Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules change

Rules change

This is probably a bit of a goofy topic but if you could have one rule in baseball changed what would it be?

Perhaps there is a rule you think is stupid? Maybe it hurts the game? Perhaps it takes away from the integrety of the game. Could be that it makes no sense or disrupts the flow of the game.

Personally, I am torn between the DH and the dropped 3rd strike. The DH is well...the DH. I'm sure that will spur some lively discussion but I am a fan of making the pitchers hit, and having to deal with that in later innings.

The dropped 3rd strike makes little sense to me. Perhaps there is something about it I am missing. I don't think I've ever seen someone make it to 1B by evading the tag from the catcher. Maybe a catcher forgets to tag once in a while, but my guess is that it's rare. It just seems (again to me) to be a pointless exersize.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rules change

I'd certainly vote for the DH as a rule change. I can't figure out why the rule is still there in the AL. I bet 75% of the players who change leagues comment on how they prefer the NL game. There are also scores of players like Griffey who say they do not want to DH. It seems to me that leaves a small percentage of Edgar Martinez folks who love the DH.

I have no problem with the third strike put out rule. A catcher should have to hold onto the ball. Sometimes a pitch will go to the screen on a third strike allowing the batter to reach. That's why there are so many pitchers listed in the recordbook as having recorded 4 strike outs in an inning.

Another rule I don't like is the baserunner interference on a play in front of the plate, a runner is called for interference if he runs to first in fair territory. This is idiotic because 1st base is in fair territory. It is likely that after his swing or bunt he starts in fair territory so how is he supposed to run in foul territory in order to reach a target which is in fair territory?

On the dropped third strike, it just adds that little element of chance. The ball maybe skips past the catcher and allows a Freel-like to get on base, maybe the catcher makes an errant throw to the 1b and the guy suddenly is at second because the ball skips down the line. It creates some 'reasonable' excitement IMO.

The DH should be all or none. Both should adopt it, or both should drop it. My preference would be to drop it, but thats just me. Then again imagine the Reds lineup with a DH everyday.....less Dunn, more Denorfia [in the OF that is].

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I am all in favor of dropping the DH...I think that will generate most of the discussion here. Maybe up the number of guys on a roster to 26 to help appease the players union.

Not sure I follow your stance on the passed ball strike three. Guys make it to first all the time when strike three gets by the catcher. For me, it's one of my favorite rules...ensuring that the batter is officially put out.

I may want to tweak the earned run rules a bit. Especially the one were a run is unearned on a pitcher if it scores as a result of his own error. That seems like it should count as earned against that pitcher. Of course needing to go back and adjust the last 100+ years of pitchers' ERAs would make that a little cumbersome.

I'd go with the DH.

Regarding the dropped third strike, if you keep in mind that the catcher gets credited with the put out on a K, then like any other fielder dropping the ball, the out is not attained if they don't hold on to the ball. They must then earn the put out, either by tagging the runner or completing the put out at first base.

And you see the dropped third strike frequently in little league and high school ball.

I personally prefer the DH. Today's pitchers didn't get to the big leagues with their bats. Many of them do not bat at all in college and/or the minors. And then, they have to learn to hit against big leaguers. The DH can also be used to rest a player without losing his bat in the lineup. Or it can be used to give some ABs to a utility player. The Big Red Machine could have rotated Bench, Rose, Perez and Driessen and even Bob Bailey and Mike Lum.

The rule for a save should be changed so that the tying or go-ahead run must be on base or at the plate when the pitcher enters the game. Or, the pitcher must pitch the last three innings of the game for the winning team.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

They should let fielders throw their hats, gloves, masks, etc. at batted balls. Right now, the penalty is 3 bases which is quite steep.

Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance --
    (a) To home base, scoring a run, if a fair ball goes out of the playing field in flight and he touched all bases legally; or if a fair ball which, in the umpire’s judgment, would have gone out of the playing field in flight, is deflected by the act of a fielder in throwing his glove, cap, or any article of his apparel;
    (b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;
    (c) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Ltlabner,

For the good of baseball (but not a big a deal to me), I think they need to enforce a time limit between pitches for the pitcher and batter. I think baseball would be much more popular if there were, say, 5-10 seconds between pitches rather than the 20-30 seconds it seems we have now.

For scoring rules, what I would like to see is a system where inherited runners on base that score are pro-rated bewteen the previous pitcher and the one who allowed them to score based on the runner's base. A runner at third would be split 3/4 and 1/4, on second 1/2 and 1/2, and on first 1/4 and 3/4. Example -- Harang leaves with the bases loaded and one out. Merker comes in and gives up a home run. Harang is charged with 1.5 earned runs (3/4 from the third base runner, 1/2 from the second base runner, and 1/4 from first base runner) and Merker is charged with 2.5 runs runs (1/4 from the third base runner, 1/2 from the second base runner, 3/4 from the first base runner and 1 from the batter).

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    For the good of baseball (but not a big a deal to me), I think they need to enforce a time limit between pitches for the pitcher and batter. I think baseball would be much more popular if there were, say, 5-10 seconds between pitches rather than the 20-30 seconds it seems we have now.
    There was some similar sentiment stated on this board not too long ago. Feel free to view that thread here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=47

There already is a rule in place, it's just not enforced.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

i dont know why you have to throw 4 pitches on an intentional walk--cant you just signal the umpire of this and let the runner just go on to 1st immediately without having to throw at all?

For a Level Playing Field

Here is a rule or two that I'd like to see that does not involve the actual game that is being played between the lines, but might make that game between the lines more entertaining for more fans...

A rule that says each MLB team can only spend a maximum of $XXX on their 25-man roster. $XXX includes any payments made through perks, etc. If you have a perk in a contract that amounts to more pay, then that max. amount that can possibly be made will count towards the total from the get-go. Want to call up a guy from the minors, then you have to make sure that you have the room for his pay. Want to make a trade? Then the players involved have to fit into each respective team's salary total. NO TEAM will pay a player's salary that is now playing for another team either (something in itself that is ridiculous IMO). DFA a guy? Then his salary will still count towards the total unless another team agress to pay his salary and can fit him onto their roster.

Some call this a "salary cap"... I like to think of it as giving all teams (and their fans) a level playing field. Bad management? Sure it can drag a team down. But all companies can have this problem and can rectify the situation by making management changes.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    The rule for a save should be changed so that the tying or go-ahead run must be on base or at the plate when the pitcher enters the game. Or, the pitcher must pitch the last three innings of the game for the winning team.

No time outs...three substitutions a game. Oh wait, that's soccer.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Regarding the dropped third strike, if you keep in mind that the catcher gets credited with the put out on a K, then like any other fielder dropping the ball, the out is not attained if they don't hold on to the ball. They must then earn the put out, either by tagging the runner or completing the put out at first base.
    I have no problem with the third strike put out rule. A catcher should have to hold onto the ball. Sometimes a pitch will go to the screen on a third strike allowing the batter to reach. That's why there are so many pitchers listed in the recordbook as having recorded 4 strike outs in an inning.

Hey...never really thought about it that way guys. Thanks. I was thinking more of the dropped stike that lands at the catchers feet and he simply applies the tag. But yes, the ball may slip past him, muffs the throw.

So there you go! Keep the 3rd stike rule!

Turn Off Ads?