Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Reds top 10 Prospects....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Your Reds top 10 Prospects....

I figure its the midway point of the season. What better time to revamp your top 10 prospects lists? Lets see everyones lists.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Reds top 10 Prospects....

I would think Bailey would be the obvious #1

Bailey
    Bruce - Another natural choice, BA says they are both up for minor league player of the year
    Denorfia - great season major league ready is the only thing that would put him over Votto
    Votto - Having a great season and an upper level prospect
    Stubbs - I can't imagine he'd be over Votto and Denorfia but hes started off well and top picks normally debut high on the top 10.
    Wood - higher ceiling lower level prospect having a good season.
    Cuento
    Dumatrait
    Pelland pitching well, stays around the same place he was this offseason?
    LeCure?

I like LeCure over Moran... Symzanski.... Zach Ward?

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Chris Denorfia
    5. Drew Stubbs
    6. Travis Wood
    7. Johnny Cueto
    8. Phil Dumatrait
    9. Adam Rosales
    10. Tyler Pelland

It's funny, but I actually like these guys. In the past 2-3 years, looking at a list of the Reds Top 10 prospects was like looking at a Sears catalog for Christmas when you were a kid.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

1. Bailey
    2. Bruce
    3. Votto
    4. Denorfia
    5. Cueto
    6. Wood
    7. Ward
    8. Moran
    9. Pelland
    10. Shafer

No new draftees included.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Chris Denorfia
    5. Drew Stubbs
    6. Travis Wood
    7. Johnny Cueto
    8. Phil Dumatrait
    9. Adam Rosales
    10. Tyler Pelland

It's funny, but I actually like these guys. In the past 2-3 years, looking at a list of the Reds Top 10 prospects was like looking at a Sears catalog for Christmas when you were a kid.

Rosales has a .213 batting average in 122 at bats in Sarasota...

Have to admit this is the best top 10 i've seen in awhile.... probably since the Kearns and Dunn days. High ceilings at the top, good prospects at the bottom. 9 and 10 could be 15 to 20 different guys....

unfortunately of that top 20 theres what... 5 OF? We are even crowded at the ML level... but i guess thats a good thing...

It seems to me that Jay Bruce could have the highest ceiling of any player that has played in Dayton. His numbers are nearly unheard of at that age.

1. Bruce
    2. Bailey
    3. Votto
    4. Denorfia
    5. Cueto
    6. Wood
    7. Stubbs
    8. Ward
    9. Pelland
    10. Dumatrait
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Willie0023

1. Bruce - I think hes going to be special, and be a better pro than Bailey. I know I will be ridiculed for this, but lets see how it plays out.

2. Bailey - Great arm action. Going to be a good pro. (But not as good as Bruce)

3. Votto - Hits with tons of raw power. If he continues to harness that he eill be a good one.

4. Zach Ward - You HAVE to see this guy to appreciate him. SICK movement, and a HUGE competitor. Hes going to be a good one. He's dominating the Midwest league right now, and should get a promotion. Needs to learn Woods change-up.

5. Travis Wood - Throws hard for a lefty, and can keep you guessing with his changeup. Changes speeds great for a guy his age. Needs to learn Wards breaking pitches.

6. Tyler Pelland
    7. Phil Dumatrait
    8. Drew Stubbs
    9. Chris Denorfia
    10. Johnny Cueto

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Willie, I dont really think its so clear cut that Bailey is ahead of Bruce. I think both of them have VERY bright futures ahead of them, and really, how many teams have a 1-2 punch like that? Not many.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh
    Rosales has a .213 batting average in 122 at bats in Sarasota...
    I know. For the 10th spot it was a toss up for me between Rosales, Pelland, and Zach Ward. I should have gone with Ward and Pelland, but Rosales is a middle infielder who has a good arm and glove, and good pop in his bat. He had a real good year last year, although he's struggled this year, I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and include him as a Top 10 guy because he's a middle infield guy, and the best one that we have, IMO.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I left off Dumatrait because he faded just before his promotion and has not done well since. I don't know if he is overworked (after his injury) or is in a "dead arm period" or what. But I'm disappointed with his numbers lately.

I added Shafer at no. 10 because I think there are some good relievers in the system who should get notice. Medlock is another. Guevera pitched better earlier, but still seems good.

Olmedo has too much major league experience. If I was going out to 15, I would include Jesse Guttierez who has always been a supposed "non-prospect" but who always hits and probably could be a platoon/bench player in the major leagues if given a shot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-11-2006 at 02:55 PM.

