Dragons' DeJesus likes having brother in majors
He says David, 26, who plays for the Royals, is helpful, supportive.
By Laura Bernheim

Staff Writer

DAYTON — Dragons second baseman Mike DeJesus admires his older brother for more than just making it to the major leagues. David, who plays for the Kansas City Royals, keeps him stocked with high-quality baseball equipment.

"He gives me stuff when I need it, lots and lots of bats," Mike said. "It's awesome. He keeps me supplied, and it's all major-league quality stuff. It's nice to have that connection."

Baseball has always been a lifestyle in the DeJesus house.

"Ever since we were 4, we've had a bat in our hands," Mike said. "Our dad encouraged us and got us hooked."

David, 26, covers center field for the Royals and is hitting .310 in 45 games.

"We're happy, because our dad gets to watch us," Mike said. "If we weren't playing, I don't even know what he'd be doing. Baseball is his life. It's nice that we can give him something to do."

Mike, four years younger than David, never played on the same team as his brother while growing up.

"It's more like I'm following in his footsteps," he said. "But we were sure busy. It's tougher when you're young to be playing every summer and fall, but we did it for a reason and it's worked out great."

David was selected by the Royals in the fourth round of the 2000 draft. After being injured in 2001, he played in the minors until breaking into the majors for 12 games in 2003.

Despite all the competition on the field, Mike calls David nothing but supportive.

"There's not any teasing at all," he said. "With us, it's more like we pat each other on the back and help each other out. There's never a competition.

"He just tells me to do what I have to do. He wants to see me up there one day, too, so we can play together."

The Cincinnati Reds selected Mike in the 15th round of the 2005 draft. After spending a season at the rookie team in Billings, he joined the Dragons this year . He is hitting .248.

"We still keep up on each other's careers, but it's tough because he plays every day and I play every day," Mike said. "I get on the computer every night, to see how he did and talk to him."

Mike has seen David play twice, at Baltimore and in Cincinnati. "It's an amazing feeling, and I'm not even the one on the field," he said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...06dragons.html