is all according to the Reds website.
    Last edited by Blue; 07-16-2006 at 06:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Grant Balfour minor league rehab

i think this kid can really help us when he gets healthy hopefully all his rehab goes well and quick so we can get him here then who goes nobody kno's my guess would be standridge

Thanks alot Blue. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    I think it would be nice to have this thread to monitor the progress and performance of Grant Balfour as he goes through his minor league rehabilitation assignment.

Balfour, who was signed by the Reds in January after he was not tendered a contract by the Minnesota Twins, is rehabbing after having Tommy John surgery and shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff. Before his injuries, Balfour threw a mid-90s or better fastball and a good slider. He has a career 4.63 ERA over 68 innings. He compiled 74 strikouts over that time and had a WHIP of 1.46. He last pitched in the major leagues in 2004, when he recorded an OPS against of .681.

Balfour's first rehab appearance was a good one. He threw a perfect inning while striking out one.

I will try to update this with each appearance Balfour makes while on his rehab assignment.
    Great stuff. Any idea on how hard he was throwing? I heard he threw up 90's pre-injury...very curious as to how hard after. And thanks for this...I'll be following as well.

I saw him pitch last night. He looked good in the inning he threw. He was throwing upper 80s to low 90s last night. They are taking his rehab slow he did not throw many pitches but they held him to only the one inning last night.

I believe I heard he was throwing mid to high 90s when with the twins. Hopefully he can get back to that. If he cant get much over 90 im not sure how much help he will be considering that he wasnt dominate with a 98 mph fastball how good would he be with a 88 mph fastball. But I know it often takes some time to get velocity back so hopefully within a couple of weeks he will be throwing alot harder again.

Let's just hope he doesn't live up to his name too often...

Sorry, hadn't seen anyone use that one yet.

Where is he rehabbing, Dayton?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Where is he rehabbing, Dayton?
    Yes, Dayton.

According to the DDN he is scheduled to pitch another inning Wednesday in South Bend and two innings Saturday in Dayton. Sounds like they have him on a pretty strict schedule.

got alil captain in u?

Looks like he could shore up a bullpen if he returns to career averages.

But, anybody with a pulse, could shore up this bullpen.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This falls under the 'don't count your chickens before......' heading.

Rem

updated 7/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    updated 7/12/06

for dayton:
    1 inning
    0 hits
    0 runs
    1 K

easy E Ramirez didn't fair as well. 6 innings, 3 runs, 1 homerun.
    Last edited by toledodan; 07-13-2006 at 11:58 AM.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    for dayton:
    1 inning
    0 hits
    0 runs
    1 K

easy E Ramirez didn't fair as well. 3 innings, 3 runs, 1 homerun.
    Actually, he pitched again on Wednesday, that's what the update was for.

Turn Off Ads?