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Chris Denorfia
    5. Drew Stubbs (I'm not worried about his slow start)
    6. Zach Ward
    7. Johnny Cueto
    8. Travis Wood
    9. Javon Moran
    10. Sean Watson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Johnny Cueto
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Zach Ward
    7. Drew Stubbs
    8. Richie Gardner (assuming he gets through his rehab and returns to 2004 velocity)
    9. BJ Szymanski (push him up the ladder already)
    10. Tyler Pelland

Javon Moran, Phil Dumatrait, William Bergolla, David Shafer, Calvin Medlock, Jon Coutlangus, Jesse Gutierrez, Miguel Perez, Paul Janish, Drew Anderson, and Carlos Guevara are all capable of helping a big-league club, but their ceilings seem a little lower. Part-timers and relievers. And I think ceiling is what you're looking for in a top ten. So I was looking for starting pitchers and everyday players, even though any of those few I just mentioned might make the bigs first.

I don't think pitchers in their first pro season can be properly evaluated. Even though the batch of college relievers that Chris Buckley picked up have been pretty decent so far.

And I don't count Denorfia. He's done developing.

1. Homer Bailey, rhp - His recent domination in Chattanooga forced me to put him ahead of Jay Bruce at No. 1.

2. Jay Bruce, of - Bruce is displaying incredible power for a 19 year old kid, very rarely do you see such a young kid hitting for as much power as Jay Bruce is. Bruce is also starting to display plate discipline by putting up a 8 bb/8 k rate in 36 atbats in July. I'd say he is living up to those Larry Walker comparisons. So far.

3. Joey Votto, 1b - Votto is having one of the best seasons in the minors for a hitter. Leading his league in all three triple crown categories, hit third in the Futures and Southern League ASG, etc. Joey's raw power is finally developing and add in his solid plate discipline and you have a future star on your hands.

4. Chris Denorfia, cf - Denorfia won't wow you with his tools, but he gets the job done. Solid plate discipline, good speed, and good bat on the ball skills make Denorfia a candidate to be a leadoff type hitter in the majors. Maybe a Brady Clark?

5. Johnny Cueto, rhp - Fastball that tops out in the mid 90's along with three other usable pitches make Cueto the second best pitching prospect in the Reds organization, IMO. Was rushed to Sarasota where he has struggled with command, but still, his last start was encouraging.

6. Travis Wood, lhp - It came down to Wood or Zach Ward for the 6th spot, factor in Wood being a lefty plus his younger age and Wood gets the advantage. A lefty with good velocity, a plus-plus changeup and a deleoping curveball makes Wood an enticing prospect.

7. Zach Ward, rhp - A sinker baller/power pitcher with a good pitcher's frame, Ward is a guy I really like. His pitch repertoire and stuff should make him a great fit for the Great American Ballpark. His size will remind you of Brad Penny, delivery of Darryl Kile, and hopefully similar major league careers.

8. Drew Stubbs, cf - Meh, I hate placing players in the top 10 based on potential along, but I couldn't really think of a better pick to slot here. Stubbs could go either way(Eric Davis maybe? or Szymanski on the downside) but I would be more than happy with a Mike Cameron type of career.

9. David Shafer, rhp - Shafer is a guy I think could help the Reds bullpen as in the very near future. He projects as a solid middle reliever in the majors, maybe a setup man.

10. Phil Dumatrait, lhp - Another guy I project as a solid reliever out of the bullpen, maybe as soon as the rosters expand in September. Dumatrait barely cracked my top 10 over LeCure, Pelland, Guevara, Medlock, Parker, and Watson, but the fact that he is in Triple-A won me over.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-11-2006 at 04:39 PM.

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Denorfia (they need to figure out a way to get him to Cincy)
    5. Cueto
    6. Wood
    7. Ward
    8. Dumatrait
    9. Pelland
    10. LeCure

The new draftees are too new for me to assess. Honorable mention goes to Paul Janish for his defense, and Bergolla and Olmedo (both of whom I prefer to Golden Hands). Gardner and Pauly hopefully will get healthy and re-emerge at some point.

BigBrother

1. Bailey - Needs to learn to change speeds, fastballs only go so far
    2. Bruce - WOW!! Be patient, start at AA next year
    3. Votto - Needs to work on defense, offensively a monster
    4. Ward - Needs a promotion!!
    5. Denorfia - OBP at .409.. Very Nice
    6. Wood - Sick changup!! Needs to learn to keep ball down in strikezone, that's why he's one of the leaders in the MWL in gopher balls allowed
    7. Medlock - Good middle innings type of guy
    8. Shafer - Give him a shot to close now, what's it gonna hurt!!
    9. Cueto - Good at changing speeds and blowing A- guys away. Keep the ball down.
    10. Dumatrait - Still adjusting to AAA
    10. Stubbs - Loads of potential, only time will tell

Turn Off Ads